Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Vulcano Black Giulia Quadrifoglio
4,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For those of you that have it, how do you like it and how does it compare to other cars?

I wanted it but couldn't have it because it only comes bundled with the infrared windshield.

·
Registered
765 Posts
I usually have it turned off. Where I am some of the roads are barely two lanes with lines suggesting where bikes should drive. Sometimes cars have to go onto the sidewalk or into the bike to pass another car so I find it comes on a bit too much. Also seems to activate more than I like on the highway or whipping around mountain twisties. Might be better if you live in a place with wide straight roads.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,716 Posts
I find it helpful and reassuring during my long night time drives on boring roads. I turn it off for my run over Sonora Pass, with its 10' wide often poorly marked lanes.

Similarly, I find ACC a very nice feature when driving in boring heavy traffic; pointless on "real" roads.

·
Registered
399 Posts
I like it find it make me a better driver in i use my signals and are more aware. If you for get it reminds you. Looks like you have a Q.V. thought it was available on all QVs.

·
Registered
630 Posts
It's one of those things that stays in the background until you really need it during a momentary lapse of attention and hopefully that one time it will assist you and perhaps even mitigate or avoid a crash. I have the warning set to "late" in the infotainment system and I leave it on almost all the time. Every once in a while it has a false positive due to poor lane markings/ road construction/ snow. In the winter they often pre-treat the road surface with a brine solution that when sprayed out the nozzles creates a bunch of white lines on the road surface and that trips a false positive every time. Thankfully you can easily turn it on/off using the button on the end of turn signal control stalk. I am a habitual turn signal user (literally 99.999% of the time) but even I found the lane departure warning to be too aggressive when set to "early" in the infotainment system.

That being said, the technology that I really appreciate most is the Forward Collision Warning, Automatic Emergency Braking and Adaptive Cruise Control. They're all included in the Driver Assistance Dynamic Package (along with LDW) and are the main reason to tick the box.

·
Registered
386 Posts
I keep it turned off unless I am feeling a bit tired or distracted. On country roads where you dont necessarily want to stay perfectly in your lane all the time due to crappy road conditions or nonexistant shoulders it is just an annoyance.

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
I have LDW and like having it, although I only use it in one specific condition, which is at night when I’ve been out drinking and want to avoid police attention. I normally use the road pretty liberally, so I keep LDW off to avoid the annoyance, but on those weekend and holiday nights when the cops are particularly on alert, my, shall we say “loose,” driving style could be interpreted as reason for a stop, which I don’t want in any case, and particularly not if I have been drinking. I don’t drive drunk, of course, and will just take an Uber out if I think I’ll drink enough to impair my judgement and/or driving, but I think avoiding police traffic stops is a matter of best practice and use a variety of technologies to do just that, including LDW.

·
Registered
2018 Vulcano Black Giulia Quadrifoglio
4,416 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
OP here,

The LDW is only available with the driver assistance package on the QV which I did not get because I didn't want the infrared windshield which would interfer with my detector. But I did have LDW on my old car and so far I don't miss it but think I may eventually

·
Registered
74 Posts
Funny story: I didn't know the car had LDW. Didn't care, just wanted a loaded Giulia Q.

My wife drove the car one day and turned it on (without knowing). I get back in the car and suddenly this 'whump whump whump' goes off in my door and I'm thinking "What the F????"

Didn't take long to figure it out, but there you have it. I bought an $80k car and didn't know it even had one of the features it has.

All that said, I find it annoying as ****. It stays off.

·
Registered
333 Posts
I like the function and leave it on all the time. It has reminded me a few times to pay more attention to what I am doing.

·
Registered
67 Posts
Mine is turned off. The construction on the highway I take every day to work has such a mixture of new stripes, old stripes, ground down stripes, etc. that live drivers can barely figure out where the lanes are, and machines have no chance at all.

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Well thanks for the remainder....I switched it off couple of months ago amd forgot I have it....

It is mindly anoying with its farting sound however still better than Audi which would actually interfere with steering....

Before I forgot I have it I would only use it on longer highway drives...I also like to use country twisty roads rather liberally...

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,437 Posts
I want something that makes a noise in other cars when they stray into the lane I'm using.

·
Registered
Tipo 33 Stradale 1/18 scale
3,734 Posts
i dont know if its the cheap paint we use as line markings but mine doesnt always light up even when the lines are fairly bright - anybody else have that (third world) problem ?

·
Registered
285 Posts
So is the LDW just to warn you when you're about to depart the lane? My current car keeps the car more or less centered in the lane. This drastically reduces driver workload on long highway trips. Sadly it seems like most systems are not this way.

·
Registered
735 Posts
I found it to work the same as on a MDX Acura. It seems to be very precise to the point to be annoying at times. If you don't want it to be bothering you you can turn it off.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,437 Posts
It took me over 1½ years to notice the cluster symbol illuminates.

·
Registered
630 Posts
So is the LDW just to warn you when you're about to depart the lane? My current car keeps the car more or less centered in the lane. This drastically reduces driver workload on long highway trips. Sadly it seems like most systems are not this way.

Lane Departure Warning (LDW) provides a warning to the driver when it appears they’re not maintaining the intended lane of travel (due to driver distraction or failure to indicate a lane change).

Lane Keeping Assist (LKA) is an active driver assistance system that performs automated lateral acceleration control meant to keep you in your lane. This requires a steering system that can provide steering output independent of hand wheel inputs. With LKA there are typically two types: a more basic performance level that more or less bounces between lane markings and a more advanced performance kind that tries to keep you centered within the lane itself.

·
Registered
285 Posts
Which does the Alfa have?

Lane Departure Warning (LDW) provides a warning to the driver when it appears they’re not maintaining the intended lane of travel (due to driver distraction or failure to indicate a lane change).

Lane Keeping Assist (LKA) is an active driver assistance system that performs automated lateral acceleration control meant to keep you in your lane. This requires a steering system that can provide steering output independent of hand wheel inputs. With LKA there are typically two types: a more basic performance level that more or less bounces between lane markings and a more advanced performance kind that tries to keep you centered within the lane itself.
Which one does the Giulia have?

1 - 20 of 29 Posts