Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

21 - 40 of 67 Posts

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
I hate when people say "buy a qv". Look, we all cannot afford a 50k+ car, that's the dumbest **** anyone can say in response to this thread or any thread that is about the 2.0. I wonder if people on the BMW threads that own m series cars say that **** to people that want to mod and own the 3 series cars.
If looking to do custom turbos, IC, fueling, exhaust, etc you are looking at 10-15k+. What's the average price for a 2.0? The "buy a QV" argument isn't nonsensical for those looking to do these types of mods.

·
Registered
291 Posts
I hate when people say "buy a qv". Look, we all cannot afford a 50k+ car, that's the dumbest **** anyone can say in response to this thread or any thread that is about the 2.0. I wonder if people on the BMW threads that own m series cars say that **** to people that want to mod and own the 3 series cars.
If looking to do custom turbos, IC, fueling, exhaust, etc you are looking at 10-15k+. What's the average price for a 2.0? The "buy a QV" argument isn't nonsensical for those looking to do these types of mods.
bought my Giulia for 24k. Even with 15k in mods your still under 40 grand. Cheapest I've seen qv's are 49. So it is dumb for people to say "buy a qv".

·
Registered
308 Posts
They do, but it's an easier argument when a 340i has an engine very similar to an M3 engine and can easily be made to make similar power.

·
Registered
250 Posts
Unfortunately it seems Euro Compulsion is not interested in pushing boundaries on this platform. Though the Euro shop bench flashers are also worse in this regard too so there's a leg to stand on at least.

I'm in talks with someone in the US who does MyGenius handhelds custom tunes like EC does unless EC wants to work with some of us trying to push the platform. I've talked to Greg and Toby first before anyone else and they don't seem to want to be leading the market as I gave them an option. Thus I'm left without choice to look elsewhere.

Even talked to HPTuner software company since they have massive tuning tables for the ZF8 tcu already on FCA/GM vehicles to see how much more complex the MM10 ecu is to their software.
Actually, no, I never said or indicated anything of the sort. I believe my exact words to you were: "In order for us to do a P3 file, especially for a hybrid turbo, that is something we need to test in house with extensive development. At the moment we're not at that stage yet..."

You contacted me asking to give you the timing values we use in our tune, information on how we tune for boost, and then pre-supposed that I would commit to giving you a Phase 3 tune file (that doesn't exist) for a hybrid turbo (that I have never seen, have no specs on, haven't tested, and technically doesn't exist) that you essentially want me to "e-tune".

That turbo has an independent electronic wastegate actuator system, vapor siphoning system, among other things that need to be precisely dialed in and tested extensively for a big turbo tune on this car. You won't get very far unless there are enhancements to the cooling system either (which don't exist at the moment), and testing to ensure the coolant supply system can handle what you would in-theory throw at an upgraded turbo.

So in short, no, we will do something like this in-house (that we can spec ourselves) on our own test car that I can dyno and road test extensively as needed to properly develop a system that an end user can purchase.

·
Registered
5,612 Posts
The stock QV also passes smog and won't get you a very expensive fine for violating federal smog laws and it is much less likely to blow up than a heavily modified 2.0T.

QV also gets you race mode, which lets you use all of that power.

I have a Q4 because I need AWD and I need good highway fuel economy. However, I definitely do not need modifications that are obviously illegal to use on the street anywhere in the USA. "I don't care about the risk to my finances" and "nobody enforces smog laws in my area" does not resolve the irresponsible risk to other people's health.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #26 (Edited)
I understand what you're saying but isn't buying a QV an easier option, especially when prices for leftovers are low.
Can get brand new left over for $57k but you have active aero that's heavy and can malfunction, bigger brakes which makes fitting 18x9-10" wheels impossible, more complex exhaust, high maintenance engine with unknown reliability. It's more expensive to mod with needing 2 of everything and QV tax.

You would think qv would be a better solution, but modding and repair costs added the 2.0 explotation will be much cheaper parts wise
Correct if done right and chosen right companies to work with you can spend less and be very fast. I can find 2.0T engines for ~2,500. Or bare block and build them relatively easy.

I think what he is saying is why spend big $$$ on *big* modifications on a 2.0 when you can buy a (discounted) QV and keep it stock and still have more power/warranty/aero/race mode/etc etc.
I prefer the lighter weight and balance of the 2.0T and the torque. Also 1 turbo to upgrade, 1 downpipe and 1 cat to replace, easier catback setup. The engine in the 2.0T is full forged just like the QV. When driven normal it has better MPG around 10mpg better. 2.0T is a world engine platform and far more abundant and cheaper to replace/build. Insurance is less on car.

I agree, I can afford 70k car like my Hellcat and many other cars I've bought and built but that is beyond the point. I bought my Ti Sport Q2 new in the 30s and with 10k or less in mods I would be as fast as QV or slightly faster with less headaches and QV tax. If and when come time to sell I can part out easier because there is a bigger pool of owners possibly willing to modify. I also had 2 BMW 335i both built on the N54 and N55 engine. The 328 N20 2.0T is also a very nice engine to modify. The CLA45AMG 2.0T is a great engine to modify and is derived from F1 tech too. I've also owned Evos which were 2.0T.

Ultimately I like to build things and push the boundaries Q2/Q4 or QV doesn't matter. I'm a bit thrown back at the lack of option on the market and underwhelming support for a hybrid turbo(at the least) at this stage of the platform which is what prompted me to make this post.
I've talked to thus far talked with
AMR Performance
Euro Compulsion
Burger Motorsports
HPTuners
And 2 other companies.

I also have 2 companies for turbo building and cooling that I have also reached out to which I will keep quite for now. For hybrid spec unit and possible radiator/heat exchangers for the oem AtoW cooler. There is no reason that I'm able to do this in less than 2 months of ownership when this car has been out for over 2 years. I'm also already FBO power mods; intake, downpipe, catback, plugs and tuner which is why I have the need for more power and cooling next.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Can get brand new left over for $57k but you have active aero that's heavy and can malfunction, bigger brakes which makes fitting 18x9-10" wheels impossible, more complex exhaust, high maintenance engine with unknown reliability. It's more expensive to mod with needing 2 of everything and QV tax.

Correct if done right and chosen right companies to work with you can spend less and be very fast. I can find 2.0T engines for ~2,500. Or bare block and build them relatively easy.

I prefer the lighter weight and balance of the 2.0T and the torque. Also 1 turbo to upgrade, 1 downpipe and 1 cat to replace, easier catback setup. The engine in the 2.0T is full forged just like the QV. When driven normal it has better MPG around 10mpg better. 2.0T is a world engine platform and far more abundant and cheaper to replace/build. Insurance is less on car.

I agree, I can afford 70k car like my Hellcat and many other cars I've bought and built but that is beyond the point. I bought my Ti Sport Q2 new in the 30s and with 10k or less in mods I would be as fast as QV or slightly faster with less headaches and QV tax. If and when come time to sell I can part out easier because there is a bigger pool of owners possibly willing to modify. I also had 2 BMW 335i both built on the N54 and N55 engine. The 328 N20 2.0T is also a very nice engine to modify. The CLA45AMG 2.0T is a great engine to modify and is derived from F1 tech too. I've also owned Evos which were 2.0T.

Ultimately I like to build things and push the boundaries Q2/Q4 or QV doesn't matter. I'm a bit thrown back at the lack of option on the market and underwhelming support for a hybrid turbo(at the least) at this stage of the platform which is what prompted me to make this post.

I've talked to thus far talked with

AMR Performance

Euro Compulsion

Burger Motorsports

HPTuners

And 2 other companies.

Euro Compulsion is the only company that is not interested. I also have 2 companies for turbo building and cooling that I have also reached out to which I will keep quite for now. For hybrid spec unit and possible radiator/heat exchangers for the oem AtoW cooler. There is no reason that I'm able to do this in less than 2 months of ownership when this car has been out for over 2 years. I'm also already FBO power mods; intake, downpipe, catback, plugs and tuner which is why I have the need for more power and cooling next.
What are you using for plugs?

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

·
Registered
291 Posts
The stock QV also passes smog and won't get you a very expensive fine for violating federal smog laws and it is much less likely to blow up than a heavily modified 2.0T.

QV also gets you race mode, which lets you use all of that power.

I have a Q4 because I need AWD and I need good highway fuel economy. However, I definitely do not need modifications that are obviously illegal to use on the street anywhere in the USA. "I don't care about the risk to my finances" and "nobody enforces smog laws in my area" does not resolve the irresponsible risk to other people's health.
You have obviously never modded a car. I've never been one to buy a car and leave it the way it is. There are millions of car enthusiasts around the world that do exactly what you say is bad.

·
Registered
1,447 Posts
I think the real problem is with the break even, production market right now. Dealerships are closing as FCAs pulls back to optimize and cut the dead wood that did not produce. You see this in brake pad options and kits for otherwise new market brembo systems. Wheel options are also slim and I had to do custom work in both areas to get where I wanted to be last winter. Sit tight or go ahead and crack open your powerplant to start taking measurements and make stencil patterns. I just did a mod to make my side vents functional. Luckily Alfa left a skeleton that could take the wiper cowl mods without any cutting. The passenger side vent could also work with a new flat backing plate. I dremeled edge holes in the stock one instead but I might whip up a new plate down the road. I am pretty sure it could mount to the grill with small screws. MacGeek has access to the service manuals and I might just buy a CD/Stick next month. Mopar has them on the catalog site for $198. As long as you stick to IHI turbos, "Ingeniere" N. Materazzi from F40 fame will probably approve. Check out this interview with subs.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AlX-kgJuzxU
This is a GREAT video! Thank you for sharing it! I love the part where he told ZF to keep their trans; he would make his own, and he did. Oh to be able to do something like that! It illustrates what I believe and clearly he does, that it takes a single mind; a visionary who knows what he wants to accomplish to oversee projects like this. Design by committee is a lousy way to create products. Even if a group of people is working on it, doing the various things that each department is set up to do, it still takes a single mind to oversee what happens and why. Sergio was that visionary behind the Giulia, and the results show it. There's a unity; a consistency of form and function about it that makes it stand out. It's one of the things that attracted me to the car besides the test drive. The interior matches the feel of the exterior.

As for power, the video illustrates something else I've long known and pursued when modding my cars; weight reduction. As he said, it affects everything about the car's performance. For those looking for more power, try reducing unsprung weight; especially rotating weight, and the car with the power you already have will perform better. By upgrading to lighter wheels and brake rotors, I was able to remove almost 42 pounds of unsprung rotating weight. The rotors especially made more of a difference than I expected. The car feels lighter on its feet now. It rolls easier, quicker with less throttle input. Even in N mode, from a stop when I need to make a sudden move such as making a quick left turn when there's a gap in oncoming traffic, there's about a half second lag then boom the car goes. When I first got it without any of the mods I've made (V2 intake, EC P2 tune, Remus exhaust and weight reduction), I almost got hit when trying to do that same maneuver. When I pressed on the gas pedal, the car rolled forward a few feet and there was about a 2 second lag before it began to go under power. I didn't make that mistake again, and made sure there was plenty of room to get going after that. Now I don't worry about it; the car goes almost instantly. I do all this in N mode which has the normal P1 tune (not the dual map which has P1 D mode as N). In D mode it's another story. I just came back from a trip last week to Carson City, and there was a stretch of road where I got bogged down behind two semi's grinding along at 45-50. When a section opened up where I could pass, I put it in D mode and floored it. Half second lag then BOOM the car launched like a rocket. I went from 50-90 in just a few seconds and was easily able to pass both trucks with plenty of room to spare. The beauty of the non-QV is in the mid-range where I think they intended it to be. It's not an off-the-line car, nor is it a top end car.

Now that's the thing; this car isn't the QV, it was never meant to be. It isn't a muscle car; it's a beautiful 4 door sports sedan that has the heritage, soul and spirit of the racing history of a legendary marque. In my mind, it delivers that to a T. I love this car. For the mods I've put into it, it's just about perfect now. Wheels were about $800, intake and tune were about $1,600, exhaust was about $700, rotors were about $1,200, so for about $4,300 the car is simply beautiful in most every way. Not perfect; there are things that could be improved but I'm quite happy with it just as it is. It's my daily driver and performs like a champ in all seasons, all weather. Not something you'd be looking for in a 1/4 mile car, track car.

I think for the money some of you would have to put into the car to get it up to where you want it, what you really want is a QV which is the car they designed and intended for the customer like you. You can get new 2018's from dealers right now for as low as $55k from what I'm seeing, and it will have more than you could ever do to any regular Giulia which would probably cost you more than that to mod.

·
Registered
5,612 Posts
You have obviously never modded a car. I've never been one to buy a car and leave it the way it is. There are millions of car enthusiasts around the world that do exactly what you say is bad.

Speak for yourself. I have modified cars including my Q4. I stick to modifications that will not cause a gross increase in smog (e.g. no removing the cat or replacing the cat with something ineffective). There are children all over the world with Asthma that can be traced to the high smog levels associated with your precious over-modified vehicles. Asthma (a symptom of lung damage) does not go away with age, either the person dies or learns to live with it.

·
Registered
291 Posts
Speak for yourself. I have modified cars including my Q4. I stick to modifications that will not cause a gross increase in smog (e.g. no removing the cat or replacing the cat with something ineffective). There are children all over the world with Asthma that can be traced to the high smog levels associated with your precious over-modified vehicles. Asthma (a symptom of lung damage) does not go away with age, either the person dies or learns to live with it.
Why drive a car at all then? Better get a bike.

·
Registered
3,541 Posts
This is the main reason I spent "up" on the Quad. Glad you like the video. I missed the part where he mentions the IHI turbos. The Kappa-KKs were not great. This must have been back on the 288 GTO/Evoluzione on the development path to the F40. I love when he tears up after telling how the Commendatore complimented him so well. A rare treat! :D

·
Registered
250 Posts
Sorry if that came off harsh but that's the way it's perceived, and because I've heard it all over the years. You can't talk to me as if I don't understand the very nature of the work I'm requesting of you. Reason being not to long ago I helped develop MQB VW/Audi platform the last 3 years and 2 different big turbo specs for it which is also e-wastegate controlled with same BPV as this turbo. I under the very nature on modern DI 4cyl turbos; the logic, torque tables, limits, targets, and the amount of sensors in the modern ECM for Bosch ME, Conti Simos, and the MM10 doesn't seem too different from functionality. I reached out to you guys to help push the platform, since you were already in it why recreate the wheel and you chose to do it 'in-house' at your leisure which to me is very slow process for improvement. You statement makes e-tuning/road tuning not as good as dyno? Which all 3 need to be done and I have access to 2 dynos locally at my cost. When you get someone(me) who reaches out to you respectfully to try to get work done quicker you don't scoff or shove them aside like it's not an important inquiry for a developing platform that in your best interest you should take up.

Also I merely asked about your timing at MBT due to wanting a base backend that I was interested in buying, for the cost who wants a tune that is all boost and no timing, IMHO that would be a trash tune. So if I'm going to spend $1,200 on a MyGenius handheld/tune I want to at the bare minimum choose my timing preferences for MY car, I don't want what everyone else has. I then asked could you do another 2-3 degrees at MBT because of the fuel I run and being at sea level. I did not care for your tuning logic or routine secrets as much that you were very worried about giving up to me. I was trying to establish a relationship that I thought could aide me for my goals. You are unwilling because of worry of IP theft which at the end of the day you can't control without going into too much detail on.

I just asked you for a tune. The cooling and the turbo is all on me, I have those covered already.
My reply to you was very respectful. I did not "scoff" or "shove you aside" in any way shape or form (seems to be the other way around). Just from two posts you have made in regards to our company, you have put an enormous amount of words in my mouth (just about all of it was neither said nor implied by me). I told you 5 degrees more of timing may be dangerous for this system, you simply ignored my advice in your response and came to the internet. Sounds very respectful.

It's very simple. If there's a problem, it's much easier to have the car in front of me to sort out (and there will be problems with a project of this nature). I prefer not to have customers running around as guinea pigs. We have a great deal of knowledge in regards to this engine and ECU (and no, it's not like a Bosch ME or SIMOS, not even close) and I'm sorry you don't like my answers to your questions.

Good luck with your project.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
This is the main reason I spent "up" on the Quad. Glad you like the video. I missed the part where he mentions the IHI turbos. The Kappa-KKs were not great. This must have been back on the 288 GTO/Evoluzione on the development path to the F40. I love when he tears up after telling how the Commendatore complimented him so well. A rare treat! /forum/images/smilies/biggrin.gif
Goal is to pull a QV for $10k or less in parts. Safely.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts
And you'll only be missing the bigger brakes to better match the power, torque vectoring diff, bigger trans, active aero, the many aesthetic differences, race mode (ESC/TC defeat), wider wheels/rubber, etc. And even if you manage to pull a QV, the QV with a $800 piggyback will pull you right back.

I know the "just buy a QV" rhetoric annoys some people, but the price gaps aren't that huge, unless you are buying a stripped 2.0. And it might explain part of the reason for the lack of this type of aftermarket.

·
Registered
5,612 Posts
Why drive a car at all then? Better get a bike.
I drive my Giulia on my long distance once a week commute. A bicycle is not practical for long distance travel.

I road my bicycle to work Tuesday, Wednesday and Thursday this week. It is an efficient, healthy and clean way to get to work, plus unlike a car I can afford a full on race machine. I find no joy in driving in traffic and do not see any justification for racing from stop light to stop light.

Of course if you are building a dedicated track car from a Giulia, more power to you. It is an appropriate way to show off that you know how to maximize the performance of a car and drive it. OTOH, I think some tracks today will not let you run cat-less even on the track.

·
Registered
36 Posts
Discussion Starter #37
And you'll only be missing the bigger brakes to better match the power, torque vectoring diff, bigger trans, active aero, the many aesthetic differences, race mode (ESC/TC defeat), wider wheels/rubber, etc. And even if you manage to pull a QV, the QV with a $800 piggyback will pull you right back.

I know the "just buy a QV" rhetoric annoys some people, but the price gaps aren't that huge, unless you are buying a stripped 2.0. And it might explain part of the reason for the lack of this type of aftermarket.
That's your kind of thinking. As long as I can trap 120+mph I'll be happy and content. You're forgetting the compounding cost of ownership; insurance, maintenance, mpg, weight, QV parts/tuning tax, and at the end of the day it's just a QV nothing out of the ordinary, just expected to be fast. If a Q2/Q4 pulls a QV regardless if stock that is something special.

Power- bigger turbo
Torque vectoring- love my old school Ti Sport mechanical LSD. So mechanical>electric control LSD.
Brakes- being that there is less weight on the front axle the 4 pots are just fine with rotors, pads and fluid change. Smaller allows to run 18" wheels all around and 17" in back if wanted for drag wheels.
Wheels- individualized with lighter Forged ones of your choice.
Tires- again your choice.
Aero- rather have static than active. Lighter and less costly to repair. Can individualize for purpose if racing.. or style.
Transmission- zf8hp50 is well enough for 700whp/600wtq heavier 6cyl turbo BMWs
ESC/TC- can be coded to be off or less invasive see EuroCompulsion.

IMHO I think the 2.0T Ti Sport is the best model and greater potential for modification/tuning. The chassis overall is a highway cruiser and canyon carver. The balance of the 2.0T in this chassis you can feel in the front.

I see an ongoing theme with purists/elitists/whoever saying just get the QV and do nothing to it. That is boring and the very reason I skipped on the last 2 M3 cars, I was faster and different with the last 2 335i models I owned.

We have differing opinions and tastes. Don't stifle others if it doesn't jive with your own.

·
Registered
2,075 Posts

That's your kind of thinking. As long as I can trap 120+mph I'll be happy and content. You're forgetting the compounding cost of ownership; insurance, maintenance, mpg, weight, QV parts/tuning tax, and at the end of the day it's just a QV nothing out of the ordinary, just expected to be fast. If a Q2/Q4 pulls a QV regardless if stock that is something special.

Power- bigger turbo
Torque vectoring- love my old school Ti Sport mechanical LSD. So mechanical>electric control LSD.
Brakes- being that there is less weight on the front axle the 4 pots are just fine with rotors, pads and fluid change. Smaller allows to run 18" wheels all around and 17" in back if wanted for drag wheels.
Aero- rather have static than active. Lighter and less costly to repair. Can individualize for purpose if racing.. or style.

IMHO I think the 2.0T Ti Sport is the best model and greater potential for modification/tuning. The chassis overall is a highway cruiser and canyon carver. The balance of the 2.0T in this chassis you can feel in the front.

I see an ongoing theme with purists/elitists/whoever saying just get the QV and do nothing to it. That is boring and the very reason I skipped on the last 2 M3 cars, I was faster and different with the last 2 335i models I owned.

We have differing opinions and tastes. Don't stifle others if it doesn't jive with your own.
I get much of what you're saying, but don't mistake my comments for "purist" or "elitist". I too had a tuned e90 335 that was faster (in a straight line) than the same gen m3's were doing. But the e90 335 had a lot of tuning advantages over the NA v8 the cars had...and we could be faster than the M cars for ~1k

Not the case with the Giulia. To me, seems like a lot of time and money. But it's your project. Best of luck.

PS I hope since you are so concerned with weight that you skipped the sunroof. That alone puts you quite close to QV curb weight.

·
Registered
875 Posts
Umm talking about weight, there was a thread where few of us went for a truck scales for approx weights, q4 without sunroof was still heavier than my rwd with sunroof with full tank of gas sitting at 3590lbs another guy weighted his q4 with sunroof, ended with 97lbs more with sunroof against the q4 without

·
Registered
1,420 Posts

Power- bigger turbo

It would be a huge victory if you can trap that 2.0 at 120mph. **** even 110-114mph would be major improvements. Not saying it’s impossible but I don’t think it can be done without spending considerable money. Like many have said you will def need bigger turbos, brakes and tires on the car if you can get that speed. Lessen some weight also. The AWD is huge benefit.

I don’t like comparing a qv to a 2.0 or any cars that are modded vs stock but I found a little 1/8 mile track the other day while in Virginia. Ran my qv at 7.6 @97 mph. That’s the same trap speed as a 2.0 on a 1/4. Bad track prep it rained an hour before. 60’ was 1.9. So If you can get the pull on a qv you and it last more than 100’ then you really accomplished something in the 2.0. Again don’t like comparing two drastically different cars.

21 - 40 of 67 Posts