Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a good one for the group. I went out on Saturday with the family and valeted the car. I turned the car off and got out (as they were busy) and walked up to the valet and handed him my key. We went off to eat our lunch and do some shopping. As we come back I see that my car is still sitting there and thought to myself that is pretty cool that they left it sitting there but unusual as they don't normally leave any cars next to the valet stand. I walk up and give them my ticket and the guy immediately says to me, we are glad that you came back as we have a problem with your car and let me get my manager out here since you are here now. While waiting for the manager, the valet guy explains that when he got back in the car he left the key and the ticket on the driver's seat and locked the car. So now the car is sitting there with the key in the driver's seat and it is completely locked. I tried everything to get it unlocked but could not, even have the owner's manual on my phone and searched that but nothing. The only thing it says is that you have to take the spare key out of the remote to unlock the car from the outside, well that is not possible since the key is in the car. After trying different things they offered to take me back to my house and get the spare key. Finally got back and opened the car up and get in and left. Needless to say they were very apologetic about what happened, but still a little crazy. I also called roadside assistance and they had no idea on why or how this happened and said that my car may have an issue as they understand it should not do this at all.

Funny part is that just that morning i was thinking that i should give my wife the spare key to keep in her purse, but got sidetracked and never did, wishing that i had done that but oh well.

So my question to the group. Unless i am mistaken you should not be able to lock the car with the key inside of it. I know on Audi's/Lexus you can't do this, but it was my general understanding that with any of these types of cars you should not be able to completely lock yourself out like this with the key inside. Look forward to any feedback the group can provide as this is a concern for me going forward. Not that i plan on doing this on a regular basis by any means, but I would think that you should not be able to do this at all.

See the picture attached.

Attachments

·
Super Moderator
1,086 Posts
I tried to lock my key in the car just a moment ago. The security system beeps when you hit the lock button on the door. The door momentarily locks and as you close the door it automatically unlocks.

Dead or dying keyfob?

Reactions: Il_Conte and Max

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
I tried to lock my key in the car just a moment ago. The security system beeps when you hit the lock button on the door. The door momentarily locks and as you close the door it automatically unlocks.

Dead or dying keyfob?
I thought the same thing, but the battery seems to be fine. The way he explained it to me was that he put the key on the seat and hit the lock button (inside the car) on the door and then closed the door and it would not unlock.

I should have tried that out, but heading out of town now so will try it this weekend since i don't have my spare key with me.

·
Super Moderator
1,086 Posts
Tried it with the inside button here as well.

Hopefully just a one-off technical malady.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I thought the same thing, but the battery seems to be fine. The way he explained it to me was that he put the key on the seat and hit the lock button (inside the car) on the door and then closed the door and it would not unlock.

I should have tried that out, but heading out of town now so will try it this weekend since i don't have my spare key with me.

well i would think if you use the inside lock button by the door it should in fact lock and stay locked, for safety for example when you are parked and waiting inside the car.

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
I managed to do the same thing in my SUV when snowboarding. Got changed in the back and closed the lift gate *click*. Would not open and I never bothered to learn the code for the door. Ended up using the ski places 'break in' kit (yes they had one) which runs a long, stern wire through the gaps in the seals in the door and pinged it open on the door unlock. I've since reset the door combo! ;) good luck, happens to the best of us

·
Registered
180 Posts
I guess when valet parking the car, easy to open the fob and take the key with you? My previous car was a manual shift and I didn't want some 18-21 year old guy brag to his friends how he learned to drive "stick" on his weekend job! I don't plan to let anyone valet my Giulia either...

If I can't find a place to park and they won't let me park it, my wife will be happy if I take her to another restaurant!

·
Registered
343 Posts
I'm surprised the inside lock button locks the doors when when the drivers door is still open. I did the key in trunk test, and the trunk lid closes then re-opens on it's own if the key is in there.

·
Registered
68 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
I'm surprised the inside lock button locks the doors when when the drivers door is still open. I did the key in trunk test, and the trunk lid closes then re-opens on it's own if the key is in there.
I am going to try some of these suggestions out to see what happens. Unfortunately I am in LA for work this week so will have to wait for the weekend. I need to figure this out as whenever my wife drives it she would be very likely to do this on her own. May very well be just my car and there is an issue with it.

·
Registered
576 Posts
I have a good one for the group. I went out on Saturday with the family and valeted the car. I turned the car off and got out (as they were busy) and walked up to the valet and handed him my key. We went off to eat our lunch and do some shopping. As we come back I see that my car is still sitting there and thought to myself that is pretty cool that they left it sitting there but unusual as they don't normally leave any cars next to the valet stand. I walk up and give them my ticket and the guy immediately says to me, we are glad that you came back as we have a problem with your car and let me get my manager out here since you are here now. While waiting for the manager, the valet guy explains that when he got back in the car he left the key and the ticket on the driver's seat and locked the car. So now the car is sitting there with the key in the driver's seat and it is completely locked. I tried everything to get it unlocked but could not, even have the owner's manual on my phone and searched that but nothing. The only thing it says is that you have to take the spare key out of the remote to unlock the car from the outside, well that is not possible since the key is in the car. After trying different things they offered to take me back to my house and get the spare key. Finally got back and opened the car up and get in and left. Needless to say they were very apologetic about what happened, but still a little crazy. I also called roadside assistance and they had no idea on why or how this happened and said that my car may have an issue as they understand it should not do this at all.

Funny part is that just that morning i was thinking that i should give my wife the spare key to keep in her purse, but got sidetracked and never did, wishing that i had done that but oh well.

So my question to the group. Unless i am mistaken you should not be able to lock the car with the key inside of it. I know on Audi's/Lexus you can't do this, but it was my general understanding that with any of these types of cars you should not be able to completely lock yourself out like this with the key inside. Look forward to any feedback the group can provide as this is a concern for me going forward. Not that i plan on doing this on a regular basis by any means, but I would think that you should not be able to do this at all.

See the picture attached.
Why didn't they get the bus boy to break into the car! ;-)

Reactions: Vailoce

·
Registered
134 Posts
Can you duplicate this with the key in any other location in the car? The reason that I ask is because on my 2014 Mazda6 there is a "blindspot" to where if you leave the key in the center console cupholder, the system will not "see" it and think that the key is not inside the car... allowing you to lock your key inside.

·
Registered
3 Posts
Can you duplicate this with the key in any other location in the car? The reason that I ask is because on my 2014 Mazda6 there is a "blindspot" to where if you leave the key in the center console cupholder, the system will not "see" it and think that the key is not inside the car... allowing you to lock your key inside.
I think you nailed the cause. I locked my key in the car with the car running this weekend and the fob was in the cup holder. I am going to replicate my moves by testing the cup holder versus the seat or the console.

1 - 20 of 34 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.