Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
JB – shipped to body vendor

What exactly does it mean? How long does it take to complete this stage?

I know I am asking questions with no concrete answers, but I'll try anyway in the hope that people in the known can chime in......

·
Registered
190 Posts
Seems to be a bit of a catch all status after the car leaves the assembly line/factory as near as I can tell, Boston. Mine has been in that status since at least July 10, and I believe your situation is similar. More recently, I?ve been given the ?awaiting installation of additional equipment? line, but other recents posts in different threads made me realize the following:
1: at some point, I was told the car was ?awaiting shipment to port? or something like that, but I haven?t been told that in at least a month (need to look back at my notes to figure out exact timing, which I don?t have handy right now)
2. One person received an update on a JB status that said something about smog/emissions
3. I think it?s currently unclear whether certain geos in the US vs certain equipment ordered is delaying delivery
4. Most (if not all) confirm JB status stays in effect until the car arrives in the US
5. At least one (maybe two, can?t quite remember) people have confirmed that 2018 giulia deliveries won?t happen until October (despite at least two special order vehicles currently arrived at port in Baltimore)

For reference:
Giulia Ti 2018 ordered May 31 in LA
19? sport package
Alfa white exterior
Black interior
HK
Nav
High perf headlights
Sunroof
Dyn driver assistance

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Roo, thanks for the response......
My QV was confirmed built by various sources on September 13 and then in JB status since......

I wish my vehicle would arrive in October........:grin2:

·
Registered
440 Posts
JB = Jabroni

J/K

Couldn't resist.

I do hope your Q arrives sooner rather than later.

0:)

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
JB = Jabroni

J/K

Couldn't resist.

I do hope your Q arrives sooner rather than later.

0:)
I feel we are related...... thru your white QV experience maybe?:wink2:

Reactions: 407Guy

·
Registered
420 Posts
It means absolutely nothing. Then again it can mean different things to different people. The Alfa Romeo chat people and the ones who answer the telephone will tell you it is still in Italy awaiting this, that, or the other. At the same time the dealership where you bought it will tell you it is in the port, where it has been for weeks. You will post silly questions like this on this forum, people will give you answers based on nothing - think about it how would we know; you will bitch, whine, and complain as I did. Then one day an email message will arrive or the telephone will ring. The voice on the other end will say the car arrived just now. You will say, never mind you will not say anything. It is difficult to talk at that point.

·
Registered
190 Posts
So I have all my chats with AR Customer Support saved. Here's the progression:

July 6: "I found that the status of your vehicle is the order is currently in the build process and the completed vehicle should be ready for shipping in the next day or so." No VIN available.

July 10: "I do see that your vehicle has been completed and is waiting to get shipped to the port is does usually take 4-5 months for the vehicle to come in." VIN provided.

July 18: "I see that the vehicle is currently in the Shipping status. I don't have a tracker for the Shipping, so I couldn't provide an ETA."

August 7: "I can see that your vehicle has been built, and is waiting it's turn to be sent to port to be shipped across the ocean!"

August 17: "So it looks like the vehicle has been built. It is currently waiting to be put on a boat as of right now. In this stage to they also inspect the vehicle very well to make sure there are no flaws of the vehicle. If you had purchased any additional equipment as well they will be putting it on to this vehicle as well."

September 6: "Vehicle has been built and is pending installation of additional equipment. This is a necessary step when additional features or optional equipment packages are added to the vehicle. Once the build is completed and vehicle is inspected we can then provide to you the ETA window of delivery to the dealership."

September 15: "Your order is still in JB status. This means the vehicle has been built and is pending installation of additional equipment. I am afraid there is no ETA as of yet."

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
I'd love to know what this "additional equipment" is. AFAIK Modern factory production is so sophisticated, with robots and all, that the parts have to be sequenced FIRST, before the chassis goes down the line. Then bing bam boom, the car is built in 5 days. unibody, paint, doors, harness, interior, extras - yes that additional equipment - brakes wheels tires badges. then it rolls off.

Maybe they are replacing problem items like headlight washers, ecus, amp covers, UK rain scuttles and so on. But the real reason is probably financial. They are waiting to sell more 2017s on the lots right now.

My car has a production evaluation run entry on the build sheet. It was finished and VIN assigned at the end or July. Bing bam boom less than 5 days, like McGeek says. I just hope no terrorists steal it off the yard. ;)

Sent from my SM-G900T using Tapatalk

·
Registered
3,600 Posts

·
Registered
420 Posts
I can add a little speculation to the installing additional equipment question.

Up until the day before the car was delivered to me Alfa Romeo insisted that the car was in Italy awaiting the installation of the additional equipment. I pointed out to them that this made no sense as the factory was in Italy. What could they possibly not have on hand. The dealer on the other hand insisted the car had been shipped to the US long ago. In my case to Houston. As it is common for equipment to be added to cars at the arrival ports due to national regulation differences I concluded this really meant it was sitting in the port all this time. My wife suggested we drive to Houston, climb the fence, and locate the car to verify this.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Yes! Rebel, pirate, vigilante customs :D I think that is most likely the case. It may be that certain things like catalytic converters, headlight washers, ecu water shields and amp covers are actually installed at port stateside. But all it really takes is for Alfa Romeo to say, do not truck these cars. Stop scanning codes and printing window stickers until October 2nd. I estimate 3 ships have arrived since and including the 2 cars that are confirmed shipped with window stickers. It is quite possible that the two cars were scanned before Alfa gave the order to hold the cars until after clearance. Just like the headlight washers were replaced on the assembly line for 2018 round about or shortly after my car was built. This could mean there are mop up upgrades to do because of imprecise coordination of the shift to 2018. This might look embarrassing for Alfa but it is totally natural and quite understandable for a beautiful, complicated, high performance sedan/CUV. I don't care if a couple things need to be attended to, at least it's not another cookie cutter BMW taking up space on the street. <3 :D

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
John, now that my vehicle build sheet shows up on the Chrysler website using my VIN, could you tell me which transatlantic ship will it be on?
You are the maritime Alfa transport guru, aren't you?:grin2:

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
DMD, to follow up after our texts, and for other guys waiting for orders, follow my Marine Traffic thread. The Hoegh Singapore is on it's way back to Halifax from Civitavecchia. ETA 10/7/17. No window sticker for my car yet.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
DMD, to follow up after our texts, and for other guys waiting for orders, follow my Marine Traffic thread. The Hoegh Singapore is on it's way back to Halifax from Civitavecchia. ETA 10/7/17. No window sticker for my car yet.
Perfetto!

Reactions: John_K_348

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
And I imagine that Cats and other such variables could be installed at this point. It may be that they are driven on and off the RoRo with open pipes! Hehe. :D The thought of them sitting for days in the dirt and sun does make me sad. :(

1 - 15 of 15 Posts