Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It seems like (at least here in the US) the staggered wheel package with summer tires hasn't been available on any of the AWD Giulias. However, I was very pleasantly surprised to find out today that it was listed as an option for the 2019 cars when going through the order process at the dealership. Just wanted to share the knowledge, in case no one else has discovered this yet!

·
Registered
253 Posts
Awesome to hear! Don't get why that wasn't available in the first place but better late than never. Definitely gonna be a consideration for the next car once my current lease is up.

·
Registered
345 Posts
Very cool! I have a Ti Sport Q4 and a staggered wheel figment is something I’ve wished for. To me, the view from the rear is the only weak view on this car. Those rear tires just look a little puny. Definitely something to consider on my next lease! (If I can’t figure out a way to pony up for the QV) I’ve only had this car for a month and a half, but I already expect that I’ll be leasing another Alfa.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 · (Edited)
Did they have 2019 pricing? and if I may ask what did you agree on the price with what options?
Thank you
They did have all the 2019 pricing, and we agreed on a price of $100 over invoice plus any Alfa incentives at the time, for an essentially fully loaded build. Not the biggest discount, but I'm getting exactly what I want, and I'm ecstatic. MSRP plus destination was $56,390, invoice was $52,957. If you'd like to know the pricing on particular items, let me know. Here's the list:

Ti Sport AWD
Vesuvio Gray Metallic Exterior Paint
19-Inch X 8-Inch 19-Inch X 9-Inch Dark 5-Hole Aluminum Wheels
High Performance Bi-Xenon Headlamps
Sport Leather Seats
Black/Ice Interior Colors
8.8-Inch AM/FM Bluetooth Radio with 3D NAV
Dual-Pane Sunroof
Nero Edizione Sport
Ti Leather Package
Cargo Convenience Package
Driver Assistance Static Package
Driver Assist Dynamic Plus Package
Ti Sport Performance Package
Harman Kardon Premium Audio System

·
Registered
383 Posts
Congrats! This is cool news. Though I wonder how much the stagger really helps handling? In my experience, the Ti AWD isn't really traction limited and I worry the wider rears will add more understeer at the limit, but I haven't driven a staggered one to see for myself.

·
Registered
31 Posts
They did have all the 2019 pricing, and we agreed on a price of $100 over invoice plus any Alfa incentives at the time, for an essentially fully loaded build. Not the biggest discount, but I'm getting exactly what I want, and I'm ecstatic. MSRP plus destination was $56,390, invoice was $52,957. If you'd like to know the pricing on particular items, let me know. Here's the list:
Out curiosity, what made you go with AWD over RWD? I keep teetering back and forth on which to go with.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Congrats! This is cool news. Though I wonder how much the stagger really helps handling? In my experience, the Ti AWD isn't really traction limited and I worry the wider rears will add more understeer at the limit, but I haven't driven a staggered one to see for myself.
I'm only somewhat ashamed to admit that my primary concern with the staggered package is the appearance of the car. Like you say, the AWD cars grip so well that I can't imagine it making a significant improvement.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Out curiosity, what made you go with AWD over RWD? I keep teetering back and forth on which to go with.
While I went back and forth between the two options myself, what convinced me was the combination of improved off-the-line grip and the increased safety of AWD in the rain and when merging into/across heavy traffic. I'm coming from a somewhat more powerful car, so I liked the idea of making up for some of the performance loss with extra traction, and Houston has enough rain and traffic that I decided to opt for AWD.

·
Registered
31 Posts
While I went back and forth between the two options myself, what convinced me was the combination of improved off-the-line grip and the increased safety of AWD in the rain and when merging into/across heavy traffic. I'm coming from a somewhat more powerful car, so I liked the idea of making up for some of the performance loss with extra traction, and Houston has enough rain and traffic that I decided to opt for AWD.
That makes sense, and is super helpful. Thanks!

·
Registered
189 Posts
It seems like (at least here in the US) the staggered wheel package with summer tires hasn't been available on any of the AWD Giulias. However, I was very pleasantly surprised to find out today that it was listed as an option for the 2019 cars when going through the order process at the dealership. Just wanted to share the knowledge, in case no one else has discovered this yet!
Just for clarity, what are the tire sizes for this staggered setup? I contemplated going for something like this when I got summer tires (with new wheels), but the available sizes didn't seem to match exactly and I wasn't sure how the AWD Giulia would react to mismatched diameters. But maybe I missed something obvious... Thx

·
Registered
202 Posts
I wasn't allowed to include the summer tire stagger setup for the Ti Q4 when ordering my '17. Maybe because I live in New England with snow and cold? So I bought a set of Quadrifoglio dark 5 hole wheels from Kitwheels in Italy and mounted Firestone Firehawk Indy 500 tires in the correct QV size. It cost $2,800 including mounting and TPMS sensors. Handling limits are off the charts and I can't go fast enough on public roads to test the limits of traction. ESC never intervenes in any condition unlike the P7's. For winter I'll switch back to the already mounted Pirelli P7 all seasons for cold weather. Everything fits and the look is awesome. IMO the Firestone's look a lot better than the Pirelli P Zero Corsa's even though they cost 40% less and have 320 tread life vs. 60 for the Corsa's.

Reactions: Alfissimo

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Just for clarity, what are the tire sizes for this staggered setup? I contemplated going for something like this when I got summer tires (with new wheels), but the available sizes didn't seem to match exactly and I wasn't sure how the AWD Giulia would react to mismatched diameters. But maybe I missed something obvious... Thx
Looks like they are 225/40R19 255/35R19. I'll let you do the math, but I guess we can assume that tires within that range will work for the AWD Giulia. I had the same concern, and I'm glad Alfa have clarified, however implicitly.

·
Registered
256 Posts
I got a Q2 because the staggered look is so nice. I also was interested in RWD as my three previous cars were AWD and i wanted different setup this time. The staggered setup is great.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
I'm wondering who will be the first to try and squeeze stelvio quad wheels on a giulia - 255/285 stagger.
meanwhile I've got to figure out if 18 or 19's will clear the calipers for winter tires.

·
Registered
189 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,671 Posts
Yeah, not a big difference, but I still hesitated. Will keep in mind for next time.

https://www.tacomaworld.com/tirecalc?tires=225-40r19-255-35r19
If you forget to rotate the tires every 5000 miles like me, the uneven treadwear will cause a larger difference in tire diameter than you get between those two sizes when new.

OTOH, you cannot rotate staggered wheels front to rear so you can expect significant loss of tire longevity from the uneven wear.

·
Registered
189 Posts
If you forget to rotate the tires every 5000 miles like me, the uneven treadwear will cause a larger difference in tire diameter than you get between those two sizes when new.

OTOH, you cannot rotate staggered wheels front to rear so you can expect significant loss of tire longevity from the uneven wear.
Yeah, good points. Interesting to see which tires wear out faster on a Giulia, I've read conflicting opinions about the wear on the RWD cars.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts