Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
153 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Not sure if this has been posted before but I found in on youtube today. I bet all these guys were running in race mode. Considering that there are not a lot of Quad running around it sure looks like a lot of them got crashed.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Crap. But maybe it will push values up? ;) That Rosso Comp rollover was the first I think and well documented. The racing instructor who gave me a checkout ride in the 430 spider down at Thompson for the autocross event said one main thing, "Roll on, roll off" on the throttle. You have to respect the power. Man I have hardly cracked 4K rpm in my Quad, these 600 miles so far, and made plenty of noise and pulled plenty of g's. Spanking the other lane all the while. Respect the power. And lifting is not a sign of weakness. This is not Spa Francorchamps and we are not seasoned F1 drivers, with massive downforce V8 or V10 carbon wonders, blasting through Eau Rouge! Seriously!

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
a good chunk of these you can tell are in Europe.....the Red Roll-Over in the yard was posted here a while ago...that was in a Co-Parts yard...the cracked windshield is Chris Harris when he was sliding the car through a tight spot on a Top Gear episode....
these cars, especially in Race mode, can be unforgiving to a careless or clueless driver.
take this all as a lesson to learn I suppose

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Most of those cars are in europe, so not sure about resale value in US, but still it shows that just because you can buy it, it doesn't mean you know how to handle it, especially in race mode......

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
Yeah, wow...with 500hp and so much competence built around it, it's easy to get in trouble once you cross the line.

Reactions: Alfaholico

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
I would hope that in the US we have a greater appreciation/respect for what lotsa horsepower can do, because everybody has at least some experience with big v8's, usually with primitive tires and suspension, and if you haven't been at least scared, you probably know someone who has been, or worse.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
I would hope that in the US we have a greater appreciation/respect for what lotsa horsepower can do, because everybody has at least some experience with big v8's, usually with primitive tires and suspension, and if you haven't been at least scared, you probably know someone who has been, or worse.
unless you live in southern California........>:)

Reactions: rjmcinnis

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,729 Posts
Quite a few of the pictures are multiple angles of the same car.

Some where somebody must have a set of the CF interior components (LHD) and maybe a CF hood from a totaled Giulia QV that they want to sell to me...

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I think AR could alleviate 75-80% of people’s desire to even put the car into race mode on the street by allowing a setting to open the exhaust mode in at least the D and maybe the N settings. It’s understandable to not have it in the A setting I guess.

I’ve driven quite a few cars now with magnetic suspensions and customizable ride/response and I’ve never felt one that is so pronounced as the QV. If you engage race mode while moving on anything less than perfect pavement you can literally feel the car become lurchy like you have a dog straining against its leash. While it’s fun you definitely need to respect it with all the driver’s aids off but that exhaust note is addictive. They really need to make it a stock option to engage it outside of race mode...

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
looks like my 930 turbo may have competition for "widow maker" laurels;)
Well at least we have the option of keeping the drivers’s aids enabled. You don’t even need to go back as far as the 930. The Carrera GT is more than a handful for even experienced drivers and no nannies even if you want them. I do wonder about the conditions some of these cars were in. If it’s below 50-55° out you gotta keep the car in A mode because the Corsa’s are borderline useless...

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
I think AR could alleviate 75-80% of people’s desire to even put the car into race mode on the street by allowing a setting to open the exhaust mode in at least the D and maybe the N settings. It’s understandable to not have it in the A setting I guess.

I’ve driven quite a few cars now with magnetic suspensions and customizable ride/response and I’ve never felt one that is so pronounced as the QV. If you engage race mode while moving on anything less than perfect pavement you can literally feel the car become lurchy like you have a dog straining against its leash. While it’s fun you definitely need to respect it with all the driver’s aids off but that exhaust note is addictive. They really need to make it a stock option to engage it outside of race mode...
I agree, since I installed the Forza system I rarely put it in R mode, unless I want to do a burnout/smoke out..... don't ask.....0:)

I am saving R mode for the track, kind of useless in suburban areas..... unless, of course you are test driving MDriver's QV.........>:)>:)

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Or driving up the hill to work. :D I have no trouble being careful and warming up the tires, even below freezing. The mamma beast roars all I need her to at 4000 rpm. Wheel spin is for drifters and drifting is not the fastest way around a track, or up a hill to work ;)

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
I agree, since I installed the Forza system I rarely put it in R mode, unless I want to do a burnout/smoke out..... don't ask.....0:)

I am saving R mode for the track, kind of useless in suburban areas..... unless, of course you are test driving MDriver's QV.........>:)>:)
if they(alfa) didn't want you to use Race mode they wouldn't have put it there>:)
of course Race mode is also useful in drowning out the screams of the local constable you almost ran over:grin2:

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
if they(alfa) didn't want you to use Race mode they wouldn't have put it there>:)
of course Race mode is also useful in drowning out the screams of the local constable you almost ran over:grin2:
I guess you still remember that........0:)

·
Registered
187 Posts
Either you or another fellow owner put it:
Allow open the exhaust valve in other than R is a SAFETY issue.

I am hoping Alfa take this suggestion and save lives.

Before that factory setting happen (if ever), search in this forum there was a DIY to open the valve for QV by simply insert a sprinkler system valve available in HD.

Don't take great risk while getting the sound.

·
Registered
187 Posts
In less than 2 month of ownership I narrowly dodged 2 misfortune, once by caution once by luck ...

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
In less than 2 month of ownership I narrowly dodged 2 misfortune, once by caution once by luck ...
Ironically, the only person to ever almost run into me in an intersection in my Alfa, was someone in a Fiat 500 :laugh:

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
I must admit to being a little confused, the throttle does go both ways, doesn't it?

in the muscle car era, guys would go to the oilfields or something, come back in six months with a big wad of cash, and buy a car with big power, terrible handling, crap for tires, would probably drink too much, and sure enough the cars were telephone pole magnets under these circumstances. they did not haves modes or anti anything, they had two or three pedals
my confusion is with demographics - are the people buying quads essentially the same people who were buying superbees, firebird 400s, SS396 Malibus?
I had the impression they were mostly at least a little bit older and perhaps had slightly more driving experience.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts