Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1141 - 1160 of 1167 Posts

·
Registered
Noble Italian Sportiness
2,502 Posts
It was gray (I took photos I will post later). While the windows were open, there were signs saying not to open the doors. No one I asked knew whether it was US-spec. My guess is yes. There was no license plate, but it's likely part of a test fleet. I expect to see more of them on Detroit-area streets soon.
The Charger seems a suitable home for Stellantis's new turbocharged inline six (essentially our two liter with two cylinders added and a second turbocharger).
The biggest difference maybe the drivers. Oh, and I'm referring to the difference between the Tonale and the Hornet.
I have not seen a gray one, so that very well could be a US prototype. Did they open the hood? Did it have two "gas doors" (ie gas on Passenger side, Driver side for charging)?

·
Registered
5,930 Posts
more yadda yadda yadda blah blah blah....believe it when I see it. very expensive is relative, are we talking mid six figures??? or a seven figure car?? the GTAm is apprx $160-$170k US $$$ depending on exchange rate....I don't call that very expensive on its face (not talking about value, money for car ratio). Once over the $300k US $$$ now your getting expensive...as far as selective?? will 8C owners get first dibs??

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
9,636 Posts
I have not seen a gray one, so that very well could be a US prototype. Did they open the hood? Did it have two "gas doors" (ie gas on Passenger side, Driver side for charging)?
Hood along with doors and liftgate remained shut. I did not notice a charge door. Maybe the sole door on the right rear fender houses both? I personally wouldn't want them in such proximity.

·
Registered
Noble Italian Sportiness
2,502 Posts
Hood along with doors remained shut. I did not notice a charge door. Maybe the sole door on the right rear fender houses both? I personally wouldn't want them in such proximity.
Typically it is one on each side. Here are spy shots:

Driver's side = J1772 chargeport
Passenger = Gas door (Compass is the same way)

Car Wheel Tire Vehicle Vehicle registration plate

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Automotive tire

·
Registered
9,636 Posts
Sometimes camouflage tape is used as a decoy. There was no door on the left rear fender of the Tonale I saw, and its exhaust tips were fake.

·
Registered
9,636 Posts

·
Registered
Noble Italian Sportiness
2,502 Posts
I like the silver accents on the front/side/rear bumpers for the Ti.

Based on the underbody pic, I think that is a NAFTA 2.0T ICE, as that looks to be the same rear differential as the Jeep Compass (below). The PHEV would have a charge port door (and no driveshaft), and the EDM hybrids are all FWD.

FWD EDM Tonale @ NYIAS
Tire Wheel Vehicle Hood Automotive lighting

Jeep Compass rear differential
Font Engineering Nickel Machine Metal

Tonale global powertrain options
Colorfulness Font Terrestrial plant Number Slope

·
Registered
9,636 Posts
I like the silver accents on the front/side/rear bumpers for the Ti.

Based on the underbody pic, I think that is a NAFTA 2.0T ICE, as that looks to be the same rear differential as the Jeep Compass (below). The PHEV would have a charge port door (and no driveshaft), and the EDM hybrids are all FWD.

FWD EDM Tonale @ NYIAS
View attachment 131524

Jeep Compass rear differential
View attachment 131522

Tonale global powertrain options
View attachment 131523
What transmission does the 2.0L ICE version use?

·
Registered
9,636 Posts
See the chart notes. 9 speed slush box.
I missed that on my phone's small screen; easier to spot on a laptop.

Which 9-speed? The same one found in Cherokees since 2014 and Compasses, Renegades, 200s and Pacificas since, or something new?

·
Registered
Noble Italian Sportiness
2,502 Posts

Which 9-speed? The same one found in Cherokees since 2014 and Compasses, Renegades, 200s and Pacificas since, or something new?
I will guess the same 9AT found in the Cherokee w/ 2.0T GME Hurricane.

·
Registered
2021 Ti Q4 Alfa Rosso
366 Posts
Kind of surprised given that I've seen Ghiblis more than any other Maserati, except for the Levante. But from what I've heard, the Ghibli's interior and luxury have been sorely disappointing for it's price.

·
Registered
833 Posts
I've always loved how the Ghibli looks and sounds, but the interior design looked dated the day it was released (even back in 2013) and material quality in places wasn't up to snuff for the price. It actually shocked me how Maserati thought they could get away with such blatant cost cutting in the modern age where there is so much competition in the luxury space. Offering Zegna fittings and extended leather won't mask the deficiencies.

At that price the Giulia QV is far better because it's at least world class at something.

·
Registered
9,636 Posts
I saw more Ghiblis than MC20's during this year's Woodward Dream Cruise.

Attachments

·
Registered
125 Posts

My understanding is yes it is the same steaming pile 9 speed that has been the bane of many Chrysler products since it's introduction. Yes it's been vastly improved but it is still lousy and I can't believe they spent this many years developing the Tonale and stuck that in it.

They REALLY want you to buy a hybrid variation apparently.

1141 - 1160 of 1167 Posts