Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

361 - 375 of 375 Posts

·
Registered
369 Posts
If people really want more power you just need to pick up a used turbo on Ebay for $650 or whatever and contact a turbo shop to build you a hybrid. Start there.

·
Super Moderator
2,430 Posts
If people really want more power you just need to pick up a used turbo on Ebay for $650 or whatever and contact a turbo shop to build you a hybrid. Start there.
But is the air flow, fresh and exhaust, there to support a bigger turbo?

·
Registered
369 Posts
But is the air flow, fresh and exhaust, there to support a bigger turbo?
Thats the easy part. You can shove a cone on the end of the maf. You can do anything you want with the exhaust.

Id be great if we dont necessarily need to. My audi runs 550hp up from stock 330hp and runs 11.0 at 123mph with stock exhaust and a hole cut in my intake box. Stock fueling too.

Just got to log to find out though. More likely may need to address intake air temps but those that did log them showed them as outstanding on tuned stock turbo so thats hopeful but nothing that cant be addrressed. Gotta start with the power adder though.

·
Super Moderator
2,430 Posts
Yeah, all of the bolt-on devices are great and all, but what about the intake/exhaust manifold cfm capacity? How about the cylinder head passages? All the bolt-ons in the world won't fix those.

·
Registered
10/2017 Giulia Ti Q2
185 Posts
Hows a bigger turbo the power adder you start with? We dont even know if the stock turbo is maxed out or not. On top of that, who can tune a bigger turbo? I dunno of anyone, do you?

I think first things to try are different fuels, like race gas and ethanol and methanol and see where that takes us. Perhaps it maxes out turbo, perhaps not. Perhaps it maxes out fueling, perhaps not.

I recognize your name from mk7 forums i think.

No one is willing to tune and push this car to its limits with oem components so bigger turbo is kind of jumping the gun in my books. I bet the car is capable of 350-400whp on a race gas or ethanol tune only, but again, we can’t know cuz no one cares to try it.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Ive never had to put a new IM on a car for another 150hp or so.

The car doesnt pull any timing right now on 93 octane for me so id need a race gas tune to run either racegas or e30-40 to take advantage of it.

Id simply use map 6 on jb4 to create a boost curve that matches the hybrid turbo.

Its been done on the b9 s4. Theyre getting like 650hp out of them running 10s with a hybrid turbo swap and jb4. Nothing else but a heat exchanger.

·
Super Moderator
2,430 Posts
Ive never had to put a new IM on a car for another 150hp or so.

The car doesnt pull any timing right now on 93 octane for me so id need a race gas tune to run either racegas or e30-40 to take advantage of it.

Id simply use map 6 on jb4 to create a boost curve that matches the hybrid turbo.

Its been done on the b9 s4. Theyre getting like 650hp out of them running 10s with a hybrid turbo swap and jb4. Nothing else but a heat exchanger.
Not the same engine, at all. Apples to oranges imo.

I want numbers and proof that the core components I mentioned are capable prior to anything like a turbo upgrade.

·
Registered
277 Posts
Wait 2-3 weeks and I will let you know about hybrid turbo... Still waiting for free slot at tuner.

As far i know there is few limiters which cutting ignition, that's why there is no power in high rpm.

Wysłane z mojego SM-G973F przy użyciu Tapatalka

·
Registered
10/2017 Giulia Ti Q2
185 Posts
@bhvrdr so whats stopping you from buying a hybrid and using jb4 to tune it? Seems simple enough the way you present it, get a turbo, hook it up to car and jb4 and you're golden. Why not do it?

I personally would prefer an ECU remap for e40-50 on my stock components. Prefer reliability and smoothness over potential for headaches/constant tinkering.

·
Registered
369 Posts
Not the same engine, at all. Apples to oranges imo.

I want numbers and proof that the core components I mentioned are capable prior to anything like a turbo upgrade.
True but i cant tell you how many 2.0t engines ive modded in addition to my v8 and v6 projects. Probably a dozen from 2005.5 when audi started this show with the 2.0tfsi to the first to do the mb c250.

Were talking about going slow with a hybrid turbo. You can literally start at stock boost levels and go up.

·
Registered
369 Posts
@bhvrdr so whats stopping you from buying a hybrid and using jb4 to tune it? Seems simple enough the way you present it, get a turbo, hook it up to car and jb4 and you're golden. Why not do it?

I personally would prefer an ECU remap for e40-50 on my stock components. Prefer reliability and smoothness over potential for headaches/constant tinkering.
Ive got project cars. Tvs1900 Suoercharged camaro ss, supercharged audi s5, turbo audi s5, and still trying to figure out what to do for a track car build now. Was boxster, then two miatas, thinking about 370z now. Im trying to still see the giulia as my puts around daily driver. Its a really fun 4 door miata. Also Truth be told i think big turbo 4 cylinder cars kind of suck quite frankly. Ive had a lot of fun building them in the past but i dont like that peaky uneven powerband anymore. Im worried ill just turn this car into something i dont want it to be.

·
Registered
10/2017 Giulia Ti Q2
185 Posts
Also Truth be told i think big turbo 4 cylinder cars kind of suck quite frankly. Ive had a lot of fun building them in the past but i dont like that peaky uneven powerband anymore. Im worried ill just turn this car into something i dont want it to be.
You said it and i couldnt agree more, especially for a daily driver.

I am still waiting on my OBD cables for MES to do some logging for baseline before flashing Celtic Tuning tune. Will try asking them for an additional custom map with advanced timing for e30ish or something. At least thats the plan. Are you running someones tune yet @bhvrdr?

·
Registered
415 Posts

I am still waiting on my OBD cables for MES to do some logging for baseline before flashing Celtic Tuning tune. Will try asking them for an additional custom map with advanced timing for e30ish or something. At least thats the plan. Are you running someones tune yet @bhvrdr?

Everything you need to log is basically available with a cheap Bluetooth Obd2 adapter and an app

·
Registered
10/2017 Giulia Ti Q2
185 Posts
Everything you need to log is basically available with a cheap Bluetooth Obd2 adapter and an app
Be that as it may, i still need MES to reset oil service light at the very least. Which is why i bought the cables from UK for it.

·
Registered
369 Posts

I definitely see why youre going that route.

No im racking my head on tunes. If i do decide to throw away the powertrain warranty on a flash tune id like it to be worthwhile and @eurocompulsion has the feature of sport traction control that i really like...in theory anyways...havent tried it.

I suppose i could do the race mode mod but then you need a pedal controller because you're stuck in n mode throttle and then id need a reprogrammed suspension control module because race mode mod fucks up the settings on active suspension cars. A bit of a pita bit not undoable.

Then i want a tuner whose wiliing to give me a 104 octane or e30 map and who knows who will really come through on that.

Hate to flash away that warranty for nothing.

It is a relatively cheap and simple powertrain though so i can see changing my mind lol.

Ive had the car 4 months and i can see saying fuck it at the 6 month mark and messing with stuff.

Be that as it may, i still need MES to reset oil service light at the very least. Which is why i bought the cables from UK for it.
Ive never found a bluetooth app that can give a good enough sample rate anyways. Much better off with mes or like a jb4 that pulls directly from can/ecu

361 - 375 of 375 Posts