Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
201 - 220 of 282 Posts

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,751 Posts
I grew up in the Detroit area, my father was an engineer at GM. We went to NAIAS every year, it was the most important event in town (since a Lions home playoff game has never been a thing). I'm thankful for having experienced the glory days of auto shows. They were so over-the-top back then.
Thanksgiving parade #3? Not holding my breath for an Alfa-sponsored float or balloon.

• Haha
Reactions: C.Q4

·
Registered
525 Posts
Auto shows are dead men walking. Mercedes, BMW and Audi didn't bother with LA.
Alfa was part of the FCA/Stellantis space, which was dominated by the Jeep and Ram brands, which are clearly better suited to the audience that goes to car shows.
A couple of years ago Alfa had a better presence and even showed a Tonale prototype, but seriously, there was no point this year. The attendance was sparse. The only interesting stuff is the emergence of EVs and the attendant charging technologies and companies that are coming with the new cars. My son works for Mullen and they showed a really nice new EV SUV but it will only be available in two years.
The cheeseburger at the Compass Cafe was really the highlight of the show for me, but if we didn't get comped to go the show I would not have wasted an afternoon.

Reactions: kevinpg

·
Registered
705 Posts
I can tell you this about Tesla however as one of my employee's son just got recruited by Tesla away from Merc as a Tech. Their service side, at least around here, is pretty thin..sound familiar
BTW below is my favorite Alfa marketing that was done for the launch at the NYIAS...big billboard literally across the street from the main Javits entrance...LOL
Not in southern NY. On Long Island we have Syosset, Smithtown and technically Brooklyn for service. Westchester has Mt. Kisco and White Plains. I can make an appointment via the app, it's very easy. There is some room for improvement.

·
Registered
5,122 Posts
Not in southern NY. On Long Island we have Syosset, Smithtown and technically Brooklyn for service. Westchester has Mt. Kisco and White Plains. I can make an appointment via the app, it's very easy. There is some room for improvement.
I'm in Westchester and his son will be based out of Mt. Kisco, once he finishes training in Oakland Cali.
Haven't seen many service/pick-up facilities for TESLA, but I have seen the one in Mt. Kisco next door to the hardware store.

·
Registered
580 Posts
I go to the NYIAS every year…but you are correct. A 15 minute live-streamed event, good social media and an open ordering website does a lot more to sell a new product. Elon has taught the industry a hard lesson.
It has nothing to do about Elon. Quite a number of brands realized autoshows are money-wasters and stopped showing up on many of the non-major international shows years ago, before Tesla was even a pipe dream in Elon's brain.

Reactions: kevinpg

·
Registered
705 Posts
It has nothing to do about Elon. Quite a number of brands realized autoshows are money-wasters and stopped showing up on many of the non-major international shows years ago, before Tesla was even a pipe dream in Elon's brain.
And yet they continue to spend millions at Auto Shows, which don’t drive sales. Elon pioneered automotive live-events with fans (not just press) that are live-streamed, offer ride-alongs and include online ordering. Which leads to 100s of thousands of orders.

·
Registered
225 Posts
And yet they continue to spend millions at Auto Shows, which don’t drive sales. Elon pioneered automotive live-events with fans (not just press) that are live-streamed, offer ride-alongs and include online ordering. Which leads to 100s of thousands of orders.
They wouldn't be attending these shows if there wasn't at least some ROI. The value of auto shows has greatly diminished but it isn't nil.

Tesla operates like a tech firm with some Elon cult mixed in. They play by their own rules which nobody else can.

·
Registered
7,751 Posts
Tesla displayed in Detroit for several years, if memory serves initially in the lobby.

·
Registered
7,751 Posts
Alfa Romeo royalty at NAIAS 2015 in support of the 4C.

Font Carmine Graphics Brand Logo
Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Hood
Tire Wheel Car Land vehicle Vehicle
Tire Wheel Vehicle Car Motor vehicle
Tire Car Wheel Vehicle Automotive design
Tire Car Vehicle Wheel Land vehicle
Tire Wheel Land vehicle Car Vehicle
Tire Car Wheel Land vehicle Vehicle

·
Registered
705 Posts
Tesla displayed in Detroit for several years, if memory serves initially in the lobby.
Not since 2014, I think? I’m not saying I don’t like Auto Shows, I do. I have gone to the NYIAS almost every year for two decades.

·
Registered
7,751 Posts

·
Registered
5,122 Posts
Funny thing about the Tipo 33 that was there is that it doesn't belong to Alfa Romeo LOL
Famous collector of Alfa Romeo(s) Lawence Auriana is the owner. Let them display it during the show...
That was such a cool display....
2018 was the last time I attended a NYIAS....every year it just got thinner and thinner....

·
Registered
241 Posts
Just got back from taking the Guilia to visit relatives in Manhasset. Very refreshing to see all the new Alfas on the road down there. Quite a contrast from Boston where you can easily go a couple of weeks without seeing another one. I also liked the fact that a couple of the neighbors recognized the car and came over to check it out. Here, very few people even know Alfa is still in business.

·
Registered
7,751 Posts
Just got back from taking the Guilia to visit relatives in Manhasset. Very refreshing to see all the new Alfas on the road down there. Quite a contrast from Boston where you can easily go a couple of weeks without seeing another one. I also liked the fact that a couple of the neighbors recognized the car and came over to check it out. Here, very few people even know Alfa is still in business.
Roundtrip between Detroit and Rochester, NY. Spotted one Giulia and two Stelvios. I saw more Maseratis. The most interesting vehicle seen was one of those hulking “survivalist” off-road beasts towing (no, I am not kidding) a Suzuki Samurai.

·
Registered
7,751 Posts

·
Registered
705 Posts
Yea I see Stelvios daily. Giulias are rarer but definitely around.

·
Registered
7,751 Posts
201 - 220 of 282 Posts