576 Posts
Sure.

Specifically about the KW DDC:

Giulia Track / Suspension in general:

Damper adjustment via headlight levelling sensors:

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
@stocki very interesting reading especially as I was considering getting ST lowering springs not wishing to tinker with the Adaptive suspension. So if KW coil overs are installed does it mean the DNA selector can no longer adjust the damper harness from soft-mid-hard by twisting the DNAR dial? I thought the KW coilovers are plug and play and work exactly as the stock dampers except that with the shorter springs, the replacement dampers work better as the damping curves are more matched. Lot of people on here seem to be happy with the ST springs but the German form member YY2 who has posted some very useful and detailed info seems to suggest the ST springs alone will make the car bumpy as the stock dampers are no longer working optimally? I really wish to lower the car a little as I am unhappy with the wheel arch gap and also the slight wobbly feeling when taking fast corners. Am I going to end up with a prematurely failed damper by installing just lowering springs? I don't want to go Eibach or H&R springs as they lower too much for my taste. Did you ever find out if adjusting the length of the rear level sensor link makes any difference as challenged by the last post on the 3rd link you posted?

·
Registered
576 Posts
@stocki very interesting reading especially as I was considering getting ST lowering springs not wishing to tinker with the Adaptive suspension. So if KW coil overs are installed does it mean the DNA selector can no longer adjust the damper harness from soft-mid-hard by twisting the DNAR dial? I thought the KW coilovers are plug and play and work exactly as the stock dampers except that with the shorter springs, the replacement dampers work better as the damping curves are more matched. Lot of people on here seem to be happy with the ST springs but the German form member YY2 who has posted some very useful and detailed info seems to suggest the ST springs alone will make the car bumpy as the stock dampers are no longer working optimally? I really wish to lower the car a little as I am unhappy with the wheel arch gap and also the slight wobbly feeling when taking fast corners.
The KW DDC are "plug and play" and you keep all the stock functionality (DNA mode, soft-Button, ...).

I wish they were available for the "lesser" models.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
The KW DDC are "plug and play" and you keep all the stock functionality (DNA mode, soft-Button, ...).

I wish they were available for the "lesser" models.
Great. If so why did that person YY2 adjust the rear level sensor rod? The damper should be matched to the springs by KW already right?

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
@stocki very interesting reading especially as I was considering getting ST lowering springs not wishing to tinker with the Adaptive suspension. So if KW coil overs are installed does it mean the DNA selector can no longer adjust the damper harness from soft-mid-hard by twisting the DNAR dial? I thought the KW coilovers are plug and play and work exactly as the stock dampers except that with the shorter springs, the replacement dampers work better as the damping curves are more matched. Lot of people on here seem to be happy with the ST springs but the German form member YY2 who has posted some very useful and detailed info seems to suggest the ST springs alone will make the car bumpy as the stock dampers are no longer working optimally? I really wish to lower the car a little as I am unhappy with the wheel arch gap and also the slight wobbly feeling when taking fast corners. Am I going to end up with a prematurely failed damper by installing just lowering springs? I don't want to go Eibach or H&R springs as they lower too much for my taste. Did you ever find out if adjusting the length of the rear level sensor link makes any difference as challenged by the last post on the 3rd link you posted?

That is exactly why I got these.
I wanted to lower the car and at the same time improve the handling and ride.
These should do that from what my research has told me.
They are completely plug and play also.
So the guy on the forum may have gotten the KW V3 which aren't hooked to the DNA settings.
I'm excited to get these things on the car to see how it transforms an already great car.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
That is exactly why I got these.
I wanted to lower the car and at the same time improve the handling and ride.
These should do that from what my research has told me.
They are completely plug and play also.
So the guy on the forum may have gotten the KW V3 which aren't hooked to the DNA settings.
I'm excited to get these things on the car to see how it transforms an already great car.
Please take pictures of install and post updates once you are done. I am keen to learn from your experience. What ride height are you going to set and are you planning or doing "corner weight balance" set up along with alignment?

Final Q - Does this come with an app control as well, the Alfa9 website suggests so but I don't see the point if it works with DNA modes.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
Please take pictures of install and post updates once you are done. I am keen to learn from your experience. What ride height are you going to set and are you planning or doing "corner weight balance" set up along with alignment?

Final Q - Does this come with an app control as well, the Alfa9 website suggests so but I don't see the point if it works with DNA modes.

I'll try to get some pictures.
I will update on my thoughts on the install and how they feel.
Definitely getting it aligned by a race shop when I'm done, not sure about the corner balancing though.
I haven't seen anything on an app for these, not sure what that would do that's different than the DNA switch.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I'll try to get some pictures.
I will update on my thoughts on the install and how they feel.
Definitely getting it aligned by a race shop when I'm done, not sure about the corner balancing though.
I haven't seen anything on an app for these, not sure what that would do that's different than the DNA switch.
There are KW DDC versions with an external ecu / control unit for cars that don't have adjustable suspension to begin with.

The version for the Giulia is "plug and play" and uses the factory CDCM - so there's no additional apps or control units.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #32
There are KW DDC versions with an external ecu / control unit for cars that don't have adjustable suspension to begin with.

The version for the Giulia is "plug and play" and uses the factory CDCM - so there's no additional apps or control units.
Ah mystery solved!!
Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
1,733 Posts
@RossoQV16 here are some pictures from the manual that may help visualise.

REAR:

FRONT:

·
Registered
411 Posts
Slightly offtopic RE the alignment.

AFAIK you cant dial in a bunch of negative camber on these cars without getting some custom shims fabbed up. You want around -2.5 front camber for optimal handling if you're tracking the car on sticky tires. I believe just lowering the car will roughly take the camber from -0.5 to -1. Some other manufacturers sell OEM shim kits. If anyone sells it for our cars, please let me know.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
Slightly offtopic RE the alignment.

AFAIK you cant dial in a bunch of negative camber on these cars without getting some custom shims fabbed up. You want around -2.5 front camber for optimal handling if you're tracking the car on sticky tires. I believe just lowering the car will roughly take the camber from -0.5 to -1. Some other manufacturers sell OEM shim kits. If anyone sells it for our cars, please let me know.
There is actually a thread on here that talks about shims to get the camber to an acceptable number. I’m not tracking mine often so -2.0 is probably a little aggressive I’m thinking more like-1.5 would be great for DD.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
So I tried to tackle the KW DDC install today.
As I suspected, looks easy on paper, in reality it’s a little more difficult than I anticipated.
Fronts were fairly straightforward really no issues there.
The rears are another story.
I’m following the instructions posted earlier in this thread and I’m stumped by the lower mount for the shock.
Got the bolt out with no problem and can’t figure out how to get the bushing out so I can remove the shock.
In the shop procedure it looks like it should just drop out.........it doesn’t!!!
Any suggestions from the board?

·
Registered
203 Posts
So I tried to tackle the KW DDC install today.
As I suspected, looks easy on paper, in reality it’s a little more difficult than I anticipated.
Fronts were fairly straightforward really no issues there.
The rears are another story.
I’m following the instructions posted earlier in this thread and I’m stumped by the lower mount for the shock.
Got the bolt out with no problem and can’t figure out how to get the bushing out so I can remove the shock.
In the shop procedure it looks like it should just drop out.........it doesn’t!!!
Any suggestions from the board?

Have you compressed the rear spring as much as possible? The rear rubber mounting bushing will come out with the spring. I used a three foot pry bar to pull down on the lower control arm. But for me it also it was a struggle. For some reason it was much more difficult in my case to remove the rear driver’s side spring. The rear passenger’s side came out w/o much of a struggle.

You can try prying up on the mount where it has nub that fits into the control arm. Just be careful that you don’t damage the rubber mount. Once the nub is out you can slide it out.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Spring isn’t the issue.
It’s the bottom shock mount.
I got the spring in.

·
Registered
203 Posts
Spring isn’t the issue.
It’s the bottom shock mount.
I got the spring in.

Oh sorry. I read that too fast.
Interesting, upon reading the procedure it sounds like the shock should just drop out. However on the reinstallation, they have your drive the bushing back into the control arm for clearance.

·
Registered
51 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
Not a problem.
Yes, that’s exactly how I read it.
Frustrating.
I guess I’ll just get the rear springs in and have someone put the shocks in if I have to.
Didn’t want to have to do that though.

21 - 40 of 65 Posts