Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 83 Posts

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I just purchased a set of the KW DDC coilovers for my QV.
Now being someone who is pretty handy with my car I have made the decision to attempt the install myself.
I've poured over the forum looking at install threads and the KW instructions.
In my mind it doesn't look like a terrible install if you have all of the right tools.
I've spent time looking at my car with the wheels off also and I just am scratching my head as to why a dealer wants to charge me $1500 for an install.
The point of my thread and my question is........what am I missing?
Has anyone done this install themselves?
What are the pain points for me to be aware of?
Am I crazy to attempt this?????
Yes, I am taking it to a professional for an alignment after I finish.

·
Registered
269 Posts
The fly in the ointment for me was the rear springs. I tried the method posted here, using a spring compressor on the rears with all control arms attached. However, the spring compressor just didn’t quite compress the spring enough to get it the spring to slide out (or in). So instead I used a pry bar to pull down on the control arm while pulling in the compressed spring.

Oddly, the passenger side rear was not too difficult, but the driver’s side was a struggle. Getting the driver’s rear spring back on was the most difficult part of the entire job. I purchased the special tool to remove the nut on top of the front shock perch, but honestly, with a little ingenuity you can do without. If you want to borrow mine send me a PM.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Did you just do the springs? or shocks and springs?
I am replacing shocks as this is Coilover set so hopefully I can drop everything enough in the rear so that isn't a problem.
I am also buying new front shock hats for the front so I can just build the front strut and spring setup off the car and just install that way.

·
Registered
269 Posts
I only did springs. But obviously for the front, the shocks have to come out too. From what I recall, removing the rear shocks looked fairly easy. I can pull up the procedure later and share.

The front is cake. Had both sides done in under an hour. That is removing the whole unit, compressing the springs, swapping springs, etc..

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Yes, looks easy to me too......that's why I posted on here.
I've looked at the car and the "how to" on here.
My experience tells me if it looks easy it typically throws a curve at you.

·
Registered
269 Posts
Thanks.
I'll take a look at that.
Yes, they would be aligning it but $1500 seems really high for something I can do myself in a day or so.
Part of that is because they are quoting you shop-time. The correct way to do the rears, I believe, involves removing the lower control arm links and hardware. That procedure Involves around 4 hours of book time—for just the rears. Compressing the rear springs on the rear and sliding them out is a workaround to avoid the extra labor.

·
Registered
231 Posts
The rears are the pain ...compressing the KW adj springs is awkward as they are smaller and stiffer than the oem springs and the have a helper spring. You will be pulling them off and on multiple times to adjust the height as its difficult to do once assembled. Fronts are cake as mentioned above.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 · (Edited)
Part of that is because they are quoting you shop-time. The correct way to do the rears, I believe, involves removing the lower control arm links and hardware. That procedure Involves around 4 hours of book time—for just the rears. Compressing the rear springs on the rear and sliding them out is a workaround to avoid the extra labor.

I'm figuring that when I have the shocks off there should be more space to remove those springs. At least that is what I am hoping.

·
Vendor
3,537 Posts

·
Registered
2,532 Posts
The fly in the ointment for me was the rear springs. I tried the method posted here, using a spring compressor on the rears with all control arms attached. However, the spring compressor just didn’t quite compress the spring enough to get it the spring to slide out (or in). So instead I used a pry bar to pull down on the control arm while pulling in the compressed spring.

Oddly, the passenger side rear was not too difficult, but the driver’s side was a struggle. Getting the driver’s rear spring back on was the most difficult part of the entire job. I purchased the special tool to remove the nut on top of the front shock perch, but honestly, with a little ingenuity you can do without. If you want to borrow mine send me a PM.

"I'm sure the threads on these bolts and clamps are engineered well and there's a reasonable chance I won't die"

·
Registered
429 Posts
Don't do the whole workshop procedure, that's crazy. With the offset spring compressor you can remove and reinstall the spring with no disassembly of any suspension components.

Make sure you are hand tightening the main spring compressor tool bolt though, as an impact driver can damage the internal threads, causing the mechanism to bind(it chips the threads). You can definitely use a power tool to decompress the spring though.

I don't know why the manual has you remove suspension components, but warranty time for both rear springs is .7/hrs.

·
Registered
83 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Don't do the whole workshop procedure, that's crazy. With the offset spring compressor you can remove and reinstall the spring with no disassembly of any suspension components.

Make sure you are hand tightening the main spring compressor tool bolt though, as an impact driver can damage the internal threads, causing the mechanism to bind(it chips the threads). You can definitely use a power tool to decompress the spring though.

I don't know why the manual has you remove suspension components, but warranty time for both rear springs is .7/hrs.

View attachment 106314
Great to know.
Thanks for the information.

1 - 20 of 83 Posts