Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I'd largely given up on a QV for my next car because there wasn't a dealer that wasn't an hour's drive away. That's changed now, and having a dealer in a reasonable distance helps calm my concerns over a brand/model that simply is going to need visits to the shop on the regular.

I also finally got to drive one for the first time, and have some reactions and questions I'm hoping owners here can react to.

The other car I'm considering is a M2Competition which, I realize is a different car in more ways than just brand. Wondering if anyone here picked the QV over a M2.

For those who use this as their DD, what MPG are most of you getting and can you share that with what mode you spend most of your DD in? After driving it myself, I can see why those without the exhaust mod would spend 99.9% in race - just for the noise.

How many of you are using CarPlay? I'm wondering if it is a good solution for the OEM nav which appears to be from 2010.

Anyone buy the car after wrestling with the fact it doesn't come in a 6sp? When I first learned about the QV a few years ago it was supposed to come with the manual, and was really disappointed they dropped it. I've always owned manuals, and the fact the M2 remains it as an option is a big draw for me.

sorry.. just a bunch of random thoughts and questions. I'd pretty much settled on a M2 (now the M2 Comp), but with a dealer now in my vicinity, and I actually got to test drive one, my eye has been distracted.

Oh, and is there any idea of differences to be expected between '18 & '19?

appreciate the forum. I've learned a lot here already.

·
Registered
694 Posts
Hi and welcome!
I haven't driven an M2, but my previous car was an automatic m235i. I know that m2 owners will say "It's a totally different car" but I've also read articles that say that the m235/m240 is a better car as a DD.
In any case, I can say that the QV is a better daily driver in almost every way: handling, power, ride, viability, comfort, styling and gearbox/paddles. The only places where it's behind is the mileage and with the infotainment and specifically the navigation and the connected features. I get around 21mpg. m235 was about 27. I drive mostly in N on the highway and D on other roads, sometimes with the exhaust flaps open (using Forza controller).

Carplay works fine except that it doesn't have touch screen so you have to rotate the knob to pick what you want. Zooming in/out is difficult.

Prior to the m235, all my cars were manual also. The ZF8sp in both the m235 and the QV is excellent for an auto. The column mounted paddles make it even better. My problem with the m235 was that I didn't get good feedback from the engine so that it was hard to know when to shift. That's not a problem in the QV - I get the right amount of feedback. All that being said, I still miss having a clutch and being in full control.

The 2019 hasn't been announced yet. Not sure if there will be a coupe version in 2019 or if it will be 2020.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
8,116 Posts
Folding rear seat coming to QV for 2019?

·
Registered
191 Posts
I am getting 22.5 mpg. I drive quite a bit on the highway. On highway I drive in N. Local roads in D.

I have not used the stock navigation once. I think the apple play nav works great.

·
Registered
202 Posts
For those who use this as their DD, what MPG are most of you getting
The MPG is horrific (for me). In combined driving I am getting around 16.5mpg.
This is not a concern for me at all, but if its something important to you then you should probably look elsewhere or be OK with this.

with what mode you spend most of your DD in?
I have a short commute involving city streets (no freeways) and I keep it in A mode.
For spirited driving I use D mode mostly.
Most of my 6K miles have been in D mode.

I can see why those without the exhaust mod would spend 99.9% in race - just for the noise.
I rarely drive in R mode. If noise is important to you, then many here have installed a relatively cheap (and reversible) exhaust controller which keeps the baffles open in all modes.

Anyone buy the car after wrestling with the fact it doesn't come in a 6sp?
If manual is super important to you, then you should also consider ATS-V.
For me manuals are more enjoyable, but honestly in a car with this much power and performance, its actually better to have both my hands on the steering wheel at all times. The ZF transmission is very very good and I do enjoy using the paddle shifters. Very satisfying.

As you said, these two cars are a bit different. Usually its an M3 vs QV question. But then again they are basically two machines focused on driving experience and enjoyment. So in that aspect they are similar.

In a very subjective way I'd say this, if after your test drive you did not immediately fall in love with the Quadrifoglio and it did not make you totally forget about M2 then you might be more suited to an M2. After (even during) my first test drive, I was thinking about what financial moves I'd have to make to buy one :)

·
Registered
5,220 Posts
To "M" or not to "M".....

tough to compare an M2 Comp & QV...especially since the Comp pack car is not available in dealers yet.
I have been told it drives more like a stock M4 from a power delivery perspective and it incidentally weighs more than the M4....
that said...unless you need the added space of a sedan, AND a manual is truly your preference then the answer is the M2. however from a purely power/performance perspective it is the QV hands down.
the QV handles so well and has tremendous balance. if you track the car at all you will see it first hand.
there is also the cost perspective, you are comparing cars w/an almost 30k price differential depending on how you option them.
from a DD perspective the QV lacks in the infotainment dept. that is the only thing I miss from my
F80 M3.....
then there is the dealer question. Alfa is having some growing issues with dealers....there is a wide difference between dealers from a service/technical expertise base.
It would seem that Alfa/Maserati dealers are better suited to service a Giulia than FIAT/Alfa or Alfa/Dodge/Chrysler dealers....
so you will need to add that to your decision making process.
Good Luck

·
Registered
399 Posts
I’ve always favored the manual over automatic in a sports car. But I find in this case not so much. This auto is great for me really like it and that would have been hard to say before. Mileage is good fir the performance you get. How far and what kind of commuting you do. Over all I think it’s a better car then the M2. You are going to pay a little more for that.

·
Registered
315 Posts
It sounds like you need to decide what you actually want.

If you want a manual, then the QV is not the car for you. It depends on what your 'must have' list includes.

I have a 2006 Z4 M, which only came in manual and I love it. I would like to say I would have gotten the manual (if it was an option) in the QV, but the reality is I probably wouldn't. The ZF is a phenomenal auto. It certainly is quick at shifting and the paddles behind the wheel add in the interaction to make you feel more connected to the car. Besides, I cant shift as fast as that ZF does.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Thanks for all the feedback. I’m smitten by this car and have been since I first spotted it at a car show a few years ago. It’s the first time I’ve strongly considered an auto. Besides the obvious performance capabilities I’m drawn by the fact there are not many of them (so many BMW’s where I live) and the idea of owning an Italian (sports) car.

My last sedan was a ‘06 RS4, it was a beast but I sold it because it was obviously starting to become a money pit of service issues. That experience has made me a bit leery of getting back into a heavy, high HP sedan and all of the on going expenses that come with them - not to mention the much discussed concerns over Alfa’s general mantenence history, newness of dealer/service experience, etc.

That said, and to Jamgolf’s smart suggestion about reactions post test drive: The whole reason I am posting here is because my brief test drive, in crap afternoon traffic, was so promising. The car completely ‘fries my burger’ in the looks, power and exclusivity departments - so much so - it has me mentally working around the issues I mentioned above.

That is why communities like these are so valuable. To be able to read and discuss with like-minded people who are either also considering or have made the plunge is beyond helpful. And let’s be honest, it’s not like BMW has had a sterling track service/maintenance record of late. (a bud’s ‘12 X5 just had to have it’s engine replaced after a part failure)

Please keep up the conversation.

·
Registered
35 Posts
My last sedan was a ‘06 RS4, it was a beast but I sold it because it was obviously starting to become a money pit of service issues. That experience has made me a bit leery of getting back into a heavy, high HP sedan and all of the on going expenses that come with them - not to mention the much discussed concerns over Alfa’s general mantenence history, newness of dealer/service experience, etc.
What issues did you have with it? I like the idea of these but am a bit scared of carbon buildup, intake flaps, DRC, etc.

·
Registered
619 Posts
I have a bunch of cool cars including two great f cars and a great p car. the alfa qv is perhaps my absolute fav to drive. I would not compare it to any bmw m car. the qv is a total rock star. with that said, I cringe at the dealer experience. bmw kills the alfa there...and there only.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
with that said, I cringe at the dealer experience. bmw kills the alfa there...and there only.
And this remains a big concern on my part. While getting a dealer back in my vincinity helps, it also exists in what appears to be a temporary building, the service center is somewhere off sight, and the sales person I dealt with (while incredibly kind and helpful) didn’t possess some basic knowledge of the car.

The BMW dealer I’ve been talking to is probably one of the top 5 in the country and is a state of the art facility.

As I get closer to making a purchase it will be interesting to see how much this ends up playing a part in my decision.

·
Registered
31 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
What issues did you have with it? I like the idea of these but am a bit scared of carbon buildup, intake flaps, DRC, etc.
Well, tbh, some of it was my fault in not considering when I bought the car: The annual expense on tires and brakes - at the time there was no after market rotor option and as a heavy/high HP, it absolutely chewed thru those - but the carbon build up was a big problem. At that time it wasn’t as well known, people were just confronting it and it was a growing concern on forums like these that it would be an additional $2K annually to keep it under control and no clear idea if it could impact the car’s longterm value and longevity. I got lucky and found someone willing to pay me almost what I’d paid for it a few years earlier.

I think getting one today is a different story. I’m sure there are better, cheaper carbon clean up options and the overall expense of maintaining a B7 RS car has improved.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Lack of MT is what is preventing me to seriously consider a QV, especially since it's available in Europe.

If you don't need the 4 doors, then personally I prefer smaller cars.

It seems to me that the M2 maybe what you want. Or look at a Cayman for the ultimate in handling.

·
Registered
10 Posts
I have a bunch of cool cars including two great f cars and a great p car. the alfa qv is perhaps my absolute fav to drive. I would not compare it to any bmw m car. the qv is a total rock star. with that said, I cringe at the dealer experience. bmw kills the alfa there...and there only.
Another perspective on BMW dealers. When the water pump in my 135i died a couple years back, I got it towed to BMW Fremont (CA). The nice folks there took advantage by quoting me $250/h for labor. I don't miss That dealer experience at all...

1 - 20 of 26 Posts