Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
1,307 Posts
Came across this article.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/owne...t-the-race-track/ar-AAnxDZL?li=BBnb7Kz#page=4

I wonder how this would play out at local dealers should something happen while doing HPDE events. It's not racing, but would they deny a repair because of running it on a racetrack?
Not that I'm :wink2: saying this ... but how about just don't tell them you took it to a track? I'd more so recommend in terms of HPDE events, try finding an event organized by AR or a dealer where you get to use their cars. I own a Range Rover and could take it to Vermont and do an off-roading expedition created by Land Rover ... but instead of possibly wrecking my car, I just take one of their LR4s at the location. As an example

Also ... sorry for totally dodging your question -- hopefully someone, possibly an AR dealer employee might have more insight, it's a great question!

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
I know that Porsche organizes driving education events at different tracks. I'm sure Alfa won't frown on you if you gently track your car..... Now, if you hit something or somehow misshift, then you are on your own.....

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Your car insurance doesn't cover you or the car while you're on track.
Your car's warranty also doesn't cover things that fail while on the track.

·
Registered
38 Posts
I routinely track my cars and I know they have ways of telling whether or not you've been to the track. Having said that, I took my M4 to the track and destroyed the rotors on the front. The dealership asked how it happened and I said I was doing some spirited driving on the street, but they knew I was at the track. They specifically told me that the warranty doesn't cover tracking your car, but they did end up covering it under warranty anyway. My Porsche, on the other hand, has been tracked for years and I've never had a single issue with it.
You're taking a risk to track your car, but if you really want to enjoy them, then taking it to the track is the only way. I will definitely take my quadrifoglio to the track once I get it. At least once or twice. :wink2:

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
you can purchase insurance for one day HPDE events....not sure of the cost as I have never done so...but it may just pay...
as far as warranty work after a day at the track...well as was posted ^^^^^^ really up to the dealer and your relationship with them....but generally as it is written the answer is no....
Regards
M

·
Registered
418 Posts
Came across this article.

http://www.msn.com/en-us/autos/owne...t-the-race-track/ar-AAnxDZL?li=BBnb7Kz#page=4

I wonder how this would play out at local dealers should something happen while doing HPDE events. It's not racing, but would they deny a repair because of running it on a racetrack?
I read that article as well. Definitely a difference between HPDE event's and full out racing. It's definitely something we'll be doing/hosting in the future, probably Q3 or Q4 when we have a decent stock/sold customer volume. Dealership hosted would probably be something of an autocross. If for instance our store and the Austin store wanted to jointly host something at circuit of the america's we would likely look for corporate to provide the cars.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
I read that article as well. Definitely a difference between HPDE event's and full out racing. It's definitely something we'll be doing/hosting in the future, probably Q3 or Q4 when we have a decent stock/sold customer volume. Dealership hosted would probably be something of an autocross. If for instance our store and the Austin store wanted to jointly host something at circuit of the america's we would likely look for corporate to provide the cars.
If you ever do anything at COTA I will drive out personally and join ! LOL.

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
Just to be Clear

like the title said....IF any of these QVs actually see a track it will be for some sort of HPDE event. Your not RACING these cars in any type of true racing event for obvious reasons...they are not built as a race car...there is a BIG difference between a race car and a track car...imagine the canyon between our cars and a race car...that said...
Hooked on Driving is good outfit, if you belong to a car club PCA, BMWCCA, Merc...some active chapters have HPDE that you can join...I know that with CCA as long as you are a member your are welcome no matter the car..just sayin:D

·
Registered
418 Posts
If you ever do anything at COTA I will drive out personally and join ! LOL.
Sounds good! Down the line Alfa will want to have something that compares to the M-Performance School or Porsche's Driving School. May utilize bondurant school that hosts the SRT and Abarth driving schools.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
you can purchase insurance for one day HPDE events....not sure of the cost as I have never done so...but it may just pay...
as far as warranty work after a day at the track...well as was posted ^^^^^^ really up to the dealer and your relationship with them....but generally as it is written the answer is no....
Regards
M
Normal auto insurance doesn't cover mechanical failure. I've never investigated "track" insurance, but I suspect it also doesn't cover mechanical failure. There are companies that do offer extended mechanical warranties, and I've read a few of their policies. They don't cover "track" events either.

I've not researched track insurance, but this subject comes up often. Word is the premium for a one day event is 10% of your car. I have no idea what the deductible might be. I paid $100,000 for my 2015 4C LE (list was 73k in 2014). I tracked it, crashed it, and paid $15k out-of-pocket. How much would I have saved if I had special track insurance? This was a two day event. Three of us drove her in multiple run groups to the tune of three days worth of racing. My best guess is that in this case, the repair was less than, or equal to the insurance premium.

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
Normal auto insurance doesn't cover mechanical failure. I've never investigated "track" insurance, but I suspect it also doesn't cover mechanical failure. There are companies that do offer extended mechanical warranties, and I've read a few of their policies. They don't cover "track" events either.

I've not researched track insurance, but this subject comes up often. Word is the premium for a one day event is 10% of your car. I have no idea what the deductible might be. I paid $100,000 for my 2015 4C LE (list was 73k in 2014). I tracked it, crashed it, and paid $15k out-of-pocket. How much would I have saved if I had special track insurance? This was a two day event. Three of us drove her in multiple run groups to the tune of three days worth of racing. My best guess is that in this case, the repair was less than, or equal to the insurance premium.
HPDE track day insurance covers fender crunching it does not cover mechanical issues that may arise...at least it never did when I was at the track...granted last time I instructed was in 2010....in your case it would have paid off I'm guessing....
Haggerty writes it, another outfit I've seen was RLI if I recall...

·
Supporting Vendor
692 Posts
I've not researched track insurance, but this subject comes up often. Word is the premium for a one day event is 10% of your car.
I got track day coverage for my 1972 GTV for a few events with Lockton. I'm sure it was only a couple hundred dollars for a 1-day event, and it was pretty easy to sign up.

But here's the rub: the event you are attending needs to be registered with the insurance company. When you purchase a policy they have events listed on their site that you can choose from. This means that most open lapping days are not eligible. And if you are attending a smaller club event like an AROC track day you will probably have to ask the organizers to register before you can get the policy.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
HPDE, lapping sessions, they have their place and I'm not knocking them. We all start somewhere, as I did once. Currently, I've got about ten years track experience with multiple cars. 240z is my dedicated track car, hence my logon name. I was in the advanced Time Trial run group with open passing when I crashed my 4C. Had about eight years track time on multiple track and that was the first time I ever hit anything. The other drivers (of my 4C) were all extremely experience drivers as well. I was turning 1:41 with street tires at Willow Springs (the big track).

But my point still is, insurance premiums would have been steep. Had someone offered me full coverage insurance for just a few hundred bucks, I probably would have taken it. Clearly I should have.

·
Registered
5,020 Posts
HPDE, lapping sessions, they have their place and I'm not knocking them. We all start somewhere, as I did once. Currently, I've got about ten years track experience with multiple cars. 240z is my dedicated track car, hence my logon name. I was in the advanced Time Trial run group with open passing when I crashed my 4C. Had about eight years track time on multiple track and that was the first time I ever hit anything. The other drivers (of my 4C) were all extremely experience drivers as well. I was turning 1:41 with street tires at Willow Springs (the big track).

But my point still is, insurance premiums would have been steep. Had someone offered me full coverage insurance for just a few hundred bucks, I probably would have taken it. Clearly I should have.

@Racer Z look into RLI very interesting how they you can insure for a track day(s)....agreed value is one way and you can customize it if you have had expensive mods done to the car...

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
@Racer Z look into RLI very interesting how they you can insure for a track day(s)....agreed value is one way and you can customize it if you have had expensive mods done to the car...
Interesting. Based on the MSRP ($73,000) of my car (she was two months old when I crashed)

Deductable
10% = $502
15% = $406

My actual purchace price was $100,000 (including tax) and replacement back then would have still been the same.
631 to 688

Those figures seem to be single day, single driver.

In hindsight, it's easy to say I should have. But, would I have actually spent the extra one thousand dollars for my track weekend? Probably not.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts

Sorry to hear about your 4C.
It is true, if you track your car long enough it something is bound to happen......
Was it mechanical or driver failure?

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
Sorry to hear about your 4C.
It is true, if you track your car long enough it something is bound to happen......
Was it mechanical or driver failure?
Driver error. The back end stepped out during turn exit and I couldn't correct for it. Got off the track sideways and ended up hitting a concrete retaining wall. By this time I had scrubbed off a lot of speed, from maybe 70 mph to 40. Most of our tracks here in the desert don't have anything to hit. Just the luck of the draw I guess.

·
Registered
1,408 Posts
Driver error. The back end stepped out during turn exit and I couldn't correct for it. Got off the track sideways and ended up hitting a concrete retaining wall. By this time I had scrubbed off a lot of speed, from maybe 70 mph to 40. Most of our tracks here in the desert don't have anything to hit. Just the luck of the draw I guess.
Bummer man! When I go to tracks I make sure the tracks have plenty of room for error and I only do time attacks. It is a little bit less risky then HPDEs but the same amount of fun imho.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts