Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
Did a remarkedly well job of scraping BOTH drivers side wheels yesterday. Backing out of an ATM line because the woman in front of me was there for 10 minutes and still fumbling. I started to back up and another car pulled behind me. I thought I had enough room to swing into the other lane and presto, damage done. Of course the Wheel and Tire Package doesn't cover stupidity. The cost will be $350. Well worth the price. My dealer said it should only take one day.

Attachments

·
Registered
80 Posts
Did a remarkedly well job of scraping BOTH drivers side wheels yesterday. Backing out of an ATM line because the woman in front of me was there for 10 minutes and still fumbling. I started to back up and another car pulled behind me. I thought I had enough room to swing into the other lane and presto, damage done. Of course the Wheel and Tire Package doesn't cover stupidity. The cost will be $350. Well worth the price. My dealer said it should only take one day.
Awful feeling, and I know it well. But those beautiful wheels will be as good as new.

·
Registered
202 Posts
Ouch - I feel your pain.
Sadly, I did something like that myself a few years ago. Hey, $hit happens, so don't let it bother you.
Please post some pictures after they've been restored to their former glory.

·
Registered
2019 Rosso Competizione Stelvio Ti Sport Nero Edizione
651 Posts
Yes, please post pictures after the repair job. My wife tried to back down out of a narrow driveway that had curbs on each side. It was challenging just pulling into it.
She did similar damage to the outside edge of our Lusso wheels.
I was wondering if I could just use a fine sander to buff and polish it out. I don't think painting is necessary. Maybe just some clear coat sealant.
We are still married, but counseling was necessary.

Reactions: JuliaQ4-Nut

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Awful feeling, and I know it well. But those beautiful wheels will be as good as new.
It's funny, no matter how fussy I am about my cars, sh*t happens.

Reactions: sjmst

·
Registered
100 Posts
Ouch! Just go to one of those wheel repair guys, I don't know how they do it but your wheels will look back to new again. If someone should ask, always blame your wife. Let them know she borrowed it. That will get you a nod and avoid all kinds of other questions.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,729 Posts
It's funny, no matter how fussy I am about my cars, sh*t happens.
It's worse than that...

Big ugly steel rimed pickup truck wheels with big ugly MT tires. The tires have curb scuff guards built into them so if I whack a curb there is no harm done, but then nobody notices or cares.

Alloy performance wheel with performance tires on them, seems like it gets all marked up just by getting close to a curb. Everybody notices the marks.

It might be worth checking your alignment. At least in my old Audi, the slightest bump to the suspension would mess up the alignment. OTOH, in the Audi if the alignment was off the transmission would not shift (clever design...).

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
It's worse than that...

Big ugly steel rimed pickup truck wheels with big ugly MT tires. The tires have curb scuff guards built into them so if I whack a curb there is no harm done, but then nobody notices or cares.

Alloy performance wheel with performance tires on them, seems like it gets all marked up just by getting close to a curb. Everybody notices the marks.

It might be worth checking your alignment. At least in my old Audi, the slightest bump to the suspension would mess up the alignment. OTOH, in the Audi if the alignment was off the transmission would not shift (clever design...).
I'll run that by the dealer.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
350 for both wheels? I am quoted 200-250 for just one wheel and haven't done it yet
My Dealer quoted me that. I can't complain. I wonder how much a new wheel is?

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
unlucky - been there! If it's not some Muppet damaging your car it's doing silly things that you'd never do normally. Glad you're getting it sorted so quickly so you don't have to look it :)

·
Registered
11 Posts
Ouch! That's got a hurt time for some new wheels. Hopefully they do an impeccable job so you don't have to get a new set. That would bother me.

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
I've had it done on a Lexus. You can't tell.

·
Registered
271 Posts
This sucks there is a really good place to get those refinished in mineola called al’s hub caps and wheels

1 - 15 of 15 Posts