Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
452 Posts
I thought the manual showed both methods for jumping it. front and back?

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
6,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #22 ·
Maybe we have different manuals?

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
To "shotgun" a repair is to replace a lot of parts in a general area, or a lot of parts for a single problem. Think of a shotgun blast with it's multiple projectiles hitting many targets in a wide area, as opposed to a single shot that finds it's exact target. A good technician using sound diagnostics will usually find the ONE part that is at fault, while another may resort to replacing many parts hoping that the combination will do the trick.

Reactions: Chipshot

·
Registered
281 Posts
The little white convertible that shares the garage? The one that I also drive but only on nice days? Am I ascribing human tendencies
to a machine?
I think we all tend to believe our cars have some human attributes, especially our Giulias. They are lovely, with a fiery disposition, and of course they are Italian just like my mom!

·
Registered
465 Posts
If you think our Giulia’s have human attributes (they do), you should date their older siblings. 76 Alfetta GTV, that ran on her own schedule. They also love sucking the wind out of your sails... especially when your front and center at a reception valet drop off.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Any update?

·
Registered
6,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #27 ·
Any update?
She was towed on Wednesday (jump start with a power pack allowed me to back her out of the garage — panoply of warning lights). Appointment is on Tuesday (holiday weekend). Hopefully more information and a repaired Giulia then.

Reactions: -ds- and wingler

·
Registered
6,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #28 ·
New battery ordered. I’m kind of surprised they didn’t stock it.

·
Registered
281 Posts
I've never heard of such problems with automobile batteries. What's so special about these? I've had cars that were several years old and still running with the factory original.

·
Registered
502 Posts
Mine did the exact same thing. It was so dead that my neighbors F250 couldnt jump start it with jumper cables.

I bought a heavy duty $200 jump start box from Amazon and left it hooked up for an hour and it finally started. Went and bought an AGM battery from Autozone.

·
Registered
502 Posts
I've never heard of such problems with automobile batteries. What's so special about these? I've had cars that were several years old and still running with the factory original.
Ferraris have the same problem with batteries.

Never had an issue with another brand OEM battery.

·
Registered
6,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #33 ·
Mine did the exact same thing. It was so dead that my neighbors F250 couldn't jump start it with jumper cables.

I bought a heavy duty $200 jump start box from Amazon and left it hooked up for an hour and it finally started. Went and bought an AGM battery from Autozone.
Hope your neighbor wasn't embarrassed. Truck people like to think their rides are all-capable.

I'm thinking about getting one of those boxes. $200 doesn't sound that bad. One that also functioned as a trickle charger would be even more handy.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Apparently, and for some reason, the OEM VARTA batteries have a high failure rate. One would think that if it was a design or manufacturing issue, VARTA would have corrected the issue, or, FCA would have found a new and better supplier, by now. Luckily, my dealer is very customer oriented and recognized this issue and installed a non-VARTA battery in my Giulia. I got a MOPAR battery that has been working great (car can sit for 3+ weeks without starting, with no problems) for almost 3 years. Is the battery the ONLY part that is getting replaced?

Reactions: kumar_a

·
Registered
6,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #35 ·
Not sure what else is being replaced, @AlfaAndy. Was your battery replacement done under warranty? If so, I’m curious how the dealer was able to do so using a different (though still MOPAR) battery.

My 2017 Giulia had no problem sitting, and my 2020 never sat for more than a week. So I’m surprised that the newer car had a problem.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
My battery replacement was done under warranty. It took about an hour total. During that time, I sat in all the Maserati and Alfas in the showroom, chatted up the sweet smelling buxom sales lady, ate their snacks and drank their bottled water. Why go anywhere else?

Reactions: kumar_a

·
Registered
6,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #37 ·
My battery replacement was done under warranty. It took about an hour total. During that time, I sat in all the Maserati and Alfas in the showroom, chatted up the sweet smelling buxom sales lady, ate their snacks and drank their bottled water. Why go anywhere else?
LOL. So far I haven't gone anywhere. Only my car has. Did the dealer require you to wear a mask while you waited? I'll leave it to imagination whether the saleslady enforced distancing.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
LOL. So far I haven't gone anywhere. Only my car has. Did the dealer require you to wear a mask while you waited? I'll leave it to imagination whether the saleslady enforced distancing.
Thankfully my battery replacement was done pre-covid and no masks were required and I was able to enjoy the full frontal experience.

Reactions: -ds- and Chipshot

·
Registered
1,761 Posts

·
Registered
6,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #40 · (Edited)
Reactions: -ds- and AlfaAndy
21 - 40 of 40 Posts