Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
66 Posts
Hi, has anyone looked at this Kickstarter or have experience in earlier versions?
The link is https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/plxdevices/kiwi4-obd-car-to-smartphone-interface-reimagined

Wondering if it felt useful.
Thanks!
Haven't used one of those, seems like an OK product compare to others out there... but the price point and the features it offers just doesn't sit will with me.

And it just happens that I started a project in the last couple days looking into building something simliar for myself using open source. I already got the hardware and i'm currently in the process of trying to pull back data from the Giulia TI and then write a UI around it. Eventually it'll be accessible from the web and app. My end goal is to track my car via GPS and have diagnostic data.. and who knows where it will go from there >:)

·
Registered
630 Posts
I have a Kiwi 3 that works great. The Kiwi 4 just adds more features that I won't use like self-run data logging mode so you don't have to be connected to a smart phone or other personal electronic device to save data that you can analyze later on a computer. Also, audible alerts seem like a gimmick to me. I doubt the accelerometer in the Kiwi 4 is significantly better than the one in my iPhone X.

What I like most about the Kiwi 3 is the interoperability between Android and iOS devices thanks to BT and WiFi radios and the low power consumption so you can leave it plugged in all the time without worry about it draining your battery. Yes you pay a premium for it compared to generic ELM327 interfaces. But I wanted something that I could loan to friends/ family if need be without complication. It just works in all situations without needing configuration or tweaking. Can't say the same about the $20 interfaces.

What I don't like about it and what bothers me about almost all OBDII devices is the near complete lack of cyber security. If you leave this interface attached to your car all the time and park your car in a publicly accessible location you are opening yourself up to potential threat. It's entirely possible for a nefarious person to send bad commands via OBDII device and have it do undesirable things. On top of that, there is the whole cyber security aspect to the apps you run on your mobile phone that interface with the OBDII device.

·
Registered
66 Posts
Yes, I do agree. The threat is real and it leaves yourself wide open for attacks. Although the device I currently have comes with WiFi and BT(Freematics One+) I'll be disabling it.

What I like most about this product so far is that the data is stored locally on a MicroSD card and if you have the GSM or CDMA cell module and if you choose to do so, you can forward that data to your server. Obliviously if you don't lock down/keep up with your server, the threat exist there as well, otherwise you can just take that SDCard and plug it into your computer for analysis later. What sealed the deal for me was the GPS module. To give an idea of how accurate the GPS is, I was mucking around with it yesterday(testing this inside my room), it found my house spot on.

I wouldn't say the cost of my device is cheap either, it's uses a Espressif ESP32 controller instead of the ELM327... and the fact that it's open source, the modules I can add/remove, and I can muck around with the code myself makes it worth the money.

I'm still investigating this product and it's capabilities... but so far so good.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts