Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
901 - 920 of 1021 Posts

·
Premium Member
2018 TI Sport Q4
357 Posts
Wondering how many Alfa’s are sold each year with the 2.0 turbo? COBB recently started offering Accessports for GTI’s, subaru ascents/outbacks and several Ford turbo engines; wondering how those compare numerically to Alfa’s total available market? I just put a COBB on my roadtrip/camping vehicle, a Subaru Ascent Touring, and it’s a game changer for that car.
The sales fugues isn't even close. The Giulia just doesn't move a lot of units compared to most other cars.

Its one of the main reasons why we dont have much of a aftermarket. Big compainies that shovel money in to performance R&D parts arent interested in the Giulia platform. Its the primary reason for the lack of bigger turbos. Enthusists like @kozak @bhvrdr and my self have to put up our cash and work with companies to do our own R&D.

Rectangle Font Parallel Screenshot Number

Font Number Rectangle Screenshot Parallel

·
Registered
53 Posts
Great information. I know the guys who own COBB and might have been able to provide a suggestion they consider the Giulia platform. Even if say 30% of Giulia owners to date bought an accessport, it probably still wouldn’t be enough to clear their ROI requirements. They purchase a car or two of each model they support and put it through a rigorous development process, as they don’t want to screw up the ECU’s of unsuspecting customers. It’s too expensive to litigate and more importantly, the enthusiast community across all brands is just too tight knit to allow for development failures.

But all this said, I am still gonna poke ‘em and see if they will consider it!! 😉

·
Registered
2019 Giulia Ti Q2, Performance Pack
2,457 Posts
Great information. I know the guys who own COBB and might have been able to provide a suggestion they consider the Giulia platform. Even if say 30% of Giulia owners to date bought an accessport, it probably still wouldn’t be enough to clear their ROI requirements. They purchase a car or two of each model they support and put it through a rigorous development process, as they don’t want to screw up the ECU’s of unsuspecting customers. It’s too expensive to litigate and more importantly, the enthusiast community across all brands is just too tight knit to allow for development failures.

But all this said, I am still gonna poke ‘em and see if they will consider it!! 😉
Yeah and unfortunately the number of auro buyers that actually tune their car is probably less than 1 percent

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Yeah and unfortunately the number of auro buyers that actually tune their car is probably less than 1 percent
i agree it’s small. But sort of chicken and egg. If there was a legit tuning option and turbo upgrade it may persuade more to buy the car. Especially used at $25k. Throw $5k on turbo and tune and it can put up mustang gt numbers. Maybe even m2 numbers. Not bad for a sedan.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
i agree it’s small. But sort of chicken and egg. If there was a legit tuning option and turbo upgrade it may persuade more to buy the car. Especially used at $25k. Throw $5k on turbo and tune and it can put up mustang gt numbers. Maybe even m2 numbers. Not bad for a sedan.
Agree and i have no data to support this but i believe there are probably more enthusiasts / modders as a percentage basis on Alfas than some others.

·
Registered
4,168 Posts
Agree and i have no data to support this but i believe there are probably more enthusiasts / modders as a percentage basis on Alfas than some others.
I think some would hang onto the car instead of trading it in if modding it makes it considerably faster. Trap at 99 stock. 103-104 tuned isn’t going to sway many. Trap at 112-133mph on a turbo and you’ll catch some attention. The more alfas at tracks the better for the brand imo. Every track I go to people ask about and I’m always the only Alfa. Start seeing run fast and often I think you can see aftermarket increase. Pricing is everything though. $20k for qv turbo upgrades and your in no mans land.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Communicated with COBB and as much as they would like to, they regret they can’t provide Accessports for Giulia’s. As everyone guessed the available market is just numerically too small. They will provide us with the names of reputable Tuners in the US who can download a WinOLS file from BC Automotive for Giulia’s. They also recommended a COBB sister company in Europe called Ecutek that may have downloadable tunes for Alfa’s. Hope this helps.

·
Registered
79 Posts
Unless things have changed, you have to send ECUtek your ECM for each flash. We worked with them in the early modding years on the Mazdaspeed 3&6 platforms. Great company, just took forever for US custys.

·
Registered
339 Posts
I used ECUtek in the past on a different platform. It was an amazing tool. You just needed a laptop and a little know how and you could do just about anything you wanted. You could even add flex fuel sensors to the stock ECU and use ECUtek to program/set it up so the car could use it. That being said the number of platforms they supported at that time was fairly small so I doubt they would be willing to do R&D for the Giulia when there are still lots of other more profitable cars to offer tuning software for

·
Registered
53 Posts
Yes, I checked Ecutek’s website and didn’t see any Alfa tunes. Planning to reach out directly to make sure that it’s up to date.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Have they figured out a price on the modification?
They kept the price the same.

1899 euro. No vat fees. You pay shipping.

This includes brand new oem turbo.

Custom gr2867r wheels in both compressor and turbine side.

No china parts.

Full 12 month unlimited mileage warranty

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Throw that snail in. I hate palm for tuning? Use Jb4 until another option?
Im pleading with @IdealRace but i know hes busy. Im going to test with jb4 and see where that gets us. If @[email protected] can give us electronic wastegate control like he has on other platforms the jb4 would be perfect but we don't have that now so i could get limp modes. We'll see. I have a buddy who has a shop and has full alientech suite for all cars so id have to tune it myself which is alot of time. Well see.

·
Premium Member
2018 TI Sport Q4
357 Posts
Im pleading with @IdealRace but i know hes busy. Im going to test with jb4 and see where that gets us. If @[email protected] can give us electronic wastegate control like he has on other platforms the jb4 would be perfect but we don't have that now so i could get limp modes. We'll see. I have a buddy who has a shop and has full alientech suite for all cars so id have to tune it myself which is alot of time. Well see.
Wastegate control and fuel pressure would be ideal with the JB4.

Are you going to run a high flow or catless downpipe?

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
Wastegate control and fuel pressure would be ideal with the JB4.

Are you going to run a high flow or catless downpipe?
Id prefer not to but i need to look at wastegate duty and egt to make that call.

Ultimately it'd be nice to have a completely invisible plug and play install. May not be possible.

·
Premium Member
2018 TI Sport Q4
357 Posts
Id prefer not to but i need to look at wastegate duty and egt to make that call.

Ultimately it'd be nice to have a completely invisible plug and play install. May not be possible.
I mean, a hammer and a screw driver and you can gut the stock cat and throw a spacer on the secondary o2 sensor. 😂

If your running high ethanol gas you'll likely pass a sniffer anyways.

Disclaimer: Please understand all federal and state emission laws, and how they effect you and others. I'm not your dad idgaf what you do to your car.

·
Registered
2,457 Posts
I mean, a hammer and a screw driver and you can gut the stock cat and throw a spacer on the secondary o2 sensor. 😂

If your running high ethanol gas you'll likely pass a sniffer anyways.

Disclaimer: Please understand all federal and state emission laws, and how they effect you and others. I'm not your dad idgaf what you do to your car.

Lol this is true. Wouldn't be the first time ive gutted a cat

901 - 920 of 1021 Posts