Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
2019 Alfa Romeo Giulia Ti Carbon
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I recently installed a JB4 on to my 2.0 Giulia. At first I was very pleased, huge increase in power and low-end torque. However about 4 days after I installed it, something happened and I've been experiencing a massive loss of power and poor throttle response. Figured it may have been the DV which couldn't hold the extra boost but after upgrading it to the GFB DV+ still nothing. I emailed Burger some logs but so far nothing, it looks normal to them. My guess is it's a boost leak, but not certain. Any ideas? Next step for me is to remove the JB4 and go back to stock to see if the problem goes away. Thanks!

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Do you have the Bluetooth connection. It automatically saves full throttle datalogs and even graphs them for you. Run a wot 4th gear log from 2krpm to redline and post it

·
Registered
2018 Stelvio Sport Q4 Nor-Cal PRK
26 Posts
@SeaPancakes

Not saying this is 100% across the board, just what I've read on the two forums and the internet.

Position 1 on the JB4 works fine, and as soon as guys start working their way up the power ladder with the tuner that problems start cropping up - such as CEL's

Did you start out in Position 1 and everything worked A-OK?

How long/many days did you stay in Position 1 and how'd that work out reliability wise?

I'm guessing that after the butt dyno increase you experienced in Position 1, you worked your way up the power/position ladder (due to the addition of the GFB DV+) - is that the case?

What position were you in when everything went down hill?

Did you try going back to Position 1 after everything went downhill - and if so - what happened?

Any Check Engine Lights in this whole experiment?

Perhaps you blew a hose connection on a intercooler hose - did you check your connections?

Other than those thoughts/ideas - I think you're on the right path; return to stock and go from there.

Let us know how it works out - the more details the better & good luck!

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
@SeaPancakes

Not saying this is 100% across the board, just what I've read on the two forums and the internet.

Position 1 on the JB4 works fine, and as soon as guys start working their way up the power ladder with the tuner that problems start cropping up - such as CEL's

Did you start out in Position 1 and everything worked A-OK?

How long/many days did you stay in Position 1 and how'd that work out reliability wise?

I'm guessing that after the butt dyno increase you experienced in Position 1, you worked your way up the power/position ladder (due to the addition of the GFB DV+) - is that the case?

What position were you in when everything went down hill?

Did you try going back to Position 1 after everything went downhill - and if so - what happened?

Any Check Engine Lights in this whole experiment?

Perhaps you blew a hose connection on a intercooler hose - did you check your connections?

Other than those thoughts/ideas - I think you're on the right path; return to stock and go from there.

Let us know how it works out - the more details the better & good luck!
Here's where I'm at right now:
Reverted the car back to stock, so I won't be able to gather any logs, but issue has not been resolved. Feels like I have 0 boost. As far as I can see no hoses have blown, but I'm no expert. Probably will take the car in for service this week. Putting the stock air filter back in, however will just hope the don't notice the dv+ as the stock piston cracked when I was removing it. As far as what happened when it all went downhill, I was in map 1. Tried map 2 for a bit but found it to be no different, so I went back to map 1. I run on 93 pump gas. No check engine lights with the exception of a CEL I got while doing a pull from 0-80 in map 2, which seems to happen for the cars with the recall. Went back to map 1 after that. Cleared code, no issues until 4 days later when it happened.

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Here's where I'm at right now:
Reverted the car back to stock, so I won't be able to gather any logs, but issue has not been resolved. Feels like I have 0 boost. As far as I can see no hoses have blown, but I'm no expert. Probably will take the car in for service this week. Putting the stock air filter back in, however will just hope the don't notice the dv+ as the stock piston cracked when I was removing it. As far as what happened when it all went downhill, I was in map 1. Tried map 2 for a bit but found it to be no different, so I went back to map 1. I run on 93 pump gas. No check engine lights with the exception of a CEL I got while doing a pull from 0-80 in map 2, which seems to happen for the cars with the recall. Went back to map 1 after that. Cleared code, no issues until 4 days later when it happened.
Id strongly suggest logging or putting the stock bpv in before going to the dealership. Modification of the bpv can certainly play into boost related issues and it would be a shame if your dealer flagged you for that particularly if you had a real issue like turbo problem.

Logging will show whats going on or if yiud prefer the dealer do the diagnosis , at least give them one with all stock parts :)

·
Registered
26 Posts
@SeaPancakes

Seriously - two points:

* First, the Dealership will more than notice the non-stock diverter valve...

* Second, when that occurs, more than likely you'll have no warranty to fall back on, as well as a note on your cars permanent record.

Two Suggestions

* First; Using the part numbers off of your original valve, I suggest you either buy a used one off of Ebay or a new one from any of the online MOPAR dealers. Another idea is maybe some dealer like Alfalissimo has a customer take off he can sell you and 2nd day air it to you. OR - post a Wand To Buy in the for sale section.

* Second: I imagine the subject of bringing it into the dealership with the GFB DV+ was brought up because your Giulia is your only/primary car.

Therefore, I suggest you do a one week rental from Enterprise on an econobox while you obtain the proper factory OEM diverter valve.

1 week rental is suggested because that's when the rental price really drops - you'll get it for what a 3 day rental would be.

Good luck and let us know how it all works out!

·
Super Moderator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,190 Posts
I got rid of the GFB DV+ and have been very happy with the completely adequate and more reliable stock purge solenoid.

PN: 4893902AB

Reactions: Alfa Philly

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
@SeaPancakes

Seriously - two points:

* First, the Dealership will more than notice the non-stock diverter valve...

* Second, when that occurs, more than likely you'll have no warranty to fall back on, as well as a note on your cars permanent record.

Two Suggestions

* First; Using the part numbers off of your original valve, I suggest you either buy a used one off of Ebay or a new one from any of the online MOPAR dealers. Another idea is maybe some dealer like Alfalissimo has a customer take off he can sell you and 2nd day air it to you. OR - post a Wand To Buy in the for sale section.

* Second: I imagine the subject of bringing it into the dealership with the GFB DV+ was brought up because your Giulia is your only/primary car.

Therefore, I suggest you do a one week rental from Enterprise on an econobox while you obtain the proper factory OEM diverter valve.

1 week rental is suggested because that's when the rental price really drops - you'll get it for what a 3 day rental would be.

Good luck and let us know how it all works out!
Already on it. Bought a new stock DV from Eurocompulsion, will put it on as soon as it arrives. I've been driving the car a bit trying to determine the issue, but am trying to limit the amount I drive it as much as I can. I suspect a ruptured intercooler hose, as far as I can tell all of the hoses are still connected, so a hose with a tear that I can't see would make sense. Gotta say I'm pretty disappointed that this happened at all, expected more from the JB4 after all the positive remarks I've seen on the forums. Contemplating whether to even put it back on after the issue is resolved, it's possible that it was some random occurrence unrelated or just accelerated by the JB4... guess I'll find out soon enough. I appreciate all the help from everyone, will be sure to keep the updates coming, hoping no one else will have to go through this.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I got rid of the GFB DV+ and have been very happy with the completely adequate and more reliable stock purge solenoid.

PN: 4893902AB
Yep, just ordered one. Did you still have reliability issues even when running without the spring?

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Already on it. Bought a new stock DV from Eurocompulsion, will put it on as soon as it arrives. I've been driving the car a bit trying to determine the issue, but am trying to limit the amount I drive it as much as I can. I suspect a ruptured intercooler hose, as far as I can tell all of the hoses are still connected, so a hose with a tear that I can't see would make sense. Gotta say I'm pretty disappointed that this happened at all, expected more from the JB4 after all the positive remarks I've seen on the forums. Contemplating whether to even put it back on after the issue is resolved, it's possible that it was some random occurrence unrelated or just accelerated by the JB4... guess I'll find out soon enough. I appreciate all the help from everyone, will be sure to keep the updates coming, hoping no one else will have to go through this.
Not sure i am connecting the dots. If you suspect a torn intercooler hose why would you not be happy with the jb4?

Also what makes you suspect a ruptured ic hose? Its just the plastic boost tube that goes from turbo to ic and ive never heard of one blowing yet.

Do the diagnostics first. See whats really going on.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Not sure i am connecting the dots. If you suspect a torn intercooler hose why would you not be happy with the jb4?

Also what makes you suspect a ruptured ic hose? Its just the plastic boost tube that goes from turbo to ic and ive never heard of one blowing yet.

Do the diagnostics first. See whats really going on.
Yeah you're right, just frustrated with the whole ordeal. You're right, I'm not sure. Hopefully will know soon enough

·
Registered
1,057 Posts
Keep your head up. Most likely something easy. With a bit of luck the new oem bpv may even fix the ussue. Dont worry youll get it sorted

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #14
Keep your head up. Most likely something easy. With a bit of luck the new oem bpv may even fix the ussue. Dont worry youll get it sorted
I will! I actually have a Stelvio that I will be using for my commute as of now until this gets sorted, so I don't have to rely on the Giulia for the next little bit. Also very true, the seal did seam somewhat worn on my current one, but I don't know enough to be able to say for sure one way or the other. Will keep everyone updated!

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giula Ti-Sport Carbon AWD
396 Posts
I will! I actually have a Stelvio that I will be using for my commute as of now until this gets sorted, so I don't have to rely on the Giulia for the next little bit. Also very true, the seal did seam somewhat worn on my current one, but I don't know enough to be able to say for sure one way or the other. Will keep everyone updated!
if you have stelvio to use, can't you test the DV from stelvio and use it on Giulia as it's same part or is it different part?
or would you rather not take chance/damage to have 2 broken vehicles?

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
if you have stelvio to use, can't you test the DV from stelvio and use it on Giulia as it's same part or is it different part?
or would you rather not take chance/damage to have 2 broken vehicles?
I thought about it, but decided that if anything is seriously wrong with the Giulia I'm gonna limit it to just the giulia. I have a new factory diverter coming in hopefully 3 days so I figure no reason to risk it. Thanks for the input though :)

·
Super Moderator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,190 Posts
Reactions: Alfa Philly

·
Super Moderator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,190 Posts

·
Registered
26 Posts
@JeFizz

I understand from this thread that you are not a fan of the GFB DV+ ;)

Just for clarification - are you running a JB4 or are you "stock" ?

·
Super Moderator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,190 Posts
@JeFizz

I understand from this thread that you are not a fan of the GFB DV+ ;)

Just for clarification - are you running a JB4 or are you "stock" ?
EC Euro+Drive Phase 2 tune. I had problems at Road America and to try and resolve the errors I reverted the tune and race mode mod until the only mods left were the GFB DV+ and the EC V2 intake. I still had "manifold pressure" issues. A couple weeks back I had another track event where I had all of the mods back in place, but this time with the OEM purge solenoid. ZERO issues.

1 - 20 of 27 Posts