Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 115 Posts

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I got the call from my local dealer that the first MY20 Giulia, a Ti Sport Q4 Nero, was prepped and ready for a drive, so I headed straight over to check it out. I have a few impressions to share, which perhaps some will find interesting.

First, I was surprised to find a deep pocket in the center console, right beneath the HVAC controls (and the USB and 12v ports) and forward of the cup holders. I don’t know if I just didn’t see this in previous pics, or if it is something specific to USA market cars, but there it was. Combined with the charging pad slot and the key holder to the right of the shifter, there’s a lot more storage available now.

The touchscreen looks pretty good, although now you can make out the edges of the screen in certain lighting. It works pretty well to the touch, and the control dial still does it’s thing, but there are some functions which can only be done by touch, and it’s slightly complicated to navigate around the menus. Voice control has not been improved, and inputting destinations is still a royal PITA. It’s an incremental improvement, IMO, not a game changer.

There was no onboard wifi.

This car was the red interior, and the matching red stitching on the steering wheel and shifter looked nice. I immediately noticed the turn signal actuation was lighter and crisper, a neat update.

The sport seats now have power adjustable height on the forward seat cushion! Having proper thigh support is a huge one for me, making this new feature the biggest news on the new cars’ interior!

Driving it, I was surprised by how powerful it felt, with what also seemed to be improved traction control and stability control behavior (in Dynamic) and improved throttle response. It drove sweetly. Steering seemed a bit heavier, and the braking more controllable at low speeds.

Auto Start/Stop was engaging and restarting more smoothly and with less noise and vibration than I experience in my MY18. I’m not sure if mine has just gotten a bit more coarse over time, but I‘ve always hated it, so I do think some tuning, perhaps to engine mounts, was done, or perhaps the starter was refined.

I think they did some exhaust tuning, too, as this car was legit making some noise! Good job, AR, addressing that shortcoming; I can’t believe this hasn’t been mentioned in the EU launch vids out there (unless it is, again, a USA thing).

Overall, the story is that the little changes added up to an improved experience. It’s not a totally different car, of course, but it does feel more put together than any of the MY17 or MY18 Giulias I’ve driven; just a bit more composed and a bit less quirky. I still don’t like the exposed cup holders, but I’m sure I could get used to that!

·
Registered
239 Posts
Don't bring out the pitch forks and torches but..

I don't like it. The console looks messy now and the lines have been slightly ruined. I LOVE the fact I can hide the cup holders and make it look like one complete unit. For some reason I have never liked the 12V plug either - with all the USB slots why do you need it? Are people still smoking?

I do like the gear shift - looks like a lot better quality.

I'll be sticking with my 18' but each to their own :)

·
Registered
23 Posts
Is the navigation system itself any different? I.e once you go through the new home screen and so on, and enter a destination or view the map, is it a better higher res implementation with some actual color? or is it still a garmin circa 2010 level of sophistication in rendering&resolution.
Then again, why even bother if carplay/AA works ok. What did the car you tried have?

·
Registered
481 Posts
Don't bring out the pitch forks and torches but..

I don't like it. The console looks messy now and the lines have been slightly ruined. I LOVE the fact I can hide the cup holders and make it look like one complete unit. For some reason I have never liked the 12V plug either - with all the USB slots why do you need it? Are people still smoking?

I do like the gear shift - looks like a lot better quality.

I'll be sticking with my 18' but each to their own :)
I agree with this. Feeling good about getting a 19, but I suspect a 22 QV is in my future.

·
Registered
2,453 Posts
Love that shifter. The red accent would complement my car very nicely

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
I agree with others, I like the center console in my MY17 much better. The USB / 12V implementation looks particularly bad — unbalanced and klugey.

Not sure what the issue is with voice input for Navigation, mine works well, no need to ever input a destination manually.

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Listen to this sound! I even rolled down the windows to check it was legit and not from speakers:

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
For some reason I have never liked the 12V plug either - with all the USB slots why do you need it? Are people still smoking?
There are a variety of 12v automotive appliances for which convenient 12v outlet access could be handy, from radar detectors, to tire pumps, to portable refrigerated coolers.

There is no coil lighter, nor is there an ash tray, so I think it’s reasonable to presume the 12v is not for smoking.

Reactions: Montecarlo

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Is the navigation system itself any different? I.e once you go through the new home screen and so on, and enter a destination or view the map, is it a better higher res implementation with some actual color? or is it still a garmin circa 2010 level of sophistication in rendering&resolution.
Then again, why even bother if carplay/AA works ok. What did the car you tried have?
I didn’t bother with the navi much aside from using the steering wheel voice button to try to input a destination, an exercise which is an appallingly tedious undertaking. I didn’t look much at the map imaging, and I’m not even sure I’d be able to recall what the MY18 mapping was like, because like you, I never use the horrid onboard navi, preferring instead to use Waze via CarPlay.

Reactions: JeFizz

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
boost and torque graphics or is that part of an Andoid app ?
Yes, the boost and torque graphics are native car system Performance Pages.

Reactions: Papa Gallo

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
I didn’t bother with the navi much aside from using the steering wheel voice button to try to input a destination, an exercise which is an appallingly tedious undertaking. I didn’t look much at the map imaging, and I’m not even sure I’d be able to recall what the MY18 mapping was like, because like you, I never use the horrid onboard navi, preferring instead to use Waze via CarPlay.
Still curious why the voice input for a Navigation is tedious? In mine, if I speak a full address (number, street name, city, state) at a normal cadence with no pauses, it works perfectly. Takes a minute to process, but it works virtually every time.

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Still curious why the voice input for a Navigation is tedious? In mine, if I speak a full address (number, street name, city, state) at a normal cadence with no pauses, it works perfectly. Takes a minute to process, but it works virtually every time.
Maybe I don’t know how to do it. What I said to the car today was, “Navigate to two six seven five Gladstone Avenue, Ann Arbor.” The car came back, after several seconds, and asked me which state, then which city, then which street, then which address. It must’ve taken 30 seconds at least.

Maybe I drop the ”navigate to” part? I say that because my iPhone understands it, so it’s habit when speaking to a voice controlled device. Do you select the address box then use the voice control button, or what?

·
Registered
1,483 Posts
Mine works fine also ... when we get people complaining about voice prompts at the dealership we have them come in to verify the concern and 9 out of 10 times they are marble mouths.

·
Registered
178 Posts
I'm also disappointed they removed the front cup holders cover, I keep it closed most of the time and really like the look (I have the lusso dark wood, quite nice IMO).

The shifter is nice, granted. And I like the steering wheel changes, too.

How are the controls (nav wheel, volume), do they feel more solid than before, or still flimsy?

The seat tilt for sports seats was already there for MY 19 (not 17 or 18). Was a must have for me (more so than side bolsters or sport cosmetic packages), the main reason I went lusso in my 17, glad they fixed this mistake and have it across the board, now.

Thanks for the write up. Looking forward to seeing one first hand, I hope my dealership has some on the floor next time I visit.

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,597 Posts
Discussion Starter #19
I'm also disappointed they removed the front cup holders cover, I keep it closed most of the time and really like the look (I have the lusso dark wood, quite nice IMO).

The shifter is nice, granted. And I like the steering wheel changes, too.

How are the controls (nav wheel, volume), do they feel more solid than before, or still flimsy?

The seat tilt for sports seats was already there for MY 19 (not 17 or 18). Was a must have for me (more so than side bolsters or sport cosmetic packages), the main reason I went lusso in my 17, glad they fixed this mistake and have it across the board, now.

Thanks for the write up. Looking forward to seeing one first hand, I hope my dealership has some on the floor next time I visit.
Thanks for the correction on the tilt sport seats. I didn’t realize the MY19s had the feature.

Yes, the revised control knobs on the center console are nicer and more substantial. They’re not paragons of precision, but better.

·
Registered
2,629 Posts
Maybe I don’t know how to do it. What I said to the car today was, “Navigate to two six seven five Gladstone Avenue, Ann Arbor.” The car came back, after several seconds, and asked me which state, then which city, then which street, then which address. It must’ve taken 30 seconds at least.

Maybe I drop the ”navigate to” part? I say that because my iPhone understands it, so it’s habit when speaking to a voice controlled device. Do you select the address box then use the voice control button, or what?
I don’t have the address box open, just on the Navigation screen when I push the button on the steering wheel. I do start with saying “Navigate”, then speak the complete address INCLUDING the State. It DOES take time to process, 30+ seconds, but doesn’t ask me for additional input. It eventually digests it all, and asks “start navigation?”.

1 - 20 of 115 Posts