Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Alfa Romeo Giulia TI Sport Q2
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok, I have made a few threads here to create awareness about the issues I have with my Giulia. I have some serious issues with the tech that the dealership has, as my problems are not being solved. My car has been a total of 40 days in the shop out of the last 6 months, and I still have issues.

My question for someone with Alfa experience: I get often a CEL during cold start that says "Electronic throttle control error". Car goes in limp, and drives like crap (throttle thruly cuts out). After ten minutes or so I stop the car. let it sit, start it back up, and a CEL comes on, but the throttle issue is gone. After another ten minutes, I stop the car, let it sit for about 10 minutes, start it up, and all is good.

When the CEL comes on, DNA switch, bluetooth, and infotainment center all show issues, but when the CEL is off, all is back to normal. Dealer had it for a week, and I was guaranteed by Alfa care that they went through a complete check cycle to ensure the problem was gone. Well, this morning I started the car, and......do I need to say more?

Is there any tech that has seen this issue, and can tell me what it possibly is? Is it temperature related (It is about 30 degrees in ATL)? Is it a throttle sensor? Is it the battery?
Any info is better than what I have gotten so far from the dealer. I am bout to give the state call to get info about the lemon law, and get something else. Thruth is, I really like this car (if it has no issues)

·
Super Moderator
1,086 Posts
The car probably needs the required TSB software update for the electronic throttle error and remote start issues.

Have they updated the software? The symptoms sound strangely familiar and are documented in the TSB threads.

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The car probably needs the required TSB software update for the electronic throttle error and remote start issues.

Have they updated the software? The symptoms sound strangely familiar and are documented in the TSB threads.
They have done an update twice, the latest was from 12/2. I have no trust in their tech, so I don't know what they exactly have done. They said they "cleared" the code, but is not "solving" the problem. Needless to say, they will no longer see my car, but I will have to drive an extra 1.5hrs to see the next dealer.

·
Registered
5,122 Posts
They have done an update twice, the latest was from 12/2. I have no trust in their tech, so I don't know what they exactly have done. They said they "cleared" the code, but is not "solving" the problem. Needless to say, they will no longer see my car, but I will have to drive an extra 1.5hrs to see the next dealer.
I feel your pain....but I did the same thing...selling dealer is literally 15 minutes from me...while the dealer I service my QV is about a hour away.
Worth the time & effort for a competent dealer...

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
Ok, I have made a few threads here to create awareness about the issues I have with my Giulia. I have some serious issues with the tech that the dealership has, as my problems are not being solved. My car has been a total of 40 days in the shop out of the last 6 months, and I still have issues.

My question for someone with Alfa experience: I get often a CEL during cold start that says "Electronic throttle control error". Car goes in limp, and drives like crap (throttle thruly cuts out). After ten minutes or so I stop the car. let it sit, start it back up, and a CEL comes on, but the throttle issue is gone. After another ten minutes, I stop the car, let it sit for about 10 minutes, start it up, and all is good.

When the CEL comes on, DNA switch, bluetooth, and infotainment center all show issues, but when the CEL is off, all is back to normal. Dealer had it for a week, and I was guaranteed by Alfa care that they went through a complete check cycle to ensure the problem was gone. Well, this morning I started the car, and......do I need to say more?

Is there any tech that has seen this issue, and can tell me what it possibly is? Is it temperature related (It is about 30 degrees in ATL)? Is it a throttle sensor? Is it the battery?
Any info is better than what I have gotten so far from the dealer. I am bout to give the state call to get info about the lemon law, and get something else. Thruth is, I really like this car (if it has no issues)
You are not braking with you left foot by chance.. are you?

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,748 Posts
How else are you supposed to achieve the rated 0-60 mph performance figures without a dedicated electronic launch control program? :grin2:
Just start facing downhill.

Reactions: John_K_348

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
How else are you supposed to achieve the rated 0-60 mph performance figures without a dedicated electronic launch control program? :grin2:
I only brake with my left foot and have done a couple of aggressive launches in R mode with no issues whatsoever.......
During launch is fine. But during regular driving conditions, if there is any overlapping of brake and gas signal (say 1% brake and 30% gas, as if you are getting out of a curve) it will throw a throttle error and go in limp mode until the car is restarted.
I know you're not supposed to "ride the brake" but is pretty easy to have a minor overlapping as you are switching from brake to gas and viceversa. Non-QV giulia here

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
During launch is fine. But during regular driving conditions, if there is any overlapping of brake and gas signal (say 1% brake and 30% gas, as if you are getting out of a curve) it will throw a throttle error and go in limp mode until the car is restarted.
I know you're not supposed to "ride the brake" but is pretty easy to have a minor overlapping as you are switching from brake to gas and viceversa. Non-QV giulia here
I have heard of that and of the error displayed, but in the 1000 miles I have driven my Giulia using exclusively LFB I have never had an error or limp mode come up......... They must have fixed it in the MY18

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well, got the car back two days ago, and was told it was tested inside and out. Sadly, I start up the car yesterday and today, and the same problem occurred. So, I just keep driving it until the thing burns down I guess, because neither Alfa Romeo or the dealership has a clue.

One would think to understand that this is a safety issue. When you push the throttle, sometimes the car hardly moves, but then at other times the car spurts away. Fun when you try to pass another car or try to turn left at a stoplight.

Will ready through the TSB threads and see if I can just find someone to fix this. I am truly disappointed in both Alfa Romeo and certainly the dealership, who does not seem to car OR understand the problem.

I shut up now.

·
Registered
5,122 Posts
Well, got the car back two days ago, and was told it was tested inside and out. Sadly, I start up the car yesterday and today, and the same problem occurred. So, I just keep driving it until the thing burns down I guess, because neither Alfa Romeo or the dealership has a clue.

One would think to understand that this is a safety issue. When you push the throttle, sometimes the car hardly moves, but then at other times the car spurts away. Fun when you try to pass another car or try to turn left at a stoplight.

Will ready through the TSB threads and see if I can just find someone to fix this. I am truly disappointed in both Alfa Romeo and certainly the dealership, who does not seem to car OR understand the problem.

I shut up now.

Can you push for a buy back??? What are GA Lemon Laws??

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Can you push for a buy back??? What are GA Lemon Laws??
Yeah, by GA law I have already passed the 30 days, and looking into the safety of this throttle issue now. I hate to give up the car and I am sure this whole buy-back thing will be a headache, but something has to give. I am also still dealing with the heater box that pushing a muggy smell out the vents. Dealership said it could be water that was in the box, which makes no sense as it is a brand new box and seals. If you ask me, they just jibber jabber as they have no clue about these cars, which goes at cost of the customer trust.

It also does not help that they seem to have a part-time tech, as he never is there until 4pm.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
I think you are on to something there but it might not be the hvac box. You may have some condensation or moisture or a faulty, intermittent connection on one of your sensors or connectors. These are the hardest to deal with and are usually temperature dependent. Look for shorts along the harness if you can. This can be a headache as well but I learned the hard way on my Miata boost kit. The dealer and my trusted local shop did not solve the problem. My local shop got me close enough to find it for myself. I don't hold it against the young tech who did my sport clutch "Happy Meal" install. He was visibly frightened by electronics and his trusty boss helped me avoid an engine rebuild and narrow down the cause, getting me back home to check on my own. The smallest little short or wear in a wire can cause all kinds of problems. For me it was an injector that washed a cylinder, losing compression and running too rich, misfire. Patched the short, runs fine. Check the throttle connector, detach and re attach. Maybe add dielectric grease.

·
Registered
5,122 Posts
Yeah, by GA law I have already passed the 30 days, and looking into the safety of this throttle issue now. I hate to give up the car and I am sure this whole buy-back thing will be a headache, but something has to give. I am also still dealing with the heater box that pushing a muggy smell out the vents. Dealership said it could be water that was in the box, which makes no sense as it is a brand new box and seals. If you ask me, they just jibber jabber as they have no clue about these cars, which goes at cost of the customer trust.

It also does not help that they seem to have a part-time tech, as he never is there until 4pm.
I feel for you...believe me when I tell you I had an initial issue with my QV, the selling dealer was not competent to correct and it effected the ability to drive the car....Alfa was very responsive, asked if I wanted to do a buy back, I said yes, a third party company contacted me (as Alfa had informed me they would) whole process would take 10 days and they would come pick up the car at my home full refund including sales tax.
Just prior to starting the process, my son suggested I take the car to a Ferrari/Maserati/Alfa dealer that is well known in our area (service area is about a hour with traffic) they fixed the car in 24 hours after getting the required part overnight from Italy. They held the car for one more day to be sure.
The car has been 100% perfect since then, and she has been to the track, long round trips to Boston & Newport...
she is in now for her one year service and some RRTs that are being addressed. BTW I have not experienced the the issues the RRTs are about so I guess this is pre-emptive.
My long winded point...IF you truly like the car (when it does as it should) I suggest you go to another dealer and have it arranged through Alfa-Care through a Star Case (that is what I did). IF they don't fix it....sell it back
Best of Luck!

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #16 ·
I feel for you...believe me when I tell you I had an initial issue with my QV, the selling dealer was not competent to correct and it effected the ability to drive the car....Alfa was very responsive, asked if I wanted to do a buy back, I said yes, a third party company contacted me (as Alfa had informed me they would) whole process would take 10 days and they would come pick up the car at my home full refund including sales tax.
Just prior to starting the process, my son suggested I take the car to a Ferrari/Maserati/Alfa dealer that is well known in our area (service area is about a hour with traffic) they fixed the car in 24 hours after getting the required part overnight from Italy. They held the car for one more day to be sure.
The car has been 100% perfect since then, and she has been to the track, long round trips to Boston & Newport...
she is in now for her one year service and some RRTs that are being addressed. BTW I have not experienced the the issues the RRTs are about so I guess this is pre-emptive.
My long winded point...IF you truly like the car (when it does as it should) I suggest you go to another dealer and have it arranged through Alfa-Care through a Star Case (that is what I did). IF they don't fix it....sell it back
Best of Luck!
I had a long conversation with Alfa Care yesterday, and interestingly enough she mentioned I had the choice to go back to the same dealer again, or go to next one in their system, which is in Alabama (about 4hrs from my location). I expressed my feelings that Alfa should do a better job in fixing these things (is that not why Alfa care comes in?), she mentioned if I wanted, she would file paperwork for approval to replace the car.

There is more to the story on their end, but I rather just get either the whole car fixed, or the whole car replaced.

·
Registered
120 Posts
My god that would drive me crazy. Stories like this scare me about the brand.

·
Registered
5,122 Posts
I had a long conversation with Alfa Care yesterday, and interestingly enough she mentioned I had the choice to go back to the same dealer again, or go to next one in their system, which is in Alabama (about 4hrs from my location). I expressed my feelings that Alfa should do a better job in fixing these things (is that not why Alfa care comes in?), she mentioned if I wanted, she would file paperwork for approval to replace the car.

There is more to the story on their end, but I rather just get either the whole car fixed, or the whole car replaced.
Clearly though the dealer you have servicing the car now is not capable. Take the replacement vehicle:grin2:

·
Registered
498 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Every brand has horror stories...about the car and the dealer no-one is immune...just because your Lexus has been spot on doesn't mean someone else hasn't had issues
To be clear for anyone reading this thread; At this point I put the issue at the dealership, not the brand. As you mentioned, any brand have had issues and have recalls these days, and when you buy an Alfa in 2017, you know you take a little bit of a greater risk as the Make/Model is new in the U.S. market. What I do think is that Alfa Romeo needs to look closer at what is being done at teh dealership and their service, as that is ultimately what drives the quality of vehicles and success of ownership.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.