Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

321 - 340 of 375 Posts

·
Registered
415 Posts
@Alpha I saw the lean 0.96-1.05 lambdas more than once I thought, enough times to make me remember and think about it. May be incorrect lambda parameter.. we are still learning whats what kind of. I find it hard to believe it actually ran 14:1.
It's just a generic Obd2 parameter... Not sure how they would mess that up in MES

·
Registered
379 Posts
Be nice if other folks with mes could post their lambdas to see if its a bad logging channel or a bad actual issue

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
Be nice if other folks with mes could post their lambdas to see if its a bad logging channel or a bad actual issue
Are you guys going off the logs I posted?. I would not take the ones I posted with connecting to QV module. But yes if others could post their MES logs if would be good.

·
Banned
10/2017 Giulia Ti Q2
172 Posts
Yes i will post as soon as i get the cables and obd connectors. I plan on logging for a while before i flash a tune so that i have a solid baseline to compare the tune to. Also want to see how car behaves in extreme hot climate, Arizona summer.

·
Registered
64 Posts
Just looking at Celtics dyno report. The interesting thing is they have pushed the max output to 6000rpm vs stock at 5350, where it then drops off a cliff. Is that just extra boost all the way up to 6000 rpm or are they gaining the power some other way?

Also, from experience, when driving hard I wouldn't say the car in stock form feels like the power and torque is falling off a cliff like that at 5350rpm. Mine pulls hard all the way to the limiter.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Maybe to make their tune more marketable they let off the gas a little sooner on the stock run on the dyno to make the gains of their tune slightly inflated? I personally feel the car starts to run out of steam near readline but not as hard as that dino would suggest?

·
Registered
64 Posts
Yeah to be fair its usually 2nd gear where I feel it most. But 3rd and 4th definitely the engine wants to keep going.

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
The stock run they have let off as the peak hp is already achieved to confirm factory claims. The remap pushes the peak further up the rpm so they kept going to limiter I am guessing to see what it can do. Tbh if you see the other maps in Europe they make similar gains, so I see no need to inflate any claims whatsoever.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I persoanlly just never trust dynos from anyone. If they were a proper tool to compare things then I would imagine OEM's would follow a standardized test (i.e controlled environment) and use them for marketing.

Don't get me wrong they have a place and are great for using as percentage gain measurements if done correctly, however I think they are too easy to manipulate (even by accident)

However all that said i am sure they still made worthwhile improvements. Managing to move the power up like that dyno shows seems like that tune is 100% worthwhile and would greatly improve the driving experience in my opinion

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
@Go_a_way1 , I agree dyno are subjective. I have dyno tested my car 3 years ago and really struggled find somewhere to check how much my car was making as stock in the 200hp guise in Europe, as it was claimed it makes 220+hp from the factory. I finally found an experienced dyno place where it tested at 223hp. I only ever use dyno as comparison. Most recently my data logging with MES earlier in this thread validated to me the Celtic map is actually delivering all that it promises. In my case it was a massive jump from 223hp to nearly 330hp. The 1/4 mile tests I did showed a trap speed increase from 96mph to 106mph which also confirmed the increase in power was valid. Personally, I trust Celtic as they tune cars of all shapes and sizes day in day out, from basic diesels to supercars so they know a thing or two about gaining power safely and smoothly. I am in no way connected to celtic. I just am a happy customer. For me they ticked all the boxes for what I use the car for.

·
Registered
88 Posts
Yeah for your model its a huge increase since its the same engine anyways so its so worth tuning haha.

I have a question if anyone know since we are on the topic:
What is the next limiting factor after the turbo for making power? If I was to guess it would be the transmission not being able to handle all the extra power?

·
Registered
88 Posts
Oh so that's fairly easy to exceed on the stock turbo then if my math is right? The question is how long will it last over its rated spec?

·
Registered
1,050 Posts
I don't think the ZF transmission is the weak point. If you want max power then you could start with a high flow cat and free flow exhaust. I am certain though you would lose some of the low end torque for normal driving despite what people say. Exhaust flow/volume and torque have an intricate link and to improve the factory design will need some thinking and testing.

·
Registered
88 Posts
I don't think the ZF transmission is the weak point. If you want max power then you could start with a high flow cat and free flow exhaust. I am certain though you would lose some of the low end torque for normal driving despite what people say. Exhaust flow/volume and torque have an intricate link and to improve the factory design will need some thinking and testing.
From watching the boost build in this car during normal driving it amazed me how often it went into boost even if only a little so I think removing all exhaust restrictions might not be as big of a negative effect in this car then in most due to how quick the twin scroll can spool. It's fun for me to speculate but I will never be able to test this because I don't want a super loud car haha

·
Banned
10/2017 Giulia Ti Q2
172 Posts
So Eurocharged also has a handheld and a tune combo for 999$, anyone tried them on any platform including the Giulia? I emailed asking some questions but got a basic response about +40/50 power increase.

They also mentioned raising the rpm and transmission maps. I wasnt aware transmission tuning is possible yet. 🤷🏻‍♂️

321 - 340 of 375 Posts