Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It must have been reasonably waterproof as well, because the whole load went through the washing machine first.

·
Registered
206 Posts
It must have been reasonably waterproof as well, because the whole load went through the washing machine first.
It's actually a pressure housing, capable to taking it to 1000'. Also, in a million years some archeologist will chip one out of the lava from that Hawaii eruption and it will still work.

And we thought a fob the size of a tennis ball was just sloppy design.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,482 Posts
Was the fob loose or in a pocket? If loose, must've made quite a racket in the dryer.

·
Registered
857 Posts
Sounds more reliable and well engineered than the BMW keys I have. I dropped one from my pocket to the garage floor and it no longer starts the car (even though the buttons still lock and unlock the doors) :(

·
Registered
26 Posts
I had a Mazda fob go through the washer/dryer. Seemed OK until 2am when the car alarm goes off. The car is in the driveway of my friend's home in Oregon. I used the 2nd good fob to stop the alarm, but after 5 seconds the alarm restarted. This went on for 5-10 cycles (remember Chritine?) which I'm sure upset a few neighbors. Finally set the offending fob on the garage floor and smashed it with a hammer. That fixed the problem. $350 later I again had a 2nd fob.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
Might want to remove the battery and soak in distilled water to dilute out any soap residue then put it in a bag of rice or some other desiccant for a few days to fully dry it out. The corrosive residues don’t always kill electronics quickly but eventually they cause something to fail if left there.

·
Registered
7,482 Posts
How many times did your car's doors lock and unlock while the fob was tumbling?

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Some more answers:
1. It was in the pocket of a pair of jeans.
2. I don't know if it sent a signal to lock or unlock the car. In any case, it never set off the panic alarm.
3. I popped it open and found no trace of water. I figure there would be trapped moisture even after going through the dryer if it had leaked, so I have no plan to soak it in fresh water.

I purchased the eight year 125k warranty which covers key fob replacement up to $600 or three key fobs, so I am protected even if it eventually fails.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I didn’t know the extended warranties covered fobs. Good to know, thanks!

·
Registered
647 Posts

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
A correction my wife pointed out. It went through the wash overnight while the car was in the garage. It went into the dryer the next morning after I had driven it to work with the other key fob. So we don't know if the dryer would have sent lock, unlock, and panic signals or not. I am guessing it would have.

·
Registered
7,482 Posts
A correction my wife pointed out. It went through the wash overnight while the car was in the garage. It went into the dryer the next morning after I had driven it to work with the other key fob. So we don't know if the dryer would have sent lock, unlock, and panic signals or not. I am guessing it would have.
Aren't we lucky to have them around to ensure we get the facts straight?

Is anyone following the key fob security direction to store it in a coffee can?

·
Registered
150 Posts
I had a Mazda fob go through the washer/dryer. Seemed OK until 2am when the car alarm goes off. The car is in the driveway of my friend's home in Oregon. I used the 2nd good fob to stop the alarm, but after 5 seconds the alarm restarted. This went on for 5-10 cycles (remember Chritine?) which I'm sure upset a few neighbors. Finally set the offending fob on the garage floor and smashed it with a hammer. That fixed the problem. $350 later I again had a 2nd fob.
Ah , the answer I'd like to use for so many issues but as you discovered, an expensive one over removing the battery.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,754 Posts
It is not obvious how to remove the battery from my Subaru key fob; a tiny and convenient fob btw.

Anyway, the metal can method should work without destroying the fob allowing figuring out how to make things better in a more calm situation possible.

·
Registered
26 Posts
Finding the fob battery at 2am with the alarm blasting several square blocks in Portland was not possible. Later, at the dealer, they showed me how to poke the end of a paper clip in an obscure hole in the side of the fob. My buddy also popped the hood on the Mazda intent on disconnecting the car's battery. But the battery hides somewhere beneath a large plastic shroud that covers most of the engine compartment. Hence, the hammer!

·
Registered
67 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Update: Almost 6 months later, the key-fob that went the washer and dryer is still working with no problems.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.