Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1121 - 1140 of 1167 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
9,636 Posts
What are your thoughts on the Daytona SRT concept unveiled this week? Too large, IMO, to spawn a badge-engineered Giulia but a sign that serious thought is being given to the EV future when it comes to enthusiasts.

·
Registered
9,636 Posts
Did I miss it, do we know anything about Tonale pricing in the US.
I’m hoping to find out tomorrow when I check out the one(s) being displayed at our local dealer.

Reactions: wingler

·
Registered
Noble Italian Sportiness
2,502 Posts
What are your thoughts on the Daytona SRT concept unveiled this week? Too large, IMO, to spawn a badge-engineered Giulia but a sign that serious thought is being given to the EV future when it comes to enthusiasts.
I like it a lot. I'm not a muscle car guy, but it works for me. Obviously the straight line performance is there, but I think it proves that an EV doesn't have to look like what a lot of people fear. The platform is truly a blank slate and will allow Alessandro the opportunity to create what he wants.

·
Registered
5,932 Posts
I like it a lot. I'm not a muscle car guy, but it works for me. Obviously the straight line performance is there, but I think it proves that an EV doesn't have to look like what a lot of people fear. The platform is truly a blank slate and will allow Alessandro the opportunity to create what he wants.
please don't call this a muscle car and encourage them;), frankly Dodge shouldn't either, though I understand why they are doing it. the body design is very forward thinking and looks really good, a little too concept for my taste, but still eye catching.....but that is where it ends for myself. all this frantic push for EV cars/trucks etc in the name of reducing carbon foot print and climate change, and yet no talk of how battery production will impact those very things, especially when the TRUE battery production numbers needed for all this will make your eyes water.

·
Registered
9,636 Posts
Is it the green one from the car show? (If so, that's a European FWD model).
I have no idea what they will be showing (the email had a picture of a blue Tonale). I wanted to drive past there yesterday evening, but traffic on Woodward was stop-and-go. One thing is likely; there won't be a Hornet in sight.
I suspect that the new platform will have more flexibility than was revealed during the concept introduction. Speculating, two and four door body styles and a choice of EV or IC propulsion. I figure about a year until we find out.

Reactions: C.Q4

·
Administrator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
6,259 Posts
Giulia Type 105 = 2,156 lbs (per Wiki) and 163" Length
Giulia Type 952 = 3,360 lbs (QV per Wiki) and 182.6" Length
Tesla Model S = 4,561 lbs (per Wiki) and 195.9" Length

Dear god, the modern Giulia must be terrible due to all that unnecessary weight and size... Obviously an exaggeration, but the point is weight/power/normality is relative to the time period. The difference in weight from Type 105 to Type 952 is about the same as 952 to Model S. Suspension tuning will progress where the EVs are quicker around The Ring.
I get it, but the one thing to also note is that the 105 will take corners faster than the ~3800lb QV. (Wiki is WAY off btw, 2.0 Q4 is ~3730)... Tires are the real issue.

105 = cheap tires, pulls good G's
952 = spendy tires, pulls decent G's
Model S = spendy tires, slides sideways and shreds tires in a couple of sessions on track... and then you hope there is also a super charger nearby.

Reactions: SirRog and C.Q4

·
Administrator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
6,259 Posts
The Tesla S Plaid is 2 seconds faster around the ring with double the hp. than our 6 year old Alfa QVs.
I have never driven an EV around a track at speed/in anger, only on normal street DD driving, but I would suspect that part of the issue in putting down fast laps is how the power is put down in an EV. I don't find it as fluid as an ICE car in DD driving in modulation. Just my experience. Funny though that no other new EV Luxury performance sedan ie Audi e-tron GT is doing laps for records ;)
Font Rectangle Magenta Art Number

·
Administrator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
6,259 Posts

·
Administrator
2018 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
6,259 Posts

·
Registered
9,636 Posts
Am I the only one who is getting bored with 'Ring times?

·
Registered
Noble Italian Sportiness
2,502 Posts
I have no idea what they will be showing (the email had a picture of a blue Tonale). I wanted to drive past there yesterday evening, but traffic on Woodward was stop-and-go. One thing is likely; there won't be a Hornet in sight.

I suspect that the new platform will have more flexibility than was revealed during the concept introduction. Speculating, two and four door body styles and a choice of EV or IC propulsion. I figure about a year until we find out.
Two and four door yes. ICE, we will see. I don't think so, but I have no idea.

I get it, but the one thing to also note is that the 105 will take corners faster than the ~3800lb QV. (Wiki is WAY off btw, 2.0 Q4 is ~3730)... Tires are the real issue.

105 = cheap tires, pulls good G's
952 = spendy tires, pulls decent G's
Model S = spendy tires, slides sideways and shreds tires in a couple of sessions on track... and then you hope there is also a super charger nearby.
Yes, we are getting very heavy, but it's relative to what we are used to. I also think as time goes on, as battery energy density is increased or different materials are used, weight will come down.

·
Registered
2021 Ti Q4 Alfa Rosso
366 Posts
Of course. Again, I can't see Hornet taking away from Tonale sales. BRZ and GT86 don't hurt each other. They have their own customers. In this case, they are totally different price and buyer segments.
I'm actually curious, what's the difference between those two? They seem virtually identical to me, is it within the driving tuning?

·
Registered
Noble Italian Sportiness
2,502 Posts
So, once again AR USA stepped up to the plate and hosted an event during Monterey Car Week.

They are again at the Folktale Winery in Cali.

@MotorTrend and @AlfaRomeoUSA on Instagram have walkthrough videos

...including my man Larry saying a few words: "When I think about Alfa Romeo, we’re talking about 112 years of history of this brand. We have a dan that’s been consistent from day one. The I don’t this has deviated since day one" (@MotorTrend on IG).

Watch this: Alfa Romeo USA on Instagram: "A night like no other. Check out highlights from our #MontereyCarWeek event at @folktalewinery"

Wheel Tire Car Vehicle Vehicle registration plate
Car Vehicle Land vehicle Automotive lighting Hood

Car Wheel Tire Cloud Land vehicle
Bottle Automotive design Road surface Font Asphalt
Vehicle Vehicle registration plate Tire Car Grille

·
Registered
9,636 Posts
Is it the green one from the car show? (If so, that's a European FWD model).
It was gray (I took photos I will post later). While the windows were open, there were signs saying not to open the doors. No one I asked knew whether it was US-spec. My guess is yes. There was no license plate, but it's likely part of a test fleet. I expect to see more of them on Detroit-area streets soon.
Two and four door yes. ICE, we will see. I don't think so, but I have no idea.
The Charger seems a suitable home for Stellantis's new turbocharged inline six (essentially our two liter with two cylinders added and a second turbocharger).
I'm actually curious, what's the difference between those two? They seem virtually identical to me, is it within the driving tuning?
The biggest difference maybe the drivers. Oh, and I'm referring to the difference between the Tonale and the Hornet.

1121 - 1140 of 1167 Posts