Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
28 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
One of the features I really hate about the "Green Approach" of car manufacturers is to stop the engine at idle, when the car is not moving.

It places a tremendous stress on the starter motor and on the battery. It is all good, of course, as it satisfies multiple goals:
- Makes the car consume apparently less gas.
- Will force you to visit the Dealer workshop to replace your battery more often.
- Will definitely engage you in replacing the starter motor after a few years of use, especially in city driving.

I know there is a button at the left/bottom of the Headlight switch that allow you to neutralize that silly feature. What would be nice is to neutralize it permanently. Is there a way to do it from the console or do you have to take your car to the Dealer and have it programmed?

Thansk
Yves

·
Registered
402 Posts
You are going to totally hate my answer. There is no way to totally disable this option (at least that you or the dealer could do). According to my dealer, the inability to totally disable this option will go away for all cars around 2020 in an attempt to improve fuel economy. I have now made it a habit, almost like a "preflight checklist," auto stop disabled, "check." Mirrors, "check." I find if I do it like this for 25 seconds, it makes the annoyance disappear.

·
Registered
147 Posts
Maybe I shouldn't complain?

Wow, you won't like this a bit, either -- I don't mind it, and would like to use it in heavy traffic (our town likes long lights), and mine doesn't work in any repeatable fashion. I have had it on with not one cut-off for over five days. It'll probably come back when I don't want it, and it'll really tick me off. Call it character, I guess.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Yeah, I know it is a PITA.

However, I give my baby Giulia a break. She has auto door locks at speed, auto day running lights and headlights, auto park on when shut down, auto mirror folding, auto seat position for both my wife and me, and so many other automatic adjustment features after ones checks the owner's manual and screen help, plus tutorial videos on YouTube ..... I finally just say OK, and besides after simply starting and checking the screen for tire psi and engine oil level I just push that little button and go. It becomes a matter of habit/second nature and it works fine. Only three little pre-flight things for me to do and then its blast off.

Take a deep breath. I think it was so they could pass the fuel consumption/pollution regs or some other government requirement.

Other than the start/stop and one more irritation I'm still working on, this is the finest automobile machine I have every owned/driven within miles of my Giulia's price. :smile2:

Reactions: Alfa 1 and Il_Conte

·
Registered
693 Posts

·
Registered
449 Posts
Nice write up JuliaQ4-nut. It is usually the ‘change management’ which is the hardest part. That, and the salesmen’s ‘management of expectations’ which leads us to comments on this and many other threads. Still is the nicest car I have driven, very much above the rest. How much above is a ymmv discussion anout what else folks have driven over the years.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts