Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I went on a test drive in a Giulia today. Another potential owner was driving and an 'official' was in the car with us. At the end of the test drive, the official that drove with us had the key in his pocket. He had to get out while the engine was still running and then told us to drive ahead. We drove about fifty feet away and parked the car, while he had the key. That tells me that if the key is close enough, anybody can get in, start the car and drive away even though the key isn't actually in the car. Scary stuff.

I don't own a Giulia and can't test this. Do any of you current owners know how this actually works? Or perhaps you could test it and see what happens.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Racer Z, you can remote start the key and the if the doors are/were locked they remain locked until you are right next to the vehicle..

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
If the key is not inside the car engine will not start, all keyless entry/start cars are like that....if engine is already running and you get out of the car with key in the pocket, engine will remain running but if is stopped it can not be started again unless key is inside the car...

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
If the key is not inside the car engine will not start, all keyless entry/start cars are like that....if engine is already running and you get out of the car with key in the pocket, engine will remain running but if is stopped it can not be started again unless key is inside the car...
Ahh... that answers most of my concerns. I've never owned a keyless car.

How far away from the Giulia can the key be and the engine will start? Or is so sensitive that the key must be inside the car?

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
Key must be physically in the car for engine to start. These systems are very precise, all my cars with keyless start before were the same, it is most likely commercially off the shelf available system to car manufacturers. You also can not lock the car with door button if you forget the key in the car....Audi and BMW also would not close the trunk if you by any chance placed key in the trunk, have to try that yet on Giulia but am quite sure it wil act the same

·
Registered
646 Posts
This trunk not closing feature is quite funny if you don't realize it. Once I put my gym bag in trunk (forgetting that key was inside bag) and kept trying to close trunk and it would pop open again!

I started cussing at the **** car, until I realized it was smarter than me!

1 - 6 of 6 Posts