Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

41 - 50 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
23 Posts
What are PCM (Pulse Code Modulation to me, a term from the early 1960s describing the most commonly used way to represent a measurement inside of a computer and undoubtedly used extensively throughout Giulia's systems), ESM and DTC?
PCM = Powertrain Control Module. Also is called an ECU by Alfa (Engine Control Unit)
ESM is the Electronic Shifter Module
BCM stands for Body Control Module

·
Registered
42 Posts
The home page on my app says 1 recall, the next page says good news you have no active recalls....which one is correct
The recall probably isn't a safety recall for you.

For me, it says I have 1 recall also. When I go to the recall sections it says "Great news - Your vehicle doesn't have outstanding safety recalls" under Safety Recalls.

Under Campaigns it lists 1 recall that you can open for a bit more info. The PDF doesn't download for me on that page though, but I can see the date of August 15, 2018. Hope that helps!

·
Registered
9 Posts
The recall is for a PCM update that covers several models, not just the Giulia and Stelvio. The software has a glitch that if a certain DTC sets it may inadvertently suspend certain OBD Monitors. The Monitors are required for emissions testing and verifying emissions system are operating as intended. There are quite a few Monitors, the core ones are Comprehensive Component, Fuel, Misfire, Catalyst, EGR and O2.

If you have a Tuner, return it to stock before you get it done as it will wipe out whatever is loaded in the PCM.

If you have not had any updates done to your PCM in the last 9 months the new software has some much-needed improvement to cold idle and the start stop operation as a bonus.

Also, I would recommend you ask if your BCM, ESM and HVAC modules can be check for the most current software and updated when you get it completed, they have had a number of software updates as well with several improvements. One change is to the confusing start stop message when your hood is not latched on both sides.
Thanks for the heads-up. I recently received the U76 notice via snail mail, so I will definitely ask them to check these additional modules for the latest software. I get an abrupt shift sometimes when I first pull the car out onto the road (first thing in the morning and when I leave work). It only happens once (if at all), then seems fine afterwards, but I'm hoping one of these updates takes care of it. I have a 2018 Ti AWD. Side note: When I talked to the Alfa Romeo Service writer, she said the reprogram will take approx. 45 minutes. I guess her tech is a bit more thorough, lol.

·
Premium Member
2020 Giulia TI
294 Posts
Just got the U76 update this morning. Now I notice a sulfur smell from the exhaust that wasn't there before. Has anyone else noticed this after the update?

·
Registered
6,415 Posts
Just got the U76 update this morning. Now I notice a sulfur smell from the exhaust that wasn't there before. Has anyone else noticed this after the update?
No, but I cannot say that I have sniffed the exhaust either. Where and under what conditions do you smell this?

I just had U76 done and have not observed any change in driveability.

·
Premium Member
2020 Giulia TI
294 Posts
Noticed smell when pulling into garage after update. Had never noticed any odors before. Haven't driven car yet since i returned from dealer. Will check next time i drive.
I also didn't notice any driveabliity change.

41 - 50 of 50 Posts