Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

21 - 40 of 49 Posts

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
❤E46 ci.
I went from a lifetime of 3xy cic's. I do miss the lovely (to my ears) sound of flat6s. I mostly miss not having a convertible. I swore at 29 to start doing convertibles to not have to start doing it at middle age as a syndrome and after that only lived with convertibles. But the Alfa, oh boy oh boy. >>> BMW anything.
E46 325ci

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #22
❤E46 ci.
I went from a lifetime of 3xy ci's. I do miss the lovely (to my ears) sound of flat6s. I mostly miss not having a convertible. I swore at 29 to start doing convertibles to not have to start doing it at middle age as a syndrome and after that only lived with convertibles. But the Alfa, oh boy oh boy. >>> BMW anything.
Ohhh I love my E46 yea it has it problems like the expansion tank cracking,valve cover gasket, oil pan gasket etc but most of it you can diy and that’s why I love the car so much. I was thinking of selling it and using it as a trade in but I just love it too much and it’s my first car so... lmao but yea amazing cars with great handling. Hopefully I get to experience this Italian beauty 😄.

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
In my (dis)honest opinion, BMW lost their soul in 2006. The Alfa is like the Dalai on steroids. It keeps being reborn. And the Giulia/Stelvio are absolutely so completely out of the left field for a company that has seemingly had nothing left to give just 10 years back, it's just insanely remarkably insane. It may not be the most exotic or most remarkable platform on the planet, but in my limited personal opinion, there is absolutely no vehicle out there that matches the performance/price, pizzaz/price, personality/price, beauty/price, soul/price, driveability/price, handling/price of the Giulia, both in its 2.0L or 2.9L formats.
I am biased.

·
Registered
2018 Giulia Quadrifoglio
174 Posts
Okay so I got a question for all the quad owners, so I’ve been really considering buying this car and it’s between this, a bmw e92 m3 or Lexus rcf or gsf. The car checks all the boxes for me it’s newer, it’s fast as hell, and I can find with with low miles for a decent price. So the thing that’s been bothering me is most the ones I see the titles are “Lemon” and that’s what stopping me from really pulling the trigger. I’ve also saw other posts of people saying the reliability isn’t good. But I feel like that’s because some people beat the hell out of it, I hope that’s the reason why. But should I risk buying one with a lemon title? What are your thoughts.
I wouldn’t buy a lemon. Buy lightly used. I bought my quad with less than 3k on odo and now I’m at 13000 with no issues and I track it every quarter. Try to find one with Sparco seats and enjoy!

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #25
In my (dis)honest opinion, BMW lost their soul in 2006. The Alfa is like the Dalai on steroids. It keeps being reborn. And the Giulia/Stelvio are absolutely so completely out of the left field for a company that has seemingly had nothing left to give just 10 years back, it's just insanely remarkably insane. It may not be the most exotic or most remarkable platform on the planet, but in my limited personal opinion, there is absolutely no vehicle out there that matches the performance/price, pizzaz/price, personality/price, beauty/price, soul/price, driveability/price, handling/price of the Giulia, both in its 2.0L or 2.9L formats.
I am biased.
How are the Harman kardon speakers in the QV compared to the bmw?

·
Registered
1,663 Posts
The reality is, they are okay, in any application.

In my continuing (dis)honest opinion...

Actually more like, to my ears all Harmon Kardon systems sound tin-pot-ish. BMW E46 cic I had suffered from the fact that it had a soft top, so I can't even give a real comparison. My subsequent cic's had hard tops, but still, they were too imbalanced in my opinion. The sound system on the ARG is also not anything special to write home about.

But I blame this on the fact that I'm a Denon-fan-boy, so hating Harmon is in my genes. But Denon makes nothing for the car market, so I'm stuck with lame ass sound products in my mediocre budget.

Disclaimer: Denon and my other #1 favorite Definitive are now part of a company called Sound United, whereas I believe Harmon Kardon was acquired by Samsux.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
The reality is, they are okay, in any application.

In my continuing (dis)honest opinion...

Actually more like, to my ears all Harmon Kardon systems sound tin-pot-ish. BMW E46 cic I had suffered from the fact that it had a soft top, so I can't even give a real comparison. My subsequent cic's had hard tops, but still, they were too imbalanced in my opinion. The sound system on the ARG is also not anything special to write home about.

But I blame this on the fact that I'm a denon-fan-boy, so hating Harmon is in my genes. But denon makes nothing for the car market, so I'm stuck with lame ass sound products in my mediocre budget.
If you could upgrade it what would you recommend?

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
Okay so I got a question for all the quad owners, so I’ve been really considering buying this car and it’s between this, a bmw e92 m3 or Lexus rcf or gsf. The car checks all the boxes for me it’s newer, it’s fast as hell, and I can find with with low miles for a decent price. So the thing that’s been bothering me is most the ones I see the titles are “Lemon” and that’s what stopping me from really pulling the trigger. I’ve also saw other posts of people saying the reliability isn’t good. But I feel like that’s because some people beat the hell out of it, I hope that’s the reason why. But should I risk buying one with a lemon title? What are your thoughts.
I beat the hell out of mine at the track and besides needing new rotors and pads (covered by Alfa Romeo) and tires, the car is still a monster with no issues at all.......
If you buy any lemon you got to be able to handle the lemonade...... but that goes with anything else in life.....
The QV is phenomenal no matter what any Alfa basher out there says.......good luck in your search.

·
Registered
10 Posts
Discussion Starter #30
I beat the hell out of mine at the track and besides needing new rotors and pads (covered by Alfa Romeo) and tires, the car is still a monster with no issues at all.......
If you buy any lemon you got to be able to handle the lemonade...... but that goes with anything else in life.....
The QV is phenomenal no matter what any Alfa basher out there says.......good luck in your search.
Thanks! 😁

·
Registered
4,244 Posts
Thanks! 😁
to say that @BostonDMD beat the hell out of his at LRP is a mild understatement!...LOL only guy on this forum who drove/drives his car harder is @Call me Al (his is nicely modded though).
the QV is an absolute beast at the track, have to get used to things (sharp steering input, brake-by-wire, shifting pattern) but once you do it is very rewarding.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
How did you manage to get new rotors and pads covered by Alfa Romeo?.

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
They have a 12k miles/1 year warranty in the US.
Is it the rotors/pads tear and wear covered in that 12K miles / 1 year warranty? I assumed that the "... needing new rotors and pads ..." was due use not to failures.

·
Registered
66 Posts
I got a 2018 ti as a daily driver without a test drive. It was new and it had won the car of the year award. It replaced my BMW. I had been driving BMWs, like a lot of people here, for years. But, the newer models felt like Lexus and without the soul of a BMW. I also had a 2006 911 that I loved. Looked at replacing that but they new ones feel like BMWs which feel like Lexus; at least to me. The more I drove the ti the more I connected to the car. It had the "soul" I was missing. That car has been wonderful. So much so I went and replaced the 911 with a Quad.

·
Registered
2,321 Posts
How did you manage to get new rotors and pads covered by Alfa Romeo?.
I asked the same question to the the tech who had spoked to AR, they asked him if the car was modded in any way, he said no, AR covered pads and rotors no questions asked.......

Of course I had to buy new tires, but that's a different story......

·
Registered
1,045 Posts
I asked the same question to the the tech who had spoked to AR, they asked him if the car was modded in any way, he said no, AR covered pads and rotors no questions asked.......

Of course I had to buy new tires, but that's a different story......
Interesting.

·
Registered
2018 Giulia Quadrifoglio, Vulcano Black
40 Posts
I don't have a huge amount to add to this discussion, but to agree with others here that really you have to find a reason to buy the car that's right for you. I have never owned a Lexus because honestly they have never spoken to me. Well, OK I have to admit that when I was younger I really wanted an SC400, but they were a bit out of my price range and by the time they WERE in my price range I had moved on to having had kids... and well the rest is history.

I have owned a number of BMW's including an E90 M3 with a manual... god I both loved and hated that car. I loved the driving experience, and I loved the feeling of throwing that bad boy into a corner and feeling the body rotate perfectly around the driver. But I hated the frequent and expensive visits to the gas station... I hated the normally incredible-sounding engine turning at 3500rpm at 75mph for three hours straight on the highway, loud enough to drown out the stereo... I hated the repair bills that came with having to have the top end re-done at 80K miles. It was like owning a boat; the best days in a boat owner's life is they day they buy the boat and the day they sell it. But I'm still conflicted about it to this day and have occasionally wondered if I should pick up an E90 or E92 with the DCT (taller final drive that means it runs at lower RPM at speed). However, as has been noted these cars are OLD now and some of them do have rod bearing issues that will strike without warning.

The Alfa was a bit of an "out of left field" choice for me and was honestly pretty random. I had been driving a bunch of cars and sport SUV's both... even electrics... to replace my Cadillac ATS-V. I had just about decided NOT to get the Porsche Cayman because nothing screams "Mid-Life Crisis" like a 40-something in a Cayman... and had gotten my decision down to the Jag I-Pace (electric), the Mercedes E53 AMG, and the Mercedes GLC63 AMG when I test drove a Porsche Macan S. That little SUV turned my head quite a bit and I really liked it... but as I left the showroom I realized that the Alfa / Maserati dealer right across the street might have the Quadrifoglio that I've heard so much about on YouTube channels. So over I went.

The moment I actually drove that car away from the dealership on the test drive I was blown away. This car was a decent size, but in terms of driving dynamics felt almost exactly the same as the Porsche Cayman S. Even in terms of power delivery, though the QV obviously has much more top-end than the Cayman S does. But there was more; there was a certain "something" to the way the car just seemed to respond telepathically to your every input in a way I hadn't felt since my first BMW; a 2001 BMW 330i. Modern BMW's have become too fat and numb, and even the M2 just felt too "busy" on the highway in a way that felt... I don't know... off. The QV, I can drive down the road in any of the four modes and each one is like a completely different car. I drive most of the time in Dynamic mode using the paddles for transmission control... but I have been known to take a long drive to Milwaukee from St. Louis and it was wonderful to be able to drop the car into "Abuelita" mode and just relax with the softer suspension, easy throttle control and let the ZF do its thing.

And let me say this; like many people we are stuck working from home and mostly confining ourselves to our homes. But you know what else you can do while still socially distancing? Driving. I LOVE driving my car. Sure, the stereo leaves something to be desired (though it is far better than the stereo in my E90 M3 was) and I don't have the greatest driving roads around me... but those days I can get out for a few hours and just cruise up and down the rivers or carve up the twisties through Missouri wine country remind me repeatedly why I got this car and not the others that were on my list.

And let's also be honest; the logical choices really (as logical as they go actually) were the E53 and the I-Pace. Both technological marvels, and the E53 sucked me in with that glorious straight-six soundtrack... but the QV with it's slightly lumpy-at-idle V6 just delivers when you press on the gas in an exciting and engaging way. Sure, there's turbo-lag for eons at the beginning but that vanishes in a heartbeat or two and you're left with an explosion of power and torque that gets this thing to super-legal speeds in another two heartbeats. And the thing is there's no lack of torque in any driving mode... even "A" mode with it clinging to 8th gear like a life-vest can feel like you're surfing down the face of a wave of torque that just doesn't seem to want to stop.

In RACE mode, the Italian woman comes out... she will light a fire under your bum, scream at you and then shove your face through a wall if you're not careful... and I bloody well love it. This might say more about my choice of women than the car I drive, but it fits. She's incredibly rewarding, and unbelievably unforgiving. But learn how to drive her properly and you'll find yourself able to do things with this car that you could never do in anything else.

Hmm... I think you could say I'm a fan.

21 - 40 of 49 Posts