Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

41 - 49 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Giulia Quadrifoglio, Vulcano Black
40 Posts
Wait, what? There's a wine country in Missouri? Get out of town...
Believe it or not, yes. I'm not going to say I like to DRINK many of the wines as they tend to the sweeter side, even the ostensibly dry reds... but the areas around the vineyards along the river do make for some lovely driving roads.

In case you are genuinely curious, I do sometimes like an occasional Missouri Norton particularly from Augusta Winery. EdgeWild has taken to planting California grapes in Missouri soil (like Cabernet) that are definitely interesting but I wouldn't normally go out of my way for them. Now, if you like sweet whites Missouri has some amazing ones that are great summer wines. Not really my cup of tea most of the time but there are times after a hot day that sitting outside with a crisp glass of Vignoles...

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
I don't have a huge amount to add to this discussion, but to agree with others here that really you have to find a reason to buy the car that's right for you. I have never owned a Lexus because honestly they have never spoken to me. Well, OK I have to admit that when I was younger I really wanted an SC400, but they were a bit out of my price range and by the time they WERE in my price range I had moved on to having had kids... and well the rest is history.

I have owned a number of BMW's including an E90 M3 with a manual... god I both loved and hated that car. I loved the driving experience, and I loved the feeling of throwing that bad boy into a corner and feeling the body rotate perfectly around the driver. But I hated the frequent and expensive visits to the gas station... I hated the normally incredible-sounding engine turning at 3500rpm at 75mph for three hours straight on the highway, loud enough to drown out the stereo... I hated the repair bills that came with having to have the top end re-done at 80K miles. It was like owning a boat; the best days in a boat owner's life is they day they buy the boat and the day they sell it. But I'm still conflicted about it to this day and have occasionally wondered if I should pick up an E90 or E92 with the DCT (taller final drive that means it runs at lower RPM at speed). However, as has been noted these cars are OLD now and some of them do have rod bearing issues that will strike without warning.

The Alfa was a bit of an "out of left field" choice for me and was honestly pretty random. I had been driving a bunch of cars and sport SUV's both... even electrics... to replace my Cadillac ATS-V. I had just about decided NOT to get the Porsche Cayman because nothing screams "Mid-Life Crisis" like a 40-something in a Cayman... and had gotten my decision down to the Jag I-Pace (electric), the Mercedes E53 AMG, and the Mercedes GLC63 AMG when I test drove a Porsche Macan S. That little SUV turned my head quite a bit and I really liked it... but as I left the showroom I realized that the Alfa / Maserati dealer right across the street might have the Quadrifoglio that I've heard so much about on YouTube channels. So over I went.

The moment I actually drove that car away from the dealership on the test drive I was blown away. This car was a decent size, but in terms of driving dynamics felt almost exactly the same as the Porsche Cayman S. Even in terms of power delivery, though the QV obviously has much more top-end than the Cayman S does. But there was more; there was a certain "something" to the way the car just seemed to respond telepathically to your every input in a way I hadn't felt since my first BMW; a 2001 BMW 330i. Modern BMW's have become too fat and numb, and even the M2 just felt too "busy" on the highway in a way that felt... I don't know... off. The QV, I can drive down the road in any of the four modes and each one is like a completely different car. I drive most of the time in Dynamic mode using the paddles for transmission control... but I have been known to take a long drive to Milwaukee from St. Louis and it was wonderful to be able to drop the car into "Abuelita" mode and just relax with the softer suspension, easy throttle control and let the ZF do its thing.

And let me say this; like many people we are stuck working from home and mostly confining ourselves to our homes. But you know what else you can do while still socially distancing? Driving. I LOVE driving my car. Sure, the stereo leaves something to be desired (though it is far better than the stereo in my E90 M3 was) and I don't have the greatest driving roads around me... but those days I can get out for a few hours and just cruise up and down the rivers or carve up the twisties through Missouri wine country remind me repeatedly why I got this car and not the others that were on my list.

And let's also be honest; the logical choices really (as logical as they go actually) were the E53 and the I-Pace. Both technological marvels, and the E53 sucked me in with that glorious straight-six soundtrack... but the QV with it's slightly lumpy-at-idle V6 just delivers when you press on the gas in an exciting and engaging way. Sure, there's turbo-lag for eons at the beginning but that vanishes in a heartbeat or two and you're left with an explosion of power and torque that gets this thing to super-legal speeds in another two heartbeats. And the thing is there's no lack of torque in any driving mode... even "A" mode with it clinging to 8th gear like a life-vest can feel like you're surfing down the face of a wave of torque that just doesn't seem to want to stop.

In RACE mode, the Italian woman comes out... she will light a fire under your bum, scream at you and then shove your face through a wall if you're not careful... and I bloody well love it. This might say more about my choice of women than the car I drive, but it fits. She's incredibly rewarding, and unbelievably unforgiving. But learn how to drive her properly and you'll find yourself able to do things with this car that you could never do in anything else.

Hmm... I think you could say I'm a fan.
The e92 m3 is literally my last resort option if I can’t afford a QV or a Lexus because ur right it looks really old and outdated. To me the Alfa hits on everything in terms of new looking,fast as hell, and you don’t see it often. Sorry for the late response works been hell 😂

·
Registered
1,281 Posts
I don't have a huge amount to add to this discussion, but to agree with others here that really you have to find a reason to buy the car that's right for you. I have never owned a Lexus because honestly they have never spoken to me. Well, OK I have to admit that when I was younger I really wanted an SC400, but they were a bit out of my price range and by the time they WERE in my price range I had moved on to having had kids... and well the rest is history.

I have owned a number of BMW's including an E90 M3 with a manual... god I both loved and hated that car. I loved the driving experience, and I loved the feeling of throwing that bad boy into a corner and feeling the body rotate perfectly around the driver. But I hated the frequent and expensive visits to the gas station... I hated the normally incredible-sounding engine turning at 3500rpm at 75mph for three hours straight on the highway, loud enough to drown out the stereo... I hated the repair bills that came with having to have the top end re-done at 80K miles. It was like owning a boat; the best days in a boat owner's life is they day they buy the boat and the day they sell it. But I'm still conflicted about it to this day and have occasionally wondered if I should pick up an E90 or E92 with the DCT (taller final drive that means it runs at lower RPM at speed). However, as has been noted these cars are OLD now and some of them do have rod bearing issues that will strike without warning.

The Alfa was a bit of an "out of left field" choice for me and was honestly pretty random. I had been driving a bunch of cars and sport SUV's both... even electrics... to replace my Cadillac ATS-V. I had just about decided NOT to get the Porsche Cayman because nothing screams "Mid-Life Crisis" like a 40-something in a Cayman... and had gotten my decision down to the Jag I-Pace (electric), the Mercedes E53 AMG, and the Mercedes GLC63 AMG when I test drove a Porsche Macan S. That little SUV turned my head quite a bit and I really liked it... but as I left the showroom I realized that the Alfa / Maserati dealer right across the street might have the Quadrifoglio that I've heard so much about on YouTube channels. So over I went.

The moment I actually drove that car away from the dealership on the test drive I was blown away. This car was a decent size, but in terms of driving dynamics felt almost exactly the same as the Porsche Cayman S. Even in terms of power delivery, though the QV obviously has much more top-end than the Cayman S does. But there was more; there was a certain "something" to the way the car just seemed to respond telepathically to your every input in a way I hadn't felt since my first BMW; a 2001 BMW 330i. Modern BMW's have become too fat and numb, and even the M2 just felt too "busy" on the highway in a way that felt... I don't know... off. The QV, I can drive down the road in any of the four modes and each one is like a completely different car. I drive most of the time in Dynamic mode using the paddles for transmission control... but I have been known to take a long drive to Milwaukee from St. Louis and it was wonderful to be able to drop the car into "Abuelita" mode and just relax with the softer suspension, easy throttle control and let the ZF do its thing.

And let me say this; like many people we are stuck working from home and mostly confining ourselves to our homes. But you know what else you can do while still socially distancing? Driving. I LOVE driving my car. Sure, the stereo leaves something to be desired (though it is far better than the stereo in my E90 M3 was) and I don't have the greatest driving roads around me... but those days I can get out for a few hours and just cruise up and down the rivers or carve up the twisties through Missouri wine country remind me repeatedly why I got this car and not the others that were on my list.

And let's also be honest; the logical choices really (as logical as they go actually) were the E53 and the I-Pace. Both technological marvels, and the E53 sucked me in with that glorious straight-six soundtrack... but the QV with it's slightly lumpy-at-idle V6 just delivers when you press on the gas in an exciting and engaging way. Sure, there's turbo-lag for eons at the beginning but that vanishes in a heartbeat or two and you're left with an explosion of power and torque that gets this thing to super-legal speeds in another two heartbeats. And the thing is there's no lack of torque in any driving mode... even "A" mode with it clinging to 8th gear like a life-vest can feel like you're surfing down the face of a wave of torque that just doesn't seem to want to stop.

In RACE mode, the Italian woman comes out... she will light a fire under your bum, scream at you and then shove your face through a wall if you're not careful... and I bloody well love it. This might say more about my choice of women than the car I drive, but it fits. She's incredibly rewarding, and unbelievably unforgiving. But learn how to drive her properly and you'll find yourself able to do things with this car that you could never do in anything else.

Hmm... I think you could say I'm a fan.
It is unfortunate that I can only give one like. If I could I would give a 510 likes to your passionately fantastic post :p :D

·
Registered
82 Posts
I've owned a dozen M cars including multiple e9x. The V8 is a masterpiece at high rev, wish it was in the QV for the perfect beast :) e9x has many expensive issues including rod bearings and a few other items, so budget a couple thousand for proactive maintenance. I think they still look great on the road, and depreciation will be minimal. There is huge demand for that generation M car. While I had no issues with my e9x M cars, my bro had a 08 335i that was a TOTAL POS. Worse than any Alfa trust me, busted all the time.

Why bother with a lemon car when for a couple thousand more get a clear title? I have my 18 up w 10k miles for ~$51k. Lemon will be a pain at to resell.

My buddy has the Lexus coupe and its not in the same league as the QV or e9x M cars. Passion, driver engagement, etc is what separates them.

good luck.

·
Registered
5 Posts
I think all modern cars are incredibly complex, especially in their "electronics." The mechanical components of cars are quite reliable (and yes, those parts do sometimes fail in all cars), but it is usually the electrical systems which fail in all new cars. And can be tedious to diagnose, and fix. On our two new cars, one an '18 QV bought new, the other a Jaguar Pace SUV, we are still learning how to use their features, and if something doesn't seem to work, if it us us or the car's electrics. On my my wife's Pace, it took several trips to the dealer to have them successfully up date the Apple Play, which on my Alfa sometimes momentarily drops out. And we can never get the foot sweep under the Jag's rear bumper to open the hatch consistently. And even reading the owner's manual, thus far cannot get the electric hatch to let us adjust how high it will rise. Us or the car?

Long decades ago, when cars were simple, they died from rust, or worn mechanical parts. Now-a-days, discarded cars will be pristine with failed electronics.

If a person wants a vehicle to run "forever", get an older pick up, they go many hundreds of thousands of miles. My brother in law's 350K mile '95 Ford 150 is rusted out, but runs fine and does what he wants it to do. Of course, no radio or working windows, and jury rigged heating, & with no AC. But goes down the road pretty as you please. Well, actually, not so pretty, but makes it there and back.

On this and other forums, you will find owners like me, who at 19K miles love their trouble-free cars, and others who leave the brand out of frustration. Years ago it was said to never own a BMW out of warranty, for instance. My son's Porsche had a failed engine, and his new Toyota Sequoia dropped a valve. As for Alfa, I suspect they are neither better or worse than other brands, and some of that is just owner luck. As for buying a "lemon-buy-back", I think the law relates to how long and many times a repair was attempted and not whether the repair was finally resolved or not. So such a car could be fixed fine for its next owner, after the former owner was just too frustrated by the time and attempts to finally fully resolve the issue.

It just took three trips to the Mini dealer to finally fix a dash warning at start up on my daughter's Mini. Turned out Mini bulbs only give the ECU an "all clear" signal with Osram bulbs, with a brass tip, not an aftermarket bulb with a silver tip. Really? A silver tip on a working bulb throws an obscure code?

My daughter just bought a new Audi Q5, and with all the incredible features of her new car, she bought a long term warranty too. Just in case....

All the best....NV

·
Registered
5 Posts
Well thought out and reflecting the challenges with this car And cars in general (complexities) I don’t have the quad but got a used 2017 2.0 loaded and in the color i love. I was about to pul the tigger on a an AWD that’s fun, aggressive, looks great. I‘m an old mustang guy but AWD ruled that out. My buddy had tons of issues with Audi (Transmission at 75k, zero support from Audi). Not much style in an Scandinavian car. Drawn to a 430 bmw after driving and so many bmws on the road, nothing distinguishable but a such great drive. Lastly, the reliability question - everyone I’m told says its not your parents fiat. A relatively newcomer in the US, but issues seem to be more minor. go with your instincts, if it feel great, looks great, go for it. I’ve been happy with mine... i know its not a quad. I don’t know the lemon rule but i know at he quad price point, probably looking for perfection. I suspect that just below perfections is still a great car If you can resolve the issue.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I cannot comment directly on the lemon part. I understand the hesitation, as well as the comments from the individuals who see no problems with the lemon part. But, I agree with Giulano above. As a prior Milano and 164 owner, it is an Alfa. I also am in close proximity to a very good dealer service department. That does it for me, but I understand that it still may represent a big jump for others. My advice, however, is to go for it. Just not 100% sure about the lemon issue versus a comparable non-lemon car. Enjoy.

·
Registered
53 Posts
Thats a GREAT deal if you like black. Low miles.
That car has all the big options like Carbon seats (not really critical to me anymore after owning one with them) and ceramic brakes. Still important to me.
I would call Century extended warranty to see if a Lemon car would be covered by their warranty program. If yes then haggle the dealer price; "ITS A LEMON !!!" ;)

As far as the quad being a "Lemon" to begin with the market has reflected this opinion in the resale pricing which makes it a great value.

My son bought a used V-8 M3 because that was what you were supposed to buy per his peer group. Not a gearhead like myself.
Also Gearheads dont buy Lexuses. Flame suit on.
I told him to mod the exhaust to get the benefit of that NA V-8's scream. Nope. IMO why bother then ?
What really bugged me was the substandard brakes of BMW's Ultimate 3 series . WTF were they thinking ? Cheap bastards.

The one "flaw" in the QV is the exhaust note. Even if you do the flap bypass mod or unessary exhaust systems you will never get the scream with a turbo engine. On the other hand you get a significant upgrade in actual performance and gas mileage.
Same thing with the Ferrari 458 vs 488.
Pick your poison; performance or sound.

Long story short;
I looked at all the competitors but LOVE the uniqueness, performance and looks of the Quad.
Buy an extended warranty from Fidelity / Century for peace of mind.

The market has wrongfully assigned Lemon status to the car because of a few duds and the disastrous Car and Driver review.

If Car and Driver gives you "Lemons" make Lemonade; You are buying a great car at a substantial discount. Be thankful.

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
^^^what he said, sometimes cars were declared lemons just because they met the repair time frame of the law, the owner was fed-up with it, and Alfa just wanted it "off the books". Hell they were ready to buy-back my MY17 after only 2 months of ownership because the selling dealer could not remedy the fix which rendered the car to run in limp mode.
brought it to a competent dealer and the car was fixed in 48 hours and has been an absolute champ!
as far as the E92 M3 comment, just an exhaust does zero for that high strung V8 except save a little weight.
IF you want screaming sound & some bump in performance, FabSpeed HFC OR the race cats into an x-pipe. the sounds like a banshee going through the gears and breathes so much better.

41 - 49 of 49 Posts