Nobody reads slapnicky anymore.....

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,474 Posts

·
Registered
460 Posts
I stopped reading it a couple years ago when it just seemed to become a site for snarky Millennials who think they know something about cars. Though I realize they don't compete for the same space, as a car fan, for some time now I've far preferred spending my free minutes at work with Petrolicious. After the J'pnik hit and runs on Giulia, I expect I'll never go to there again. Why waste my time on what a clueless 22 year-old wants me to think of the car industry.

Reactions: MakeitRain

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,474 Posts
I stopped reading it a couple years ago when it just seemed to become a site for snarky Millennials who think they know something about cars. Though I realize they don't compete for the same space, as a car fan, for some time now I've far preferred spending my free minutes at work with Petrolicious. After the J'pnik hit and runs on Giulia, I expect I'll never go to there again. Why waste my time on what a clueless 22 year-old wants me to think of the car industry.
Love their rebuttals to our comments.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I think what's 'nice' about the bad leasing on the QV is that it keeps the mountain of posers out of the car.

You REALLY have to want this car and put your money behind your passion to buy it even after knowing you could likely get walloped with depreciation.

Porsches used to be like that in the 60s.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Won't; Even; Read.

Hear! Hear! to the comments about Jalopnik in this thread.

It annoys me I can't rename Jalopnik into a snide misspelling that I usually do... Hmmmm.

Car-drop-nit-pick... No LMAO.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
My email to the author Tom

My email to Tom the author.....

Greetings Tom,

I am writing regarding your analysis of the Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio lease offer....I agree that the lease terms are not a bargain, however, you fail to point out that with new models that don't have a "residual value" history, this is not uncommon.

You offer some very valid comparisons, however, your jab regarding "Roadside Assistance" is unfounded and inaccurate and as a journalist, you should be more cautious with your words. Surely you must be aware of the vast number of journalists that have raved about the Giulia Quadrifoglio and while one journal did receive a non software updated car, your generalizations are unwarranted and once again, inaccurate.

You see Tom, I know of the amazing dynamics of the Giulia Quadrifoglio because unlike you, I own one.. It is my daily driver and it is the envy of every BMW driver on the road.

Kind Regards,

Dr. Dino Pappous
President New York Alfa Romeo Owners Club

·
Registered
57 Posts
I don't know anything at all about US leasing but I find their claims hard to believe.

Typical UK lease examples:

GQ lease, 3+23, £840/month ($1080), £2700 down

Porsche Carrera, 3+23, £2156/month, £6600 down

·
Registered
554 Posts
...and while one journal did receive a non software updated car, your generalizations are unwarranted and once again, inaccurate.
Playing devil's advocate here... it's been a **** of a lot more than one publication that has had a Giulia break down or go into limp mode on them.

·
Registered
59 Posts
There are some cheap shots in the article, but the lease deals on the Quad really are insane. Is there anyone on this forum that has leased a Quad? Everyone has bought as far as I know. Alfa is not even making an effort the move Quads through the lease market. You want one, you buy. But by 2020 you'll be able to lease one for under $700. Patience is a virtue.

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Tommy ....you're correct ...but the underlying issue is "Residual Value"....this is brand X for now...The market will dictate that going forward......

·
Super Moderator
1,086 Posts
Dear Tom McPharland,

Please try to lease a Ferrari or Lamborghini and then return to the Quadrifoglio to make a real comparison.

The Quadrifoglio lease rates are staggering and are a journalist's bad dream because the millenial simple math does not add up! It's not fair that the Quadrifoglio leases for 25-50% more than other cars! Oh no! Surely there must be some explanation. It is that obvious actually.

Case in point of exclusive new cars: the lease values are not determined by residual. Read that again: they are not determined by residual value. Exclusive high-performance vehicles of limited production which are *almost* unobtanium to most enthusiasts are subrogated into a different lease market strategy. It is simply termed, "What the market will bear".

Some real Automotive Insider knowledge may be appropriate to understand this premise. Where else is it possible to even think about leasing a car in which there are less than a thousand cars available in the USA?

After all, we are not talking about the every day run of the mill Chevy Camaro, Ford Mustang, BMW or Porsche for that matter. Ok, so take the liberty to add the ZL1, M, and GT designations to those aforementioned models. Where are we in terms of production exclusivity? You may have guessed this one properly. There are 10 to 100 times the availability of those cars and any one can be leased ASAP. Due to the wide range of availability, the banking institutions have developed Walmart style lease pricing for the core market to lease en masse.

Basically, the dart board was missed by a mile by stating that the Quadrifgolio is a bad lease deal. The key understanding of production and delivery statistics is highly important to understanding the economics in play. Less than 1000 Quad's for 2017. Attempt to go to a dealer to lease or buy a Quadrifoglio. The likelihood that a Quadrifoglio will be in their inventory will be a small miracle. That fact alone should be an automotive insider cue that these car's are in a different market segment.

Bad lease? Only to those that cannot afford the price of entry into the club. Every enthusiast and automotive insider seems to understand the Italian car market. Why don't you?

Sincerely,

-Italian Automotive Insiders (everywhere)

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
There are some cheap shots in the article, but the lease deals on the Quad really are insane. Is there anyone on this forum that has leased a Quad? Everyone has bought as far as I know. Alfa is not even making an effort the move Quads through the lease market. You want one, you buy. But by 2020 you'll be able to lease one for under $700. Patience is a virtue.
Leasing was not an option for those of us with the first batch of Quads. You paid cash or took a loan.
That said...as much as residual values do play into lease deals...ultimately when leasing it is the manufacturer finance arm that really sets the tone...if they want to get behind the launch of a car and move units they can...
BMW is famous for it, I have leased all of my wife's BMW's and have actually paid equal or less for newer models with more options than the ones they replaced....
Personally I don't lease as I cannot get the tax benefit my wife gets, so I purchase and I like to keep what I purchase until something else gets my attention>:)

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
M Driver....you make very salient points here.....but on some level...is not residual value tied to the exclusivity of the car and the launch of the model here in the States? I mean a new M 3 is not really a new launch and (although subsidized potentially by the marque's lending arm), it's residual value has long been established and ultimately, how can the terms of a lease be established if you don't know what you have at the end of the lease ?

1 - 20 of 26 Posts