Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

Jack stands

15K views 26 replies 12 participants last post by  lockem 
#1 ·
Im looking to powder coat my wheels, only problem is, is I do not have another set to put on while it's being done. I have searched and found no answers. Where do I put jack stands at? I don't want to purchase the more expensive options for this 300 a pair of special jack stands. I already have 4 jack stands. Thanks!

Sent from my Pixel 3 XL using Tapatalk

#2 ·
There’s really nowhere you can put them. Maybe if you removed the under panels you could find a spot but the car wasn’t designed to be jacked. It was designed to be lifted.

I’m struggling with the same issue. I was ready to swap my springs and ran into a hard stop in the first 20 minutes because I couldn’t find a comfortable way to jack the car up. I’ve got safe jacks and appropriate adapters on order.

There’s a Forza Exhaust controller install video on YouTube:

You can see the placement of at least one jack stand. I don’t trust it though. To me it looks like he puts it on the aero paneling.

#4 ·
I'm a big fan of these as well. Plus with different pads one can use them on various cars. My mistake is I only ordered one pair. One thing to consider is two pair of Jackpoint stands gets closer to the Quickjack price range. I ended up ordering Quickjacks a few weeks ago instead of a second set of Jackpoint stands. The nice thing about the Jackpoint stands is they can nest and not take up a lot of room storing them. I still don't know how I'm going to store my Quickjacks.

Edit: I should say two pair of Jackpoint stands plus extra pads gets closer to the Quickjack price range. I ended up buying the Porsche (I think) pads for the Giulia and generic empty pads for the other cars...it adds up.

#6 ·
Don't yell at me too much here, but I see no reason why you can't lift the rear end up using the diff. I have done it with no nasty issues so I could place jackstands at the rear lift points. Now I need to figure out where to lift the front end where it won't destroy anything.

#8 ·
#12 ·
On a previous car, I jacked it up via the diff, but then got to thinking that the rear of the car is held up by the wheels and suspension, and not the diff. The diff isn't designed to support the possible several thousand pounds of the rear of the car. It is designed to be held in place mostly for lateral movements, not vertical. As such, the attachment of the diff to the sub-frame is perhaps not stout enough for vertical stress. Just my thoughts on this. NV

#13 ·
Yep, always be cautious doing something that is not "approved" or condoned.

#18 ·
In other words, a wooden Rennstand. As illustrated I would be very concerned about it "rolling" and also must express doubts that it will fit under Giulia. Using my 3" high floor jack with ~ 1/2 inch thick Jackpoint puck I sometimes have to lift the car up a little to get it under. That is with a Q4 on stock (but settled) springs. Yes I know you can get somewhat lower jacks if you throw a bit of money at it or use a scares the !@#$ out of me scissor jack.

To make the wood stand study you need a connection between the front and rear stacks, not just lumber on the ground. Jackpoint has some illustrations on their website of rigs that their customers created to be able to lift the car higher than the standard Jackpoint stand height. IMO, if you have a bandsaw, cut a U shape out of a bunch of pieces of plywood, then stack, glue and bolt them together.

#19 ·
I was thinking that I could make 2, maybe 3, jack stands for the price of one of the jackpoint units. Just need to trust your welding. :D

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.