Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 245 Posts

·
Registered
694 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
The Alfa Romeo Giulia Is The Perfect Unreliable Italian Car We've Always Dreamed Of

I'm sorry to see that it's becoming more than isolated incidents....

The fact is, Alfa Romeo’s comeback car has been plagued with problems, and these are increasingly well-documented by the journalists who have been testing them.

Consumer Reports’ Alfa has been to the dealer service bay three times since they bought it. The UK’s Sunday Times had three Giulias crap out on them. Forums abound with reliability issues. Pistonheads had an Alfa Giulia break down in the middle of a test against a Mercedes and a BMW. Motor Trend’s Alfa was completely defeated by a normal driveway. Car and Driver said that their Giulia suffered “foibles.”

And perhaps most damning of all, Road & Track’s Sam Smith said sister mag Car and Driver actually has “an in-house code reader all but earmarked for Alfas, and every test Giulia they’ve seen has had problems.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
8,094 Posts
Anyone know which model they had? I'm guessing base or Ti from the below.

Don't miss the reader comments. Of course you don't have to agree with them.

I guess I'm a glutton for punishment, because I loved the Clarkson quote: “Alfa builds a car to be as good as a car can be, briefly.”

Reactions: John2017

·
Registered
646 Posts
Yeah, this is bad. But as a Ghibli driver I figure it's a step up in terms of reliability.

Hopefully this will pressure dealers to heavily discount Giulias as I'm shopping for mine by September.

·
Registered
3,602 Posts
Probably, but the last statement from the quote block was kind of unnerving. And here I thought having a code reader would help me.

But you know what? This morning on my commute downtown for a meeting (I normally work at my local branch) I threw a CEL on my Miata. It also came up yesterday on my trip to the doctors office. I am pretty sure it was the weather, using AC with headlights on, and having my rear O2 sensor "filtered." I have a spark plug non fouler on it AND a piece of tinfoil with a pin hole in it to help avoid cat codes on my high flow cat. I recently had my collector flange resealed since it was blowing. I check the O2 sensor on OBD2 and I see it's kinda low and flat, but on rev it spikes cleanly just like it should. I can probably take the foil out now since the collector is running tight with no air leak. The code was no activity detected! Lots of rev on quick start before sensor wakes up tends to trip it. I have a new one on the kitchen table.
I also get low rpm code from my lightweight flywheel and fully optioned accessories ;) Stupid ECU. I adjusted the throttle stop idle screw and ECU still insists on 750 rpm. I could jumper the diagnostic port and set it higher but I got scared last time and didn't want to fry it. The Idle control valve is tired too. New one is $200 bucks. :rolleyes:

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
8,094 Posts
This is not what I needed to read. I'm going to test drive the Giulia on Monday and there is currently a war going on inside my head over this.
Test drive at your own risk. You may find yourself hooked.

Reactions: Alfaholico

·
Registered
869 Posts
That's what I'm worried about.
I had total cognitive dissonance while signing the papers. The whole drive to the dealership "to look" I talked to my partner about how it will be better to wait until 2018 because 1st year cars are buggy, Android Auto wasn't confirmed yet, no one had the car I actually wanted, I still loved my Subbie, there had been a few reported issues with break downs already, and surely the Stelvio was going to crush the sales of the Giulia meaning they'd get cheaper towards the end of 2017 - especially with the MY18 already on the horizon.

3 hours later I owned one...that broke down on me at the 1st light after pulling out of the dealer.

·
Registered
170 Posts
Good. I love the uniqueness of my Giulia and knowing the average AR owner is a car enthusiast.

Let the sheeple buy the usual Nappien option. Living the dream over here, extra cucks need not apply.

P.S. Did you see how much hyperbole there was in the comments section of that article? Laughable!

·
Registered
Tipo 33 Stradale 1/18 scale
4,287 Posts
Good. I love the uniqueness of my Giulia and knowing the average AR owner is a car enthusiast.

Let the sheeple buy the usual Nappien option. Living the dream over here, extra cucks need not apply.

P.S. Did you see how much hyperbole there was in the comments section of that article? Laughable!
this one wins the internet for today as far as im concerned

"So go buy a Camry and die of beige."

LoL

·
Registered
170 Posts
The other good one was:

"Meanwhile, a 30-something couple-he an actuarial, she an Office Depot manager-drove by in their 2015 Toyota Camry. Never exceeding the speed limit by anything that would garner attention they arrived at their unremarkable house without drama a half-hour later.

At home they had an unremarkable meal-meat loaf, potatoes au Gratin and lima beans in butter-and then, together watched cable news. Later that night they changed into gender-neutral night clothes, each brushed their teeth (only she flossed) and then got into bed. Their interaction there extended to a simple peck on the cheek and then each rolling over, backs facing, and off to sleep.

Their dreams were of the workplace, and shopping for whitebread. Neither of the couple had ever even heard of an Alfa Romeo Giulia nor how viscerally, owning one might change their lives.

Who do you want to be?"

I almost registered just to like those two comments :D

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
It's the same old dross as far as I'm concerned, sucks it broke down but that doesn't apply to an entire brand and everyones car.. that 2+2=54. I remember old Top Gears when DB9's etc broke down on the test track but did anyone stop buying them.. no... Porches engines set on fire... still awesome? Yep... BMW consistency rated badly for reliability in JD power for like 10+ years...German engining still the best.. sure! ... and the one negative the comment that triggers me the most about the Giulia.."Welllll it doesn't have a manual so like ermmm... I won't be buying one"... well scratch Lambos, GTR's, Bugatti etc as they must be crap too.. so clueless :D

·
Registered
Tipo 33 Stradale 1/18 scale
4,287 Posts
It's the same old dross as far as I'm concerned, sucks it broke down but that doesn't apply to an entire brand and everyones car.. that 2+2=54. I remember old Top Gears when DB9's etc broke down on the test track but did anyone stop buying them.. no... Porches engines set on fire... still awesome? Yep... BMW consistency rated badly for reliability in JD power for like 10+ years...German engining still the best.. sure! ... and the one negative the comment that triggers me the most about the Giulia.."Welllll it doesn't have a manual so like ermmm... I won't be buying one"... well scratch Lambos, GTR's, Bugatti etc as they must be crap too.. so clueless :D
and considering manuals are traditionally the hardest cars to move, make you wonder where they then go
its like "ooo the indicator stalk is on the wrong side" <facepalm>

·
Registered
170 Posts
It's the same old dross as far as I'm concerned, sucks it broke down but that doesn't apply to an entire brand and everyones car.. that 2+2=54. I remember old Top Gears when DB9's etc broke down on the test track but did anyone stop buying them.. no... Porches engines set on fire... still awesome? Yep... BMW consistency rated badly for reliability in JD power for like 10+ years...German engining still the best.. sure! ... and the one negative the comment that triggers me the most about the Giulia.."Welllll it doesn't have a manual so like ermmm... I won't be buying one"... well scratch Lambos, GTR's, Bugatti etc as they must be crap too.. so clueless
You speak too much sense, the internet won't comprehend :)

1 - 20 of 245 Posts