Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know a lot of people are always looking around for different wheels. I had been doing the same, but was trying to find something within a reasonable budget which seems tough to find in our aftermarket, especially when it comes to staggered. I ended up going with flow formed Japan Racing SL01 wheels ordered from a company in France. I liked the flat black the best (they do also come in bronze and silver) and went with a set of red wheel bolts to match the interior. Set of wheels with custom offset and bolt pattern ran about ~$1200 (including center caps and spigot rings) plus shipping. I went with a staggered set up of 19x8.5 ET 32 front and 19x10.5 ET40 rear.

Wheels are rated at 8.9kg (19.6lbs) for the front and 9.9kg (21.8) for the rear. I did not weigh them myself so I can't comment on real world weights.

My one issue was the fronts. I thought I got my ET calculations right but when the shop mounted the wheels they said there was only a single piece of papers clearance between the wheels and caliper. So I had to go ahead and get a set of 3mm spacers for the fronts to make everything fit. Rears have no issue.

I'm loving the aesthetic of the staggered wheels (running oem QV wheels sizes) and the handling feels great. I was worried about increasing understeer but I think the effect is so light it's hard to really say. Once I get to the track I may be able to comment more.

Don't have the best pictures right now but I'll add some more later.

These are known as budget wheels (the pricing probably clearly reflects that) so I am going to see how they hold up. I have a 4,000 mile cross country road trip coming up in a month so we will see how they fare through that. So far Boston potholes haven't hurt them.

Attachments

·
Registered
4,161 Posts
At that price there’s really no way to criticize them. Definitely a good deal. May not last as long as high quality but as long as nothing catastrophic occurs it seems like a great bargain.

·
Registered
293 Posts
Looks good. What's with the SUV-level ride height in the back?

·
Administrator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
4,291 Posts
That's the stock Q4 ride height that just doesn't look right. I have a set of Eibach springs going on once I get out west which should alleviate that.
2017 was supposed top be the lowest. 2018 is the highest, and my 2018 is lower than yours. Weird.

·
Registered
'20 Ti-Sport Carbon Q4 Rosso Comp
625 Posts
@Nik haven't seen u hever for a while. i think u have one of higher mileage and older giulias around here. what's the mileage she at now? any issues?
i'm on my 2nd one now and have 2 yrs left on it but might keep this one due to less options they giving in terms of configurations and look for used qv further down the road.

·
Registered
553 Posts
My one issue was the fronts. I thought I got my ET calculations right but when the shop mounted the wheels they said there was only a single piece of papers clearance between the wheels and caliper. So I had to go ahead and get a set of 3mm spacers for the fronts to make everything fit. Rears have no issue.
While ET measures how far in/out the hub mounting surface is relative to the centre of the width of the wheel, it's not a guarantee of caliper clearance. I've seen on a few occasions that what is supposedly enough ET ended up as just barely not enough caliper clearance because the circumference end of the spokes are just a hair too thick towards the centre of width of the wheel at the circumference end.

·
Registered
473 Posts
While ET measures how far in/out the hub mounting surface is relative to the centre of the width of the wheel, it's not a guarantee of caliper clearance. I've seen on a few occasions that what is supposedly enough ET ended up as just barely not enough caliper clearance because the circumference end of the spokes are just a hair too thick towards the centre of width of the wheel at the circumference end.
+1 The measurements never take into account the actual shape/curvature of the spokes. Rims have to be test fit to ensure clearance of the calipers, etc.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
2017 was supposed top be the lowest. 2018 is the highest, and my 2018 is lower than yours. Weird.
Couple more pics. May have been the angle the photo was taken at that made it look even more extreme. Still don't love the height hence the need for some springs.

+1 The measurements never take into account the actual shape/curvature of the spokes. Rims have to be test fit to ensure clearance of the calipers, etc.
Yeah I knew concavity of the spokes would be a bit of a toss up with no real world data on the wheels but at the price figured I'd go for it. I know a lot of people are adverse to adding spacers especially when it comes to pushing the car but at 3mm I'm not too worried.

Attachments

·
Registered
2018 Giulia Ti
412 Posts
how do you like the Firestone tires? I just put a set on my 18 with stagger setup and so they seem great.

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
@Nik haven't seen u hever for a while. i think u have one of higher mileage and older giulias around here. what's the mileage she at now? any issues?
i'm on my 2nd one now and have 2 yrs left on it but might keep this one due to less options they giving in terms of configurations and look for used qv further down the road.
Yeah I haven't been too active lately but still lurk. And I think I'm up there on the mileage registry around here. She's a Dec '16 build bought in July '17 so just over 4 years old now with just over 71k miles. I too am considering a used qv down the line and I think I'm planning to ride this one out until then. Considering how much I push her regularly plus track days plus getting t-boned by a 91yr old, cars running great. I just make sure I keep up or ahead with maintenance and my latest oil analysis around 60k said everything was looking great and no signs of concern.

The only major issues I'd say I've had were the misfire saga you know about, fixed with a new VVT solenoid. More recently I had my brake-by-wire system fail whenever it rained defaulting me to hydraulic brakes. That was fixed by cleaning the corrosion from the wheel speed sensor grounds. Otherwise I replaced the oem battery with an AGM a few months back and keep a couple code readers handy in the center console for when the rare instance the car throws a code.

Reactions: xc1097

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
how do you like the Firestone tires? I just put a set on my 18 with stagger setup and so they seem great.
I've been running them during summers for the 3 years prior on 225/45 R18s and I've always thought they were great, solid grip and very predictable. I don't know how you beat the treadwear, grip, cost balance that these provide. I do a few track days a year with these and I know I could get a bit more grip with some other tires but the cost-reward isn't there for me. With the wider staggered set-up I have now these tires just feel even more planted. Also very good in the wet IMO.

·
Registered
2018 Vulcano Black Giulia Quadrifoglio
4,418 Posts
Yeah I haven't been too active lately but still lurk. And I think I'm up there on the mileage registry around here. She's a Dec '16 build bought in July '17 so just over 4 years old now with just over 71k miles. I too am considering a used qv down the line and I think I'm planning to ride this one out until then. Considering how much I push her regularly plus track days plus getting t-boned by a 91yr old, cars running great. I just make sure I keep up or ahead with maintenance and my latest oil analysis around 60k said everything was looking great and no signs of concern.

The only major issues I'd say I've had were the misfire saga you know about, fixed with a new VVT solenoid. More recently I had my brake-by-wire system fail whenever it rained defaulting me to hydraulic brakes. That was fixed by cleaning the corrosion from the wheel speed sensor grounds. Otherwise I replaced the oem battery with an AGM a few months back and keep a couple code readers handy in the center console for when the rare instance the car throws a code.
Any issues with the new battery? I thought reports were mixed on the voltage readings by the car for recharging

That sucks about the t bone but glad you/car are ok

Reactions: Nik

·
Registered
328 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Any issues with the new battery? I thought reports were mixed on the voltage readings by the car for recharging

That sucks about the t bone but glad you/car are ok
No issues with the new battery, I never had issues with the oem battery either. I just grabbed the Duralast AGM from autozone.

And thanks, wasn't an ideal situation but luckily only needed body work, wheels, a new lower control arm and passenger engine mount. No airbag deployment so I think that prevented the car from being totaled considering total repair was just over $16k.

• Wow
Reactions: Avnyc11

·
Registered
2018 Vulcano Black Giulia Quadrifoglio
4,418 Posts
No issues with the new battery, I never had issues with the oem battery either. I just grabbed the Duralast AGM from autozone.

And thanks, wasn't an ideal situation but luckily only needed body work, wheels, a new lower control arm and passenger engine mount. No airbag deployment so I think that prevented the car from being totaled considering total repair was just over $16k.
Wow that is a lot of work done. That's crazy

·
Registered
144 Posts
I think your car may still have the yellow shipping blocks on the suspension that comes from factory. The dealer supposed to remove those when you buy the car.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts