Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
100 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just returned from a 3 day weekend trip to Naples and the Amalfi Coast. I told my kids that unlike in the U.S. we would see alot of Alfa's and other Italian cars. Other than Fiats, a very small percentage were Italian cars. I would guess about 10% were Alfa Romeos. Barely saw one Giulia. One Ferrari, No Lambos, No Maserati's, Few Lancias, Few Ducattis. I was hoping to get some Alfa Romeo T-shirts or other paraphernalia. None to be found in the general tourist spots. I was expecting more of their brands in their home country. I guess the economy is really bad or the tax man is omnipresent.

On another note, I will try to post a DIY on the front grill light later this evening.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Napoli won't have many exotics..... for obvious reasons......
Milano and Roma would have more of what you were looking for.....

Tell me you at least had a phenomenal pizza!

·
Registered
223 Posts
We have super cars exploding in popularity here in Austin, TX....all these "tech guys" who can't drive are buying them.

LOLOLOL! :D:D:D

·
Registered
7 Posts
Just returned from a 3 day weekend trip to Naples and the Amalfi Coast. I told my kids that unlike in the U.S. we would see alot of Alfa's and other Italian cars. Other than Fiats, a very small percentage were Italian cars. I would guess about 10% were Alfa Romeos. Barely saw one Giulia. One Ferrari, No Lambos, No Maserati's, Few Lancias, Few Ducattis. I was hoping to get some Alfa Romeo T-shirts or other paraphernalia. None to be found in the general tourist spots. I was expecting more of their brands in their home country. I guess the economy is really bad or the tax man is omnipresent.

On another note, I will try to post a DIY on the front grill light later this evening.
Unfortunately in south Italy there is a lot of people who do not own a car, they just "borrow" them ;) ...I wouldn't feel safe to cruse around Naples with a 40K car

I was in Milan last February and I saw plenty of Giulia

·
Registered
153 Posts

I also just came back from Italy (my twice a year trip to visit my 82 yrs old mom in Rome). I was disappointed that did not see a single Giulia but plenty of other Alfas, Fiat, Lancia. I actually made a comment to my wife that I saw more Ferrari and Maserati on this trip than all the others combined. I particulalry remember being near the Circus Maximum and hearing what sounded like a roar. Turned around and this bright red Ferrari just zipped by at rather quick rate. So fast could not tell the exact model but looked like a 458 Italia.

·
Registered
5,122 Posts
Napoli won't have many exotics..... for obvious reasons......
Milano and Roma would have more of what you were looking for.....

Tell me you at least had a phenomenal pizza!
^^^^what he said...Milano is Alfa Central!.....and yes high line cars are tough to find in Naples and IF you do see them they belong to someone who need not worry about someone messing with it!
I hope you made it to Ravello, it is just stunning...
funny Naples story, one year I was doing a lot of driving as my family was already in Italy in the South. I followed after, landed in Milano and picked up my rental a Jaguar. As I'm picking up the car they noticed I would be leaving the car at the airport in Rome. So the young lady asked almost sheepishly, will you be visiting Naples??...I said no, I would be on the Amalfi Coast, staying in Sorrento but had no intention of going to Naples.
The young lady was so happy to hear that, I had to ask why? She responded that she was instructed not to let me have the Jag if I was going to Naples because of theft/vandalism.:grin2:

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Agreed with what everyone said about cars in Naples VS Milan etc. On another note I LOVED and Adored driving on Amalfi Coast and in Naples and ravello. Its simply freeing. Worry about your self and only your self. You need to basically go in with the mind set saying F**K you, this is my road and you are the enemy. Basically its how I would drive in the USA if it wasn't frowned upon by the police.

·
Registered
5,122 Posts
Agreed with what everyone said about cars in Naples VS Milan etc. On another note I LOVED and Adored driving on Amalfi Coast and in Naples and ravello. Its simply freeing. Worry about your self and only your self. You need to basically go in with the mind set saying F**K you, this is my road and you are the enemy. Basically its how I would drive in the USA if it wasn't frowned upon by the police.
okay now I'm a little concerned:surprise:....note to self stay out of Kan's way...:grin2:

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
okay now I'm a little concerned:surprise:....note to self stay out of Kan's way...:grin2:
LMAO. My wifes Father who is from Naples told me at first I am driving very well. After an hour or 2 he is like hey lets take it easy a little LOL. Ah man It was such joy lol.

·
Registered
646 Posts
I wouldnt describe best tactic for driving in Italy as FU. Because there are people there who will play chicken with you and win. In particular old men and old women drivers definitely have bigger balls (and worse eye sight) than you will on those same roads.

You have to drive aggressively, but not recklessly.

Actually compared to where i live in the U.S., driving Italy is less stressful. Except Rome- thats all sorts of screwed up.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
I wouldnt describe best tactic for driving in Italy as FU. Because there are people there who will play chicken with you and win. In particular old men and old women drivers definitely have bigger balls (and worse eye sight) than you will on those same roads.

You have to drive aggressively, but not recklessly.

Actually compared to where i live in the U.S., driving Italy is less stressful. Except Rome- thats all sorts of screwed up.
Let me guess....you live in New York..........:grin2:

Joking aside, in Italy most people in the Autostrada drive flat out, but know the difference between the passing lane and the cruising lane........ unlike here in the US freeways......but that is a topic for another time......

·
Registered
1,307 Posts

The Giulias they have which are equivalent to US spec go for around 60k+ Euros over in Italy with a good amount of options here and there. Much more expensive. I hang around an Italian Giulia group on FB and seeing what they pay for their "Veloces" is quite astounding.

·
Registered
226 Posts
The Giulias they have which are equivalent to US spec go for around 60k+ Euros over in Italy with a good amount of options here and there. Much more expensive. I hang around an Italian Giulia group on FB and seeing what they pay for their "Veloces" is quite astounding.
Yeah Max, this kind of blew me away.. I went to the Alfa.It site as Stelvio's are orderable now there and wanted to get an idea of pricing.. Took a look at the Giulia's with similar options to my Ti.. LOTS more expensive in Italy -.. but then in the UK it looks like pricing is on par or even a little favorable to the US..

·
Registered
735 Posts
Yeah Max, this kind of blew me away.. I went to the Alfa.It site as Stelvio's are orderable now there and wanted to get an idea of pricing.. Took a look at the Giulia's with similar options to my Ti.. LOTS more expensive in Italy -.. but then in the UK it looks like pricing is on par or even a little favorable to the US..
Italian car prices include 20% VAT

·
Registered
580 Posts
I want to say that Naples in not representative of Italy in general. I go there all the time, and while I do like it, the place is very congested and filthy. Northern Italy is where it's at. Go to Milan, it's fantastic, all the efficiency and cleanliness of a German city but with Italian style.

It's probably worth noting that everything we think of as being Italian is from the NORTH of Italy. Ferrari, Maserati, Alfa Romeo, Fiat, all the fashion industry and most of the art. Alfa Romeo tried really hard to make a factory work out in southern Italy (they were persuaded by the Govt. to build the Alfa Sud in the south) and they could never get the plant up to capacity and had serious problems the whole time.

Now all that said, southern Italy is fantastic for visiting historical stuff. That's what I do when I am there, there are a lot of old Roman ruins to check out.

Greg

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.