Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
after reading all the threads about issues and problems people are having with their vehicles, I am having second thoughts.....

Suddenly the complaints surpass the accolades, so I am getting cold feet and thinking about cancelling the order and going with something more proven.......

Any input from any Alfa Romeo owner is greatly appreciated......

·
Registered
94 Posts
after reading all the threads about issues and problems people are having with their vehicles, I am having second thoughts.....

Suddenly the complaints surpass the accolades, so I am getting cold feet and thinking about cancelling the order and going with something more proven.......

I love my Quadrifoglio. Has it's quirks, but the customer service I've gotten is second to none. Honestly, i think that the less people that buy the Quadrifoglio the better. Means i'll be one of the few that dared to take the leap and drive one of the greats.

Good luck in your decision!

·
Registered
646 Posts
How is the QV as a daily driver? I have a biz deal that's closing soon and may consider splurging on the QV vs the Ti.

I've owned other hi-performance cars including F-cars. But eventually and gradually sold off because I can't really use them to full potential and there's no real track opportunities convenient in my area.

What further sucks is that in do about 75% urban city driving and about 25% highway. The QV seems like overkill for that environment and 1 possibly 2 (max) track days a year.

I'd like to hear thoughts, thanks.

·
Registered
420 Posts
I knew about these problems back in February, and then even more so as I waited for the car. I went ahead. The Giulia is a wonderful car. Even in the driveway before I start the car as I sit in the driver's seat and look out the front the car says go, go faster, no go faster than that. The view out the windshield draws you forward, down the road.

I would also suggest that you use the order as a weapon to beat an answer out of Alfa Romeo as they do not seem inclined to communicate with any of us. No information, no order.

·
Registered
437 Posts
I remember when I pre-ordered my Golf R sight unseen back in 2012. In the first few months there were reports of bad water pump / cam belt causing catastrophic engine failure. I started to second guess my order as well. While there were certainly some folks that had issues, by and large I think its fairly forgotten issue, but at the time it was MADNESS!
http://forums.vwvortex.com/showthread.php?5813173-GOLF-R-Water-Pump-MADNESS!!!

It was honestly the 5 best driving years I've had to date. Don't get pre-occupied with the worrying. Stay educated, do what you can but remember, you chose an Alfa for reason. There's simply nothing else in the market that can fill the void. All the issues will get sorted. That's what warranties and lemon laws are for.

Hopefully we'll also start to see more aftermarket parts arriving so we can shift the conversation to more enjoyable stuff.

·
Registered
47 Posts
I've had my QV for a few weeks and love it!!! It's waaaay more car than anyone needs as a daily driver, but I wouldn't change it for any other car. The ocasional speed blast and screaming exhaust will make your day. Go for it if you can afford it, and don't look back. You won't regret it.
So far my car has behaved. No problems, warning lights or issues. But it has only been a few weeks. All updates where done prior to delivery, so that may have something to do with it. We'll see....

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
your warranty covers you - you'll be fine :) Don't think any car is guaranteed to be issue free i'm sure you can go on the GT3 forum and read some scare stories too
Since you became a moderator you have had all the right answers......... is there a moderator program you attended?:grin2:

Reactions: Alfa in Vegas

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
Since you became a moderator you have had all the right answers......... is there a moderator program you attended?:grin2:
oh for sure! it's intense... the part of 'dealing with lust' is the toughest ;)

I know the feeling of worry in reliability. The RX7 was a ticking time bomb with rebuilds... going to Mazdarotary club daily and seeing my friends becoming the latest victim of the dreaded rotor...had many years of fun and the poor sod who bought it off me had to rebuild.. point is I was worrying about nothing rather than enjoying.

It's a lot of money you're shelling out and it's good to be cautious but I think this car is for you.. you know it too. Did you feel it when you saw 407's QV rolling off the truck? :D

and if you STILL need another boost.. 3k miles, one track day (including a few laps by an Italian race driver) and zero issues.. If you need a reminder pop over to CT... :D

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
FNM, I sat in 407's QV....it was a beautiful masterpiece....
So now while I wait for my order to be officially picked up by AR and a Vin assigned, i'll just read about the numerous issues forum members are experiencing and wonder if they will all be solved by thr time my MY18 is delivered.... (finger crossed)
BTW, I have had a couple of other requests for track days at Lime Rock, let's see if we can arrange something in September.....

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
Cool! Sounds good and even better if we can can get some Alfas there :D

Yeah you have a long wait to get through with some horror stories to come I'm sure, but just ask yourself "have many caught fire yet?" and that 'might' stop you taking you eye off the prize. Tell you what we'll rent a GT3 RS at the ring it's a bargain $3k for 6 laps lol http://www.rsrnurburg.com/car-rentals/porsche-gt3-rs-991

·
Registered
422 Posts

For whatever it's worth, I am in the same spot. I have nearly cancelled my order more than once. This is compounded by the fact that my daily-driven '11 M3 has been bomb proof to date. I'm keeping the faith for now.

·
Registered
526 Posts

I am a long time Alfa owner and have waited for 20+ years for Alfa to come back to the USA with a car I could use everyday if need be. I know too well the reported spotty build, service history of Alfa, at least in the USA and with this knowledge I still went ahead and plunked down a good chunk of cash for a Giulia Q. The folks on here have every right to be concerned over a major issue that has happened to their cars but I don't think the complaints have surpassed the accolades by any means.

I've owned my Q for a few months now and have had zero problems as of date with 1,400 miles on the odometer. I religiously read most posts on this site, especially the complaints probably out of nervousness that something will happen. But so far, nothing and I'm at the point that I am just enjoying my car and let the chips fall where they may.

As for the Q, my humble opinion is this has to be one of the greatest cars on the planet today. Very rarely does any car company get it right at the start of a new model but for the most part I think somehow Alfa has. Nearly floored me during my first 5 mile drive in the car, I was grinning from ear to ear then and haven't stopped. The car is gorgeous, goes and handles like very, very few cars available today and is made by Alfa! Who here would have believed that 10-20 years ago? I'm trying to keep my mileage down but I can't. I was trying to keep it out of the rain but I can't. I try to stop staring but I can't... you get the picture.

So Boston DMD, do what you need to do but I can honestly say that you'll be passing up one of the greatest cars that can be purchased today.

H*ll, call me crazy but I even got a Quadrifoglio tattoo on my arm the other day!

·
Registered
226 Posts
<<H*ll, call me crazy but I even got a Quadrifoglio tattoo on my arm the other day!>>

Ok, Tad - we need to see pics of this! Glad you're enjoying you're car so much - I have a similar feeling with my Ti Sport.. I find myself taking the long way home just to spend more time in it... we're back to taking weekend drives as well just to get out of the city and enjoy the back roads.. Have never done that with any other car I've owned in 36 years of driving.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
Thanks for the kind words and reassurance on the QV and the AR brand in general.....

On my way down to Tampa to clean up the garage and make room for the Q when it arrives in the winter.....

Keeping the faith!

·
Registered
526 Posts
Caution - possibly NSFW!

<<H*ll, call me crazy but I even got a Quadrifoglio tattoo on my arm the other day!>>

Ok, Tad - we need to see pics of this! Glad you're enjoying you're car so much - I have a similar feeling with my Ti Sport.. I find myself taking the long way home just to spend more time in it... we're back to taking weekend drives as well just to get out of the city and enjoy the back roads.. Have never done that with any other car I've owned in 36 years of driving.
Here you go, I ain't proud... (and yes, that is the Alfa snake I had done 10 years ago)

Attachments

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Don't worry BostonDMD. These things will get sorted. And yes, use your order as pressure. Now I'm wondering about coupes.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Don't worry! :D

Attachments

·
Registered
85 Posts
I've had my QV for a few weeks and love it!!! It's waaaay more car than anyone needs as a daily driver, but I wouldn't change it for any other car. The ocasional speed blast and screaming exhaust will make your day. Go for it if you can afford it, and don't look back. You won't regret it.
So far my car has behaved. No problems, warning lights or issues. But it has only been a few weeks. All updates where done prior to delivery, so that may have something to do with it. We'll see....
That's only in Race mode, correct? I'm holding off on ordering a QV, the biggest reason is this. With Race mode, all nannies are off, I DO want them on during normal and spirited driving, but I also want that Race exhaust sound in other driving modes as well.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts