Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have a gray 2017 QV. Before proceeding I have to mention that I have recently noticed a radical improvement in the quality of sound/music on my HK speakers (2K miles), however:

When I connect my iPhone 7 plus by cable to any of the USB ports:

1) Sporadically I hear cracking sound from the left from speaker. Cracking sound does not increase or decrease with volume, but it goes away when volume is turned down all the way. It's not repeatable at the same time of a given sound track, so it does not seem to be directly correlated to the content that it is being played. BT connection never has this issue. All USB ports have this issue. Changing cable (or phone) does not change the result.

2) If I connect my phone by cable and then disconnect it, I cannot connect by bluetooth again, unless I turn off the car. Turning the phone's BT on and off has also worked but not consistently. Reconnecting by cable works fine.
This means that either I charge my phone and live with the noise, or I hear good quality sound but not charge my phone.

Have you noticed similar issues?

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Do you hear this crackling when playing the radio, Sirius or a thumb-drive?

There are three USB ports in my Ti. Only two support data, one is power only. Does your Quad have two or three USB ports?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have three ports as well. One in front, one in the center (inside) and one in the back. All of them show the same noise. No issue with Radio, Sirius or even the same phone over BT. I'll try thumb-drive, good idea.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,931 Posts
This isn't the first report of this fault. Does anybody know if it is HK specific?

I didn't order the HK option.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
This isn't the first report of this fault. Does anybody know if it is HK specific?

I didn't order the HK option.
I have the HK system. My USB thumb drive works great for music. But, when my phone is charging and I'm trying to use it, it keeps turning off and on as if it has a power surge or something.

·
Registered
1 Posts
I have a gray 2017 QV. Before proceeding I have to mention that I have recently noticed a radical improvement in the quality of sound/music on my HK speakers (2K miles), however:

1) Sporadically I hear cracking sound from the left from speaker. Cracking sound does not increase or decrease with volume, but it goes away when volume is turned down all the way. It's not repeatable at the same time of a given sound track, so it does not seem to be directly correlated to the content that it is being played. BT connection never has this issue. All USB ports have this issue. Changing cable (or phone) does not change the result.

2) If I connect my phone by cable and then disconnect it, I cannot connect by bluetooth again, unless I turn off the car. Turning the phone's BT on and off has also worked but not consistently. Reconnecting by cable works fine.
This means that either I charge my phone and live with the noise, or I hear good quality sound but not charge my phone.

I am also having this same issue. I have an iPhone 7. No problem over bluetooth or any radio mode, but problem happens every time with OEM Apple cable in every port. Note: I have a TI with the HK sound system. Anyone know of a solution?

·
Registered
55 Posts

Yup, get that cracking noise when I connect my iphone6 via cable too. Glad someone brought this up.

·
Registered
2017 Vesuvio Grey Giulia Ti Q2
413 Posts
I have experienced the crackling problem via USB but its rare for me. I just had the update run to the HK system and it hasn't happened again. Not sure if the update fixed it or if its just coincidence .

·
Registered
38 Posts
I have had the same problem and thought It was just me and my luck. I'm actually glad to hear it's not just mine that does this. @MorganB, what update did you just have done, and how can I tell what the current system is that I am running?

·
Registered
2019 Rosso Competizione Stelvio Ti Sport Nero Edizione
651 Posts
No such thing

I have a gray 2017 QV.
I have one minor correction for you. There are no "gray" QVs. They are Stromboli or Vesuvio (maybe Silverstone would be considered in this family as well). I had to correct one of my friends who had the nerve to call my Giulia "gray".
Get with the Italian vernacular man!

·
Registered
2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia 2.0
104 Posts
Alfa pushed quite some updates overall. everytime they say it should fix the cracking noise. But it never did. I still have this issue, I just restart the headunit. Frustrating, yes, helpless? maybe (at this point)

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Hmm, maybe ground loop or simple interference? But that would make more sense over audio. Just ideas.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts