Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 33 Posts

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Has anyone replaced the stock paper filter with either a K&N or BMC filter? The reviews for both seem to indicate they work a little better in terms of airflow, resulting is slightly better engine breathing and therefore better performance off the line and better fuel consumption. Replacing an engine air filter on a 2.0 Turbo Alfa motor seems easy enough and the cost of the new K&N or BMC filters vary between $50 and $75, or about a full tank of gas in Los Angeles. Seems like a no-brainer if there really is some performance enhancement

·
Registered
271 Posts
Has anyone replaced the stock paper filter with either a K&N or BMC filter? The reviews for both seem to indicate they work a little better in terms of airflow, resulting is slightly better engine breathing and therefore better performance off the line and better fuel consumption. Replacing an engine air filter on a 2.0 Turbo Alfa motor seems easy enough and the cost of the new K&N or BMC filters vary between $50 and $75, or about a full tank of gas in Los Angeles. Seems like a no-brainer if there really is some performance enhancement
Hi-Flow oiled cotton air filters will make a little more power to the wheels, ~4-5 WHP.

As for the fuel consumption claim, well not too sure. The ECM / PCM will always work to achieve Stoich, 14.7:1 in most cars, so adding a hi-flow filter is not going to change what the AFR is commanding, STFT / LTFT would adjust accordingly.

Nevertheless, an aftermarket filter is worth the investment.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I've been running a BMC for about 8 weeks. The quality of this filter is really good; no fitment issues or anything. Install was straight forward and surprise free. I did notice some additional turbo noise, but I kinda enjoy that. Oh! And the box it came in had a ton of motorsports trophies and awards printed on it. Plus its an Italian car and it seemed right to run an Italian made air filter.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I just looked at my air filter for the first time this morning (just got the car 2 weeks ago). Filter is basically new, clean, but I can't imagine how ANY air gets through that paper! I was thinking about getting a new intake but I think I'll just get a BMC filter and be done with it.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #6 (Edited)
Thanks for the replies everyone. I'm going to get one (BMC) for sure. I've seen them online around $65 to $75 so really not a huge investment for better performance
BTW props to Madness Autoworks for a really good video on how to install a BMC filter in a 2.0

·
Registered
295 Posts
I run a BMC in my Z4 M and a sprint in my Alfa QV. Mainly extra induction noise, which is just fun. Plus it's a lifetime part. Just clean it. It's cost effective over the long haul.

·
Registered
306 Posts
Discussion Starter #8 (Edited)
My BMC filter arrived today and I just replaced it in the garage at work. It took all of 15 minutes, of which at least 2 minutes was getting the BMC filter out of its box and sealed plastic bag. BTW it was $78 all in with Amazon Prime.
Having a ratchet tool with the right size head makes it incredibly simple. All 5 bolts needing to be loosened are 7mm so that's easy.
Its interesting that the stock filter is much taller than the BMC, but it fit perfectly nonetheless. It was tight getting the hose off the air filter box but other than that it was really straightforward.
I'll report on any driving/noise changes I discern. I'm sure I won't see/hear much but it certainly can't hurt

·
Vendor
2,384 Posts
Not a fan of K&N for reasons of small particle filtration issues. It does not filter well and with a Turbo, I would not touch this kind of filter. I have read all the tests done on these to other types of foam filters, from oil bath to dry, oiled foam and none of them filter as well as a paper OEM filter. The Desert Research Institute did a SAE J726C filtration test on several filters from OEM, K&N, and others. K&N was the worst in filtration. Oiled foam was the best.

Sprint filter would be my choice if I was going to go this route otherwise stick to OEM paper. 99% efficient. Seems like a gamble for a couple hp maybe. K&Ns are great for airflow, which is what they were designed for. Their original application was on racing engines, where airflow is important and ultimate engine life was of little concern since they torn down motors after 1-2 races. They are not as good at filtering as paper or oiled foam types.

Study: https://ac.els-cdn.com/S22120173163...t=1548005146_ed6441ca510e69218baf436d355ba8d8

·
Registered
108 Posts
Not a fan of K&N for reasons of small particle filtration issues. It does not filter well and with a Turbo, I would not touch this kind of filter. I have read all the tests done on these to other types of foam filters, from oil bath to dry, oiled foam and none of them filter as well as a paper OEM filter. The Desert Research Institute did a SAE J726C filtration test on several filters from OEM, K&N, and others. K&N was the worst in filtration. Oiled foam was the best.

Sprint filter would be my choice if I was going to go this route otherwise stick to OEM paper. 99% efficient. Seems like a gamble for a couple hp maybe. K&Ns are great for airflow, which is what they were designed for. Their original application was on racing engines, where airflow is important and ultimate engine life was of little concern since they torn down motors after 1-2 races. They are not as good at filtering as paper or oiled foam types.

Study: https://ac.els-cdn.com/S22120173163...t=1548005146_ed6441ca510e69218baf436d355ba8d8
Not sure who to believe now:

·
Vendor
2,384 Posts
Not sure who to believe now:
Believe what exactly? I do not believe I mentioned anything about performance aftermarket performance filters produce. Most aftermarket filters flow better than OEM paper, for a reason. I was not focused on performance, more so with small particle filtering because in-fact that is why we have filters on cars in the first place. This is not a filtering test which I provided above. This is just a simple test showing that yes K&N produces a bit more HP than a stock filter clean, that is a given. Too bad he did not test a dirty K&N.

Like I said, a proper test on filtration abilities of these performance filters is what I am going for here. The: The Desert Research Institute did a SAE J726C filtration test and other test done on PDF. There are a few others done out there as well that show the same thing, good at airflow not so great at filtering. Sprint is a promising filter technology but again no unbiased SAE testing done on it yet.

·
Registered
108 Posts
Believe what exactly? I do not believe I mentioned anything about performance aftermarket performance filters produce. Most aftermarket filters flow better than OEM paper, for a reason. I was not focused on performance, more so with small particle filtering because in-fact that is why we have filters on cars in the first place. This is not a filtering test which I provided above. This is just a simple test showing that yes K&N produces a bit more HP than a stock filter clean, that is a given. Too bad he did not test a dirty K&N.

Like I said, a proper test on filtration abilities of these performance filters is what I am going for here. The: The Desert Research Institute did a SAE J726C filtration test and other test done on PDF. There are a few others done out there as well that show the same thing, good at airflow not so great at filtering. Sprint is a promising filter technology but again no unbiased SAE testing done on it yet.
I would never allow my filter to get clogged so that's not an issue for me. I have the SF Sprint currently.

·
Vendor
2,384 Posts
I would never allow my filter to get clogged so that's not an issue for me. I have the SF Sprint currently.
I guess I am not getting this across to you. I am speaking about filtration ability not cleaning your filter or not cleaning your filter nor about performance of any filter. Filtration. How well said filter actually filters in microns. With more flow there is a compromise with filtration.

·
Registered
62 Posts
I’m running a BMC air filter in my Ti Sport and it seems to run a little stronger than with the stock filter. I installed a low restriction exhaust from Madness Autoworks and I think it balanced out the airflow through the engine. I may be imagining things but I believe the car is ‘happier ‘ with this air filter. Made the switch over a year ago so now I’m used to it’s present level of performance but I do think it made a difference over the stock setup for sure.

1 - 20 of 33 Posts