Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
I was thinking that I could make 2, maybe 3, jack stands for the price of one of the jackpoint units. Just need to trust your welding. :D
It's possible to fabricate just about anything with enough time. The question is what is your time worth?
Keep in mind that the Jackpoint stands are 2 piece and the Rennstand stands are 3 piece. The fitting of the parts together is rather fussy if you want secure support of the vehicle.

·
Registered
1,489 Posts
Wow, great info. But there are so many Jacks on this thread....

·
Super Moderator
2,760 Posts
It's possible to fabricate just about anything with enough time. The question is what is your time worth?
Keep in mind that the Jackpoint stands are 2 piece and the Rennstand stands are 3 piece. The fitting of the parts together is rather fussy if you want secure support of the vehicle.
It's a hobby, so time is irrelevant. :D The Rennstands are what I was trying to find, and would replicate. I couldn't remember the name. Just cleaned up my shop area, have a full tank of gas... just need some metal. Hmmm.

·
Registered
6,015 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Giulia
293 Posts
How did you find that information? I have a set of Harbor Fright 12 ton stands model 34924, for my dump truck and backhoe. I've since sold the dump truck.

I'm on a NHTSA email list as part of my work. This is the first time I have seen a consumer product like jack stands, however.

·
Registered
6,015 Posts
I'm on a NHTSA email list as part of my work. This is the first time I have seen a consumer product like jack stands, however.
Yeah, usually products made with inferior materials that are required to meet some testing criteria are simply made with more material and still adequately strong. My Chinese made hold down chains weigh about 50% more than USA made chains with the same strength rating. It doesn't seem like such a big deal until you have to install and later remove 4 of them.

I also have Harbor Fright P38847 6 ton stands for my pickup truck. I guess those are also still OK to use, although they are not high enough to work well.

On a related note: are jack stands rated per pair or individually?

21 - 27 of 27 Posts