Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
6,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I hopped into my Giulia to go pick up dinner, put my foot on the brake, and pressed the start button. Nothing. Niente. Nada.
No sound. No lights. Completely dead. I hadn't noticed the lack of illumination when I opened the driver's door. A dead battery?
Probably, but why? The car has been driven regularly. Garaged all winter. Loved and appreciated. Could it be a case of jealousy?
The little white convertible that shares the garage? The one that I also drive but only on nice days? Am I ascribing human tendencies
to a machine? Perhaps. I will call the help number tomorrow morning and start the journey of discovery and resurrection. Wish me luck.

Reactions: MPMB

·
Registered
77 Posts
So I hopped into my Giulia to go pick up dinner, put my foot on the brake, and pressed the start button. Nothing. Niente. Nada.
If you managed to get the door open with the keyfob detected, your battery is operational.

I had a similar issue once where pressing the start button did absolutely nothing. Getting out of the car, locking the door, waiting a minute and retrying did get it to start.

Alfa dealer here read the codes, said the code indicated there wasn't enough voltage across the start circuit/button, but battery health and voltage was all ok.

Haven't had that issue since that one time, hopefully a one-off.

-krish

·
Registered
Tipo 33 Stradale 1/18 scale
2,994 Posts
i think he mentioned he was going to get dinner, so car would be in the garage and possibly not locked so door would have just opened normally

why so sudden ? perhaps something drained the battery during the day - infotainment knobs and switches are about the only thing that can keep active even after the rest of the car shuts down - anything else like a glovebox light etc shuts off after a while, but have heard of volume knobs getting stuck

have you been polishing your knob fervently perhaps and its stuck in the alert position ?

good luck, i reckon battery - might just need a drive for about 40 minutes

·
Registered
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
452 Posts
mine did this a couple weeks ago. needed a jump start . I suspect I didn't close one of the doors 100% and must've had some circuit running all night.

·
Registered
6,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Car was in the garage and unlocked.
As far as I know, all doors were closed completely, and no accessories had been left running.

·
Registered
1,757 Posts
Shits happen and I'm sure there is a solution. Try to re-charge the battery and hopefully get to the dealership on Monday (you may need to do the steering wheel procedure to clear all the lights that will show up). Give her a second (and probably a third) chance and ignore all the Lemon Law the car ASAP coming your way pretty soon.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
It has been reported that there is a quirk with the infotainment software. If one is on the phone and exits the vehicle, for example, the "radio" can stay on, if certain other moons are aligned. There is new software available to fix this, and other quirks that have been uncovered. Then, of course, it could be a bad battery. You say NO LIGHTS came on. Did you test the battery voltage? If it was a starter relay problem, you should have seen IP lights. Please post the cause, and cure for your problem.

·
Registered
6,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Roadside assistance came and was unable to jump-start the car. The cluster lit up (including just about every warning message in the car's repertoire), and the radio came on. The brake pedal kicked noticeably during start attempts. The battery does not appear to be holding charge. I will have it towed (or flatbedded) on Monday or as soon as service can see her. The Spider makes an acceptable back-up now that the weather is nicer.

@AlfaAndy, I am sensitive to what you describe and make a habit of checking the car if I have a "walk off" call. @Giuliano, I have no intent of having things get to point where invoking the lemon law will be necessary.

Thanks for the help, everyone.

Reactions: Giuliano

·
Registered
6,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Assuming your battery is at least a couple of years old and not under warranty you could always grab an Interstate H8 AGM battery this weekend.
It's a 2020 model, @MDLBC, built in January 2020 and delivered in June. It sat from March to June awaiting delivery due to COVID. While that may have had an impact, I would have expected any problems to manifest themselves long before now.

·
Registered
6,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
This is your second Giulia? You’ve been on here so long I assumed the car was older.
Yes, and I am an old-timer. My signature says I have a 2020 and had a 2017 (which I took delivery of in May of that year). Not sure whether my next will be a 2021 or a 2022.

Reactions: -ds-

·
Registered
431 Posts
Roadside assistance came and was unable to jump-start the car. The cluster lit up (including just about every warning message in the car's repertoire), and the radio came on. The brake pedal kicked noticeably during start attempts. The battery does not appear to be holding charge.
The battery won't hold a charge is charged outside the car or won't hold a charge if contacted to the car?

Sounds like a relay if you have power but the car doesn't attempt to start.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
I'm curious, what did "roadside assistance" use to try and "jump-start" the vehicle? A handheld jumper-box? Other? Also, where did they attach the cables? Under the hood, or in the trunk?

·
Registered
6,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
The battery won't hold a charge is charged outside the car or won't hold a charge if contacted to the car?

Sounds like a relay if you have power but the car doesn't attempt to start.
No power whatsoever. Charging was attempted via cables attached to another (running) vehicle.
I'm curious, what did "roadside assistance" use to try and "jump-start" the vehicle? A handheld jumper-box? Other? Also, where did they attach the cables? Under the hood, or in the trunk?
Another vehicle provided juice. The cables were connected to the underhood points.

·
Registered
1,761 Posts
Can we begin to guess what the Dealer "fix" will be?
I'll go first. New battery and maybe an IBS (intelligent battery sensor) too. If they shotgun it, add two starter relays and a key battery.

·
Registered
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
452 Posts
so my dealer said to me the other day it's better to jump from the battery because then the jump travels all the way back to the battery. I jumped mine from under the hood also (but it worked).

·
Registered
6,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Can we begin to guess what the Dealer "fix" will be?
I'll go first. New battery and maybe an IBS (intelligent battery sensor) too. If they shotgun it, add two starter relays and a key battery.
Maybe. First step will be getting it out of the garage and to the facility. Not sure what you mean by "shotgun".
so my dealer said to me the other day it's better to jump from the battery because then the jump travels all the way back to the battery. I jumped mine from under the hood also (but it worked).
What your dealer said is contrary to the owner's manual. The underhood terminals are spread rather far apart. I remember having to modify a set of cables years to reach two distant points.

·
Registered
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
452 Posts
sorry poorly worded . if you jump from under the hood, the juice has to travel back to the battery.
so he said do it from battery.i did mine from hood and it was fine.

didn't want to mess with battery and removing the red sensor cover thing.

the idea w hood points is if you can't get trunk open.

I agree the distance is far under the hood but the cables I had reached .

·
Registered
6,568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I understood what you meant, @JimV, and your logic made sense. I'm guessing not many roadside service people have read the Giulia's manual.

I opened my Giulia's trunk when it was connected to the jumping vehicle. I probably should have left it open.

1 - 20 of 40 Posts