Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

21 - 40 of 43 Posts

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I lived in Walnut Creek back in 1995/96.

I drove through Walnut Creek in a Q4 recently (March 13, 2020). I was driving up 680, but decided for nostalgia reasons to veer off and drive into Main Street, Ygnacio, Montego, and back to 680. I don't think the car was bouncy or unusual there. So I think your car needs some TLC.

locally I have bumps I know/familiar ...close by freeway offramp‘s slow lanes etc. from my previous car handled it, which was German (vw cc r line and gti) and this car just takes the bumps differently doesn’t bounce evenly? So weird?

·
Registered
12 Posts
I lived in Walnut Creek back in 1995/96.

I drove through Walnut Creek in a Q4 recently (March 13, 2020). I was driving up 680, but decided for nostalgia reasons to veer off and drive into Main Street, Ygnacio, Montego, and back to 680. I don't think the car was bouncy or unusual there. So I think your car needs some TLC.
Not sure this car only has 15,000 miles on it it is pretty much pristine ... it does have a replacement tire and perhaps it got lifted incorrectly also? (Who knows) I’m in Lafayette so you probably know where that is…

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
I did toast masters in Lafayette in the 90s. Get it checked.

·
Registered
1,151 Posts
@Crosshairs would know better than me, but I would think that's quite possible, yes.
I would say depending on the style lift and what contact points they used, its quite possible to bend stuff....one thing I've learned over the years is to never underestimate the ability of an idiot to do things I once thought impossible

·
Registered
120 Posts
...one thing I've learned over the years is to never underestimate the ability of an idiot to do things I once thought impossible
Ain't it the TRUTH! To which I'll add:
“A common mistake that people make when trying to design something completely foolproof is to underestimate the ingenuity of complete fools.”

― Douglas Adams

As for the topic at hand, unless I'm using a high end shop, any vehicle I have owned that is even remotely not mainstream, I just bring the wheels/tires when I need new rubber. I know that's not an option for everyone, and it's a hassle, but I'd rather deal with that inconvenience than the consequences.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
I just bring the wheels/tires when I need new rubber. I know that's not an option for everyone, and it's a hassle, but I'd rather deal with that inconvenience than the consequences.
I do wish I could have done that as I was nervous dealing with this shop but I have no practical way of doing so. I'd forgotten how inept some of these shops can be.

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
For whatever it's worth, I've found that the liability insurance of Costco, BJ's wholesale, & Pepboys tend to cover their mistakes the best.

You know. Because somebody has to backstop the loss when professionals make mistakes.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
It wasn't one of those three shops but I'm sure they have insurance. If the Alfa dealer's findings (it's at the dealership now) suggest that the damage was caused by an improperly performed lift then I'll need to prove it to the shop which changed the tires and that could be tricky since it's been a month.

·
Registered
317 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
The dealership says that there was too much play in the suspension so they're going to order a couple of parts (lower control arm and knuckle). It's a warranty repair. There was no talk of what may have caused this.

·
Registered
5,595 Posts
Not sure this car only has 15,000 miles on it it is pretty much pristine ... it does have a replacement tire and perhaps it got lifted incorrectly also? (Who knows) I’m in Lafayette so you probably know where that is…
At least you are in close proximity of Walnut Creek Alfa.
I have my wheels done at California Wheels in Campbell. Otherwise I bring the wheels to the shop and even then America's Tire failed to remove the foam pads for the old wheel weights. I bought my winter use Nokian R3 tires from America's Tire; I should have checked if California Wheels could get them. California Wheels is pretty high end. Nokian tires are hard to find in California.

I only managed to get 8600 miles out of my OEM Q4 square setup tires. I've done better with Michelen PS A/S 3+ tires.

My car developed a serious wallow when I had 300 pounds of paint in the trunk. Might you have a Becky or two in the trunk? Also, do you have the adaptive suspension? If so, does it behave better in D mode?

·
Registered
1,039 Posts
This is the first car set up where I hear such a varying degree of tire life. I might have the same Q4 set up as you, but I'm already at 16K miles showing very little tread loss, and 6 out of them were on two cross country drives, so they have seen all kinds of pavement. And I always thought I was a pretty rough driver.
I do plan to go to the Mich PS A/S 3+ tires later. Lot of you'll talk about them well.

I only managed to get 8600 miles out of my OEM Q4 square setup tires. I've done better with Michelen PS A/S 3+ tires.

·
Registered
336 Posts
Maybe there are different manufacturers of the stick on wheel weights, as sometimes my foam has wiped off with brake cleaner, and sometimes it has been tedious to get it off. And I really like my A/S3+ tires in the rain on my Quad.

And I sincerely appreciate the outpouring of condolences for the skiing death of a grandson two weeks ago. NV

·
Registered
74 Posts
The dealership says that there was too much play in the suspension so they're going to order a couple of parts (lower control arm and knuckle). It's a warranty repair. There was no talk of what may have caused this.
Glad it is being taken care of!

·
Registered
12 Posts
At least you are in close proximity of Walnut Creek Alfa.
I have my wheels done at California Wheels in Campbell. Otherwise I bring the wheels to the shop and even then America's Tire failed to remove the foam pads for the old wheel weights. I bought my winter use Nokian R3 tires from America's Tire; I should have checked if California Wheels could get them. California Wheels is pretty high end. Nokian tires are hard to find in California.

My car developed a serious wallow when I had 300 pounds of paint in the trunk. Might you have a Becky or two in the trunk? Also, do you have the adaptive suspension? If so, does it behave better in D mode?
nothing in the trunk lol.... I will have to do the "D" mode experiment

·
Registered
5,595 Posts
This is the first car set up where I hear such a varying degree of tire life. I might have the same Q4 set up as you, but I'm already at 16K miles showing very little tread loss, and 6 out of them were on two cross country drives, so they have seen all kinds of pavement. And I always thought I was a pretty rough driver.
I do plan to go to the Mich PS A/S 3+ tires later. Lot of you'll talk about them well.
I think it has more to do with the terrain than the quality of the pavement. I drive a lot on Sonora Pass Road, replete with a section that translates from Spanish as "the pigs tail" and used for this advertisement:
<yes, one has to yell "sheeeep" at that curve, every time>
<yes, I got stuck in the backup behind the film crew>

What isn't shown in the ad is that the road continues like that for about 40 miles. The grade on that section is about 16%, which also is not obvious from the pictures.

·
Registered
2018 Giulia QV
30 Posts
I recently posted about an issue I was having with the rear of my car jerking all over the place on and off load. The cause was a fair amount of hardware on the rear drivers side wheel was loose and backed itself off. The dealer had to replace some nuts, cap screws, and a suspension component which fixed it up. I’ve owned the car for about 3000 miles and when I picked it up I had the dealer swap the wheels with a new winter setup I purchased a month before buying the car. Over the course of those 3000 or so miles the rear tires went from 10/32 to 4/32 of tread. The fronts are hanging out around 10/32 to 8/32 in low spots for comparison. After they fixed the rear suspension rear tread life has not decreased (I measure it periodically now). I drive a 2018 QV.

21 - 40 of 43 Posts