Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 52 Posts

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
after 60 minutes of track time?

Just put on my summer Corsas on, no miles on them whatsoever, 60 minutes at the track and this is what they look like........

I had to leave the car at a local shop since I couldn't drive it home in this condition....

Needless to say, I am a little disappointed......

Attachments

·
Registered
5,016 Posts
after 60 minutes of track time?

Just put on my summer Corsas on, no miles on them whatsoever, 60 minutes at the track and this is what they look like........

I had to leave the car at a local shop since I couldn't drive it home in this condition....

Needless to say, I am a little disappointed......
hard right handers???...LOL ****....even pushing hard that is ridiculous.....

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Rest of them look normal after 3 track sessions....

·
Registered
399 Posts
That’s scary glad you saw that. But that’s suppose to be a performance tire 60 min shouldn’t happen. If the others are good was the tire pressure good in that one.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
All set at similar temps.
Definitely going with a different set next time....

·
Registered
31 Posts
Did you have them heat cycled or do it yourself prior to the event? If you did 60 mins on brand new full tread tires with no heat cycling, then I would consider this user error and not a tire defect.

·
Registered
537 Posts
^Agreed, pretty important step, especially if you use the tires too much, different drivers will have much different tire wear patterns.....but no, that wear is not normal.

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,439 Posts
Were any land sharks spotted around the track?

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
ok, I wasn't there, I don't have the car, or the tires, disclaimers like crazy BUT

lime rock, isn't it six right handers one left?

yeah, overheated, and aside from all rights, low air pressure for the application - this is almost as unidirectional as nascar, and I do believe the outside tires are run at higher pressures for that.

this looks like something you might expect on an underpowered FWD car, where someone is trying to make up time braking late into the corner because they can't accelerate out of them.
I hypothesize that you are still heavy on the brakes when you should be on the gas.

of course it could have been a bad tire which just fell apart after being provoked - but if I saw that starting to happening on one tire, those are the things I'd be considering.

·
Registered
1,963 Posts
Especially at the track, tire pressure greatly influences tire performance and wear. With incorrect pressure, over-driving the tire will cause the degradation pictured, very quickly. Heat cycling makes a difference. Full tread street tires are prone to this issue (especially with a heavy car with lots of hp). As a rule of thumb, street tires on the track need more pressure than when used on the street. Just how much more is something that is learned from experience, and knowledge. Buy a bottle of white shoe polish; the liquid kind with the foam applicator on top. Mark the outside edge of the tread, on all tires, where it falls to the sidewall, in 4 places. Run a few hard laps and see where the white has worn away. If it has worn below the edge of the tread, add pressure. If it has not, lower pressure. Of course, take into consideration the rise in pressure caused by temperature increase. Keep notes. Depending on the track, and your driving style, you might end up with different pressures in all 4 tires. Dialing-in tire pressures can be tricky and time consuming. For best results, have a set of dedicated, heat cycled, track tires. They will perform better, and last longer.

·
Premium Member
2,086 Posts
He was going for the world record in tire destroying without burnouts... and won :D

Glad you made it home bud, I really appreciated my first brown trouser ride in a QV! Didn't notice anything amiss at all other than my inability to keep my ass on the seat and my ears popping when you breaked from 150ish :D Hope I didn't block the camera lol

Hope you and James can get everything fixed without hassle and get back to having fun! Would like to hear your impressions on the GT too, didn't get much of a chance to chat!

·
Registered
Tipo 33 Stradale 1/18 scale
3,738 Posts
that looks like Drop Bear damage ... they can wrap themselves and really hang on if they wanted to

we had one wrap himself on just outside of Moss Vale and they found him in the tyre well when the bloke went to check what that thumping noise was when he pulled into Canberra - nearly took the drivers head off before running into the trees again - youre lucky mate,

·
Registered
1,999 Posts

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
I can’t properly respond now as I am on the way to pick up the car ..... but I am loving all the “theories”..... lol

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
call it a theory - and you can test it by doing the same thing next time.

I'll double my usual quarter bet - if you do the same thing again, you will get the same results.

1 - 20 of 52 Posts