Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Super Moderator
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Thought I'd try to fit 2 revisions of owner's manuals and a radar detector into the lockable storage glovebox. NOPE!

The door was soooo close to latching with all of this stuff in there. It was so close that it was easy to give it a nudge to latch it shut. Oooops. Bad idea! DO NOT force it. You will be hating life!

Upon trying to open the latch, the latch did open. However, the door did not. The pre-load of the books against the door had spring-loaded too much pressure onto the latch pins. A little plastic piece inside the latch mechanism broke. Ouch. No way to get the glovebox door open. :(

A good friend is a whiz with all things mechanical. Careful examination with a flashlight and a small screwdriver and pick tool allowed the latch mechanism to be bypassed. (DO NOT try to pry the sides of the storage door, the latch keepers are buried deep inside the compartment). From there, the latch assembly was able to removed. A couple little pieces of the latch retainer/actuator fell out as well. Nice!

Dealer: "nope, have to buy the entire glovebox door with the latch installed. There's not a separate part listed for the latch, yet. Oh, and it'll probably take a month to receive"

Wait a month or take matters into my own hands!? I'm not too patient... LOL

So, did I also mention that this same friend is a whiz with 3D printing and modeling ? He brought his 3D printer to the house (not an easy feat). He was able to determine the size and shape of the busted latch plastic retainer using a measuring caliper. He detailed all of the dimensions of the latch retainer/actuator and then took about an hour to draw up the part in SolidWorks.

The first test print was verrry close. He tweaked the 3D model in SolidWorks a bit, printed a second piece and WA-LA !! Glovebox storage door latch FIXED!

Thought I'd share this as surely I won't be the only one jamming 5 pounds of stuff into the 1 pound container! LOL. What was the FCA tech writing team thinking when they decided to make the books larger than the storage area!?

Link for the SolidWorks 3D model file for the glovebox actuator/retainer clip in case you suffer the same malady: http://www.thingiverse.com/search?q=quadrifoglio&sa=

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
that's fantastic being able to 3D print parts...I long for that day I can print anything I need in life

He needs to set up as a vendor! :-D

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Nice save! I knew there would be more plastic failures besides the headlight washers.

·
Registered
343 Posts
Thought I'd share this as surely I won't be the only one jamming 5 pounds of stuff into the 1 pound container! LOL. What was the FCA tech writing team thinking when they decided to make the books larger than the storage area!?
I often wondered the same thing. I've found that in the Giulia, the biog manuals and their binder fit nicely under the trunk floor in an open space. I just keep my registration, insurance card and the "quick tip" pamphlets in the glove box. That give me room for other items, too. In my Spider, none of the stuff fit in the glove box either.

Reactions: John_K_348

·
Registered
658 Posts
Not only nice fix but thank you for posting a solid works model. From the part it appears that it needs some flex in the plastic to install it. So there wouldn't be any point in getting one of the 3D printing companies that can print in metal to make a metal one that wouldn't break so easily?

·
Super Moderator
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Not only nice fix but thank you for posting a solid works model. From the part it appears that it needs some flex in the plastic to install it. So there wouldn't be any point in getting one of the 3D printing companies that can print in metal to make a metal one that wouldn't break so easily?
The plastic latch is lightweight high performance! Ha.

Interestingly enough it appears that the construction of the latch components was designed to be anti-rattle. There are small pieces of felt installed between pieces to keep the rattles from occurring.

The latch plastic retainer SolidWorks piece wraps around the metal key cylinder. Metal on metal would rattle. Plastic, not so much. That's my guess anyhow.

·
Super Moderator
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Do you (all?) have the knee bolster driver side storage compartment?

Thinking back to my pre-purchase options-- I think I remember that storage cubby being an option?

·
Registered
658 Posts
Don't have my Giulia yet. But I don't remember that anywhere as an option. The Giulia seems a bit light on storage so I would definitely have picked it. Is there a reason you can think of why you would choose not to have it?

·
Super Moderator
1,086 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Definitely need the knee bolster storage cubby. As you mentioned, storage space is a premium in these cars.

The books baaaaarely fit into the door pockets or the glovebox.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts