Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
41 - 60 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
Ok......semi-success on one side.
Got the shock out of there with some brute force.
The bushing one the lower shock mount needed a large breaker bar to force it out.
Now I’m just waiting for the new top mounts from Jason and I’ll finish it up this weekend.
I need to adjust the ride height once everything is back together and then I’ll get an alignment on Monday.
I’ll post driving impressions when I can.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
430 Posts
@RossoQV16

The lower bushing in the control arm slides when the lower strut bolt is tightened(The orange arrow in the picture). It is a lot like a sliding bushing on an alternator. The bushing has to be slid back towards the outside of the control arm so the interior mounting surface of the lower shock is flush with the control arm. That way the new shock can be slid in. Usually I just pry the old shock out from underneath with a pry bar. I use a long bolt /w nut and a wide socket that will go around the bushing. Using the nut and bolt, pulling the bushing flush, then shock can be inserted with ease.

Note: the control arm is upside down in an image stolen from ebay. The arrow points to the slider bushing.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
@RossoQV16

The lower bushing in the control arm slides when the lower strut bolt is tightened(The orange arrow in the picture). It is a lot like a sliding bushing on an alternator. The bushing has to be slid back towards the outside of the control arm so the interior mounting surface of the lower shock is flush with the control arm. That way the new shock can be slid in. Usually I just pry the old shock out from underneath with a pry bar. I use a long bolt /w nut and a wide socket that will go around the bushing. Using the nut and bolt, pulling the bushing flush, then shock can be inserted with ease.

Note: the control arm is upside down in an image stolen from ebay. The arrow points to the slider bushing.

View attachment 106560
Thanks for that.
Very helpful.
What do you suggest for my next issue;
Wire from the car that plugs into the shock is so short that I can’t get it plugged in?

·
Registered
430 Posts
Thanks for that.
Very helpful.
What do you suggest for my next issue;
Wire from the car that plugs into the shock is so short that I can’t get it plugged in?

If you pull out the seat side bolsters, the wire can be accessed from the top. The seat bolsters just pull straight out from the bottom, no bolts.

·
Registered
870 Posts
Beta, are the seat bolsters on the sport seats interchangeable from driver to passenger seats? I have to sorta sit on the driver's left seat side when entering and exiting my QV, and the outer bolster is a bit flattened. I would swap it for the passenger's left side if you happen to know if it fits and 'wont throw a code." NV

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
If you pull out the seat side bolsters, the wire can be accessed from the top. The seat bolsters just pull straight out from the bottom, no bolts.
Thank you.
That helped.
Finally got everything together and now I have a service dampers warning on the dash.
Drove the car and they clearly aren’t functional.
Any suggestions Beta?

·
Registered
430 Posts
Thank you.
That helped.
Finally got everything together and now I have a service dampers warning on the dash.
Drove the car and they clearly aren’t functional.
Any suggestions Beta?

Do you have MES? We may need to pull a code from the system(CDCM) to see what the problem is. If not, you could disconnect the battery and reconnect and reset steering to see if it works afterwards. Maybe you need the latest CDCM firmware or recalibrate the accelerometers? I would contact KW and see if they have a quick fix as I'm sure this happens all the time.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
Do you have MES? We may need to pull a code from the system(CDCM) to see what the problem is. If not, you could disconnect the battery and reconnect and reset steering to see if it works afterwards. Maybe you need the latest CDCM firmware or recalibrate the accelerometers? I would contact KW and see if they have a quick fix as I'm sure this happens all the time.
I don't have a MES, just an OBDII reader.
Would that suffice to read the correct code?
I have tried the disconnect the battery method to no avail.
The car has to go to the dealer on Wednesday for something else, I'm hoping they can diagnose and fix if I can't figure this out.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #52 ·
Damn I just committed the cardinal sin.
Closed the trunk with the battery disconnected.
I know there is a way to open it.
If I wasn’t knee deep in this install I’d search......hopefully someone can help me out quickly.

·
Registered
393 Posts
If I wasn’t knee deep in this install I’d search......hopefully someone can help me out quickly.

You’d prob have to go thru the middle of the rear seats some how. I have installed kw v3’s on my base giulia. I had to use two jacks. One to jack up the car and one to raise or lower the control arms to get all bolts lined up. One tip I can give you is make sure the parking brake is not on. I struggled for hours when I started the rear only to hit the button and get it back together in minutes are struggling for hours. Lol

·
Registered
2,532 Posts

Pop hood and connect charger or jumper cables to post and ground under hood. Then pop the trunk with the fob.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #55 ·
You’d prob have to go thru the middle of the rear seats some how. I have installed kw v3’s on my base giulia. I had to use two jacks. One to jack up the car and one to raise or lower the control arms to get all bolts lined up. One tip I can give you is make sure the parking brake is not on. I struggled for hours when I started the rear only to hit the button and get it back together in minutes are struggling for hours. Lol

Thank you.
The fix was hooking up a charger to the front charging posts......opened right up when I did that.

That was a challenging install.
I did it by myself so that created some struggles.
Front's were fairly easy except for the multiple times installing and deinstalling.
Once I got everything together she was sitting way too low so I had to pull the front apart to get some height there.
Although it did get easier every time I did it because I know the tricks now.
Rears were a total PITA.
Funny enough the springs were not the tough part.
On those I used the spring compressor and got enough compression to pull out the old springs.
I did the same with the new ones, I placed the helper springs in with the mounting guides, compressed the main spring and wrested it in.
The shocks were difficult because the bottom mount is tight so I had to pull it out with a breaker bar.
Before you install the shocks you have to make sure to push a bushing back into the mount.
The worst was the wire from the car loom is very short making it tough to connect to.
I did figure out that if you pull the rear seat bolsters it makes it much easier because you can reach the wires from inside.

Not sure how they work yet as I am still getting a "Service dampeners" message.
I have checked and rechecked all of the connections and can't find anything loose or broken.
I do have an OBD II reader and the only code is P1DB1.
Looks like a trip to the dealer this week.
And my dealer is not mod friendly anymore.
Going to be interesting.

·
Registered
393 Posts
Thank you.
The fix was hooking up a charger to the front charging posts......opened right up when I did that.

That was a challenging install.
I did it by myself so that created some struggles.
Front's were fairly easy except for the multiple times installing and deinstalling.
Once I got everything together she was sitting way too low so I had to pull the front apart to get some height there.
Although it did get easier every time I did it because I know the tricks now.
Rears were a total PITA.
Funny enough the springs were not the tough part.
On those I used the spring compressor and got enough compression to pull out the old springs.
I did the same with the new ones, I placed the helper springs in with the mounting guides, compressed the main spring and wrested it in.
The shocks were difficult because the bottom mount is tight so I had to pull it out with a breaker bar.
Before you install the shocks you have to make sure to push a bushing back into the mount.
The worst was the wire from the car loom is very short making it tough to connect to.
I did figure out that if you pull the rear seat bolsters it makes it much easier because you can reach the wires from inside.

Not sure how they work yet as I am still getting a "Service dampeners" message.
I have checked and rechecked all of the connections and can't find anything loose or broken.
I do have an OBD II reader and the only code is P1DB1.
Looks like a trip to the dealer this week.
And my dealer is not mod friendly anymore.
Going to be interesting.
One think I don’t like about the kw’s is that they tel you in the instructions if you wish to raise or lower you have to take them off the car completely. Which makes no sense they they include spanner wrenches.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #57 ·
One think I don’t like about the kw’s is that they tel you in the instructions if you wish to raise or lower you have to take them off the car completely. Which makes no sense they they include spanner wrenches.

It is a complete pain for sure.
I definitely tried to do it on the car and it just didn’t work.
I also tried to fit the spring compressor while everything was on the car and it works but I couldn’t get the spring compressor off so I ended up taking the coil over out.

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
It is a complete pain for sure.
I definitely tried to do it on the car and it just didn’t work.
I also tried to fit the spring compressor while everything was on the car and it works but I couldn’t get the spring compressor off so I ended up taking the coil over out.

Did you manage to set it all up yet?

·
Registered
1,922 Posts
Hope it works for you. Looking forward to before and after drop pictures as well as your view on driving/comfort/handling i.e. is it worth the 3k dropped on it?

41 - 60 of 83 Posts