Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,

Been owning a Giulia Quadrifoglio for a few months now and have around 700KM on it. I am located in Hong Kong and wanted to get your views from my observations.. Thanks in advance =)

I have a few questions regarding some weird things I've encountered on this car:

1. The engine is really shakey like really shakey....
- When I start the car its kinda shakey - it just doesn't feel smooth, even after the car is warm, I come to a traffic light and hold the brakes, the engine is shaking. It feels like an abnormal type of shaking.

2. Once the car idles, still in Parking gear, aside from the shaking, I hear this clicking noise.... It happens after about 2 mins of idling.. It gets me worried...

3. The brake pedal - the pedal feel is really instant - like short?! I don't exactly know how to describe it, but its seems really sensitive? Is it right?

4. After driving, the there is mad condensation?! On the side of the front door on both sides, right between the front fender and door next to the big badge.. - Right below and infront of the side mirrors. It might be hard to see.. but the area goes hazy... Any one have this issue also?

I will be taking all this to the dealer soon, but wanted to get some insight from everyone to see if this is all normal before I try to make my case.

Thanks

Attachments

·
Registered
334 Posts
Hi everyone,

Been owning a Giulia Quadrifoglio for a few months now and have around 700KM on it. I am located in Hong Kong and wanted to get your views from my observations.. Thanks in advance =)

I have a few questions regarding some weird things I've encountered on this car:

1. The engine is really shakey like really shakey....
- When I start the car its kinda shakey - it just doesn't feel smooth, even after the car is warm, I come to a traffic light and hold the brakes, the engine is shaking. It feels like an abnormal type of shaking.

2. Once the car idles, still in Parking gear, aside from the shaking, I hear this clicking noise.... It happens after about 2 mins of idling.. It gets me worried...

3. The brake pedal - the pedal feel is really instant - like short?! I don't exactly know how to describe it, but its seems really sensitive? Is it right?

4. After driving, the there is mad condensation?! On the side of the front door on both sides, right between the front fender and door next to the big badge.. - Right below and infront of the side mirrors. It might be hard to see.. but the area goes hazy... Any one have this issue also?

I will be taking all this to the dealer soon, but wanted to get some insight from everyone to see if this is all normal before I try to make my case.

Thanks
I don't have any of the kind of engine shaking on mine that you describe, and mine has 11,000 miles on it. I would definitely have the dealer check that out, that doesn't sound right. The brake pedal feel is different and something you get used to over time, frequently the brake pressure required in stop and go traffic is less than you are used to, but I have gotten used to it and its not jerky any more ......I have not seen the condensation issue you are describing either .....

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
The hazing of that area has been described in couple of threads on this forum...MacGeek explained it is just venting of the lubricant they use during manufacturing process when inserting isolation in fender...it eventually goes away once excess lubricant evaporates, nothing to really worry about even though it is annoying...

·
Registered
423 Posts
Engine shaking - I've heard reviewers describe this as a good thing, connection between rowdy engine & driver. Hard to say if what you describe is normal or not. QV reviews tend to think this car is the antithesis of German "isolation", which IMO, is a good thing.

Brake by wire - seems like your experience is like that of some reviewers as well. They work well during spirited driving, but can be ON or OFF only during stop-n-go driving, making it difficult to smoothly modulate the brake pedal.

Better fly me out to Hong Kong to evaluate your QV more closely... Ha!

·
Registered
188 Posts
Agree to the above comments on (1), (3), and (4); with (2) the clicking noise you're hearing is likely the injectors... it's normal. Enjoy driving, feeling, and listening to your four leaf.

·
Registered
5,017 Posts
I don't have any of the kind of engine shaking on mine that you describe, and mine has 11,000 miles on it. I would definitely have the dealer check that out, that doesn't sound right. The brake pedal feel is different and something you get used to over time, frequently the brake pressure required in stop and go traffic is less than you are used to, but I have gotten used to it and its not jerky any more ......I have not seen the condensation issue you are describing either .....
what ^^^^ said...I have 8300 miles on mine have not experienced any of the engine issues you describe.
The braking pedal feel takes time to learn how to modulate, but the brakes are rock solid.
I'd bring it in as well...curious to hear your Alfa dealer experience:grin2:

·
Registered
2 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Bob! The shaking is quite abnormal.. My experience comes primarily with German cars and this is the first Italian Motor that I've got.. So definitely some worries for me.

The hazing of that area has been described in couple of threads on this forum...MacGeek explained it is just venting of the lubricant they use during manufacturing process when inserting isolation in fender...it eventually goes away once excess lubricant evaporates, nothing to really worry about even though it is annoying...
Thanks man, do you know roughly how long it would take for it to evaporate? My car is only getting close to 700 km.

Engine shaking - I've heard reviewers describe this as a good thing, connection between rowdy engine & driver. Hard to say if what you describe is normal or not. QV reviews tend to think this car is the antithesis of German "isolation", which IMO, is a good thing.

Brake by wire - seems like your experience is like that of some reviewers as well. They work well during spirited driving, but can be ON or OFF only during stop-n-go driving, making it difficult to smoothly modulate the brake pedal.

Better fly me out to Hong Kong to evaluate your QV more closely... Ha!
Thanks Lowlight, like I told Bob, I come from German car background. This is quite the first Italian motor I've owned and everything is just TOO NEW for me I guess? Need time to get used to it. So I assume all you guys have the same pedal feel - The deep push and the brake just bites right away.

Yes, during spirited driving it seems to work well... but in the city its not soo good, we have a lot of traffic and I don't want passengers to puke in my car .

Also for spirited driving, it still feels the steering is similar to when its in Normal Mode, I would expect it to tighten or at least have a heavier steering feel?

what ^^^^ said...I have 8300 miles on mine have not experienced any of the engine issues you describe.
The braking pedal feel takes time to learn how to modulate, but the brakes are rock solid.
I'd bring it in as well...curious to hear your Alfa dealer experience:grin2:
Thanks! will have it looked at!

·
Registered
256 Posts
The Shakey deal does not sound right to me. Mt last car was a Jag and i had a similar fogging on the paint between the front fender and drivers door. I had that car for a year and it never went away. Seemed odd to me.

·
Registered
423 Posts
Also for spirited driving, it still feels the steering is similar to when its in Normal Mode, I would expect it to tighten or at least have a heavier steering feel?
I haven't heard anything regarding the DNA settings adjusting steering feel, only suspension, throttle, exhaust...though I could be wrong.

I'm not a QV owner...yet. Just wishing I was! Finally got to sit in one at the Chicago Auto Show last week. Now I'm truly infected with the sickness, I want one so bad!!!

Sparco seats were perfect. Steering wheel/driving position. Loved the purposeful, minimalist interior. Oh man, I've got it bad. Could hardly believe how it's gotten into my head!

No one does aggressive yet sexy styling like the Italians either, QV really satisfies on so many levels. Love that it's a sedan too. Without compromise as a daily driver or even as a family car really.

I would document all your concerns with your local dealer however. Maybe TSB's will be issued eventually, then you'd be backed up and could get the updates.

·
Registered
179 Posts
I have some shaking when cold and occasional when warm but it is all subtle or minor in nature. I took it as normal particularly with the motor mounts being so soft. Have someone close a door while looking at the engine...you'll see what I mean.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Shaking from the engine is a GOOD thing! trust me. the condenstion is also driving me nuts. I think its from a poorly designed AC system so when you disable the AC the moisture from the condenser gets back into the cabin. I now have a condensation absorbtion unit thingy in the cabin which (touch wood) is working so far.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts