Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
For a brief second I thought it was Hurricane. I’m not sure where I got that but that seems to be what’s in the new Wrangers.

If anyone knows please say so! Also... is there a code name for the V6tt?

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
Yeah the Alfa 2.0 is the new Hurricane also called GME (global medium engine), and it's going to be used also for Jeep and Chrysler

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
The Alfa Romeo Giulia is the Type 952.

The 2.0t is indeed the “Hurricane”, part of FCA’s new GME (Global Medium Engine) family. However, note the Alfa version of the “Hurricane” is closed deck, where the Mopar unit is open deck. What this means is that the top of the cylinder on the Alfa 2.0t has full support versus the unsupported cylinder top of the Mopar engine. This is necessary for higher compression, turbo engines, but has the disadvantage of allowing the poorest coolant flow around the top of the cylinder. It’s also a much more involved and precise manufacturing process to ensure sufficient cooling and engine clearances.

The 2.9t is only known to be part of the Ferrari F154 engine family and no “code name” is currently acknowledged.

Reactions: John_K_348

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,437 Posts
You guys sound like FCA insiders.

·
Registered
568 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
The Alfa Romeo Giulia is the Type 952.

The 2.0t is indeed the “Hurricane”, part of FCA’s new GME (Global Medium Engine) family. However, note the Alfa version of the “Hurricane” is closed deck, where the Mopar unit is open deck. What this means is that the top of the cylinder on the Alfa 2.0t has full support versus the unsupported cylinder top of the Mopar engine. This is necessary for higher compression, turbo engines, but has the disadvantage of allowing the poorest coolant flow around the top of the cylinder. It’s also a much more involved and precise manufacturing process to ensure sufficient cooling and engine clearances.

The 2.9t is only known to be part of the Ferrari F154 engine family and no “code name” is currently acknowledged.
Thanks!

·
Registered
202 Posts
The Alfa GME is open deck as well.

I don't doubt you, but I read in an automotive trade publication that the Alfa was closed deck. Was it planned that way then abandoned for some reason?

But it is interesting in the illustration that the cylinders are connected together unlike the old Alfa Nord engine where the cylinders are individual.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts

·
Registered
202 Posts
OK. This is the source for the (mis)understanding about the open vs. closed deck block. It came from allpar.com.

The engine is part of the GME (Global Medium Engine) family; Alfa Romeo’s version is already out, and produces 276 horsepower using MultiAir and two turbochargers. It has a flat torque curve of 295 lb.-ft. of torque between 2,250 – 4,500 rpm, and the turbocharger gathers exhaust from pairs of cylinders in an alternating sequence.

Alfa Romeo’s Hurricane is very different from the Chrysler version — made in a different foundry, with a closed deck versus the Mopar’s use an open deck. Chrysler tested two-stage turbocharging (illustration on right) in a Department of Energy project. Insiders say that cost will replace this system with a single twin-scroll turbocharger, small but with a high rotation speed.

·
Registered
1,818 Posts
OK. This is the source for the (mis)understanding about the open vs. closed deck block. It came from allpar.com.

The engine is part of the GME (Global Medium Engine) family; Alfa Romeo’s version is already out, and produces 276 horsepower using MultiAir and two turbochargers. It has a flat torque curve of 295 lb.-ft. of torque between 2,250 – 4,500 rpm, and the turbocharger gathers exhaust from pairs of cylinders in an alternating sequence.

Alfa Romeo’s Hurricane is very different from the Chrysler version — made in a different foundry, with a closed deck versus the Mopar’s use an open deck. Chrysler tested two-stage turbocharging (illustration on right) in a Department of Energy project. Insiders say that cost will replace this system with a single twin-scroll turbocharger, small but with a high rotation speed.
Hmm.. I'm pretty sure our 2.0 Giulias have a single, twin-scroll turbocharger.
The QV has twin turbos.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
"some interesting data, at least"

in that adult magazine photo spread of the 2.9 that was here, I believe I commented that it looked like reed valves - confirmed. makes sense.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
That is close to the source I found, but it wasn’t “allpar.com”. My info was from Automobile News, so the confusion is strong on this one.

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
Atta boy MacGeek! Always coming through with the CAD renders. And F154 family is fine with me. They never have code names. ;)

·
Registered
202 Posts
Hmm.. I'm pretty sure our 2.0 Giulias have a single, twin-scroll turbocharger.
The QV has twin turbos.
Yes, that is what it says in the last sentence. Originally it was to have 2 stage turbocharging but in the end used a single twin scroll turbo to save cost.

If MacGeek is correct they probably saved some more money on an open deck block casting.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts