Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
1,506 Posts
Any car is prone to chips. Yes, I added the clear bra, actually the "track package". It consists of front bumper, fenders, hood mirrors, door handle cups and door edges.

·
Registered
1,775 Posts
Alfa put a good quality paint on these; it's not tissue-paper thin like some cars, but the entire front is vulnerable just like alfa55 says. I got the ppf put on the entire front, fenders, hood, back of the side mirrors, all 4 doors and door handle cups. If any of your daily driving is on a freeway, the higher speeds guarantee you'll get tiny pin-hole pits in the paint unless you do something to protect it.

·
Super Moderator
1,086 Posts
The paint on the front clip of these cars is prone to chipping. If you buy new, my advice would be to get paint protection film installed on the front end, mirrors and so forth as soon as you pick up the car. I drove mine to the PPF facility and in doing so managed to get one stone chip in less than 100 miles.

The PPF is an amazing product. It cleans easily. Does not scratch easily and can be maintained like regular paint. Best to use an experienced installer that has been in business for quite some time and has a shop set up specifically for PPF installation. The cleanliness of the installation leads to the ultimate durability of the application. Any dirt that is trapped between the paint and film leads to less adhesion and discoloration.

The reallly high-end shops will include "paint correction" in their PPF installation. This raises the price significantly. Though, it is a must-do to ensure longevity and optical clarity. The "New" paint of the Giulia line-up is very good. However, imperfections and transport dirt is common in any car. Claybar, light buffing and final cleanse with solvent-free non-resident cleaner is also prudent.

You can do the paint correction yourself if you're used to doing detailing work. The key is to have a super smooth surface that is virtually perfect in preparation for the film application.

The 2 main manufacturers are Xpel and SunTek. Can't go wrong with either. I've been an Xpel fan for years and years and have not had any issues. :)

Reactions: efl

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
I probably overdid it, but I did a fulll wrap and Cquartz since I’m intending to keep my QV for a long time.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,671 Posts
I probably overdid it, but I did a fulll wrap and Cquartz since I’m intending to keep my QV for a long time.
My mechanic/consultant tells me that this is the only way to go if you plan to keep the car long term. Over time the PPF covered paint and the non-PPF covered paint will fade differently. When you decide it's time to remove and/or replace the PPF you end up with a two tone car unless the entire car was covered with PPF.

Also, PPF needs to be replaced before it turns hard. The less popular today 3M vinyl films certainly have this problem. Hopefully the Xpel polyurethane film will not. If the film is allowed to turn hard (8-10 years in the future) it will be a nightmare to remove.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Alfa put a good quality paint on these; it's not tissue-paper thin like some cars, but the entire front is vulnerable just like alfa55 says. I got the ppf put on the entire front, fenders, hood, back of the side mirrors, all 4 doors and door handle cups. If any of your daily driving is on a freeway, the higher speeds guarantee you'll get tiny pin-hole pits in the paint unless you do something to protect it.
Yup learend the hard way on a trip to flordia and back this past week. But my service guys are (they are freaking awesome and phonemonal...so glad I choose them to service my vehicle) is great and is going to get me takee care of and the little nicks and chips fixed up and my bumper repainted. I'm going to then get it wrapped. Hopefully will get this done in the next three weeks!

She will be perfect by April.

·
Registered
1,308 Posts
I think for QV’s you need to do the cf splitter and rockers no matter what. The splitter is low on the leading edge of the car, gets lower at speed, and unlike the rest of the front cap is very hard with zero give. The cf side rockers are all too easy to scuff with your shoes getting in and out, they really stick out a fair bit. That said I had a full front end, mirrors, the rockers, B pillar black trim, rear lower arches and trunk bumper lip and cQuartz over everything including wheels and calipers. If you have bright colored calipers ceramic coating on them is a real cleaning time saver...

·
Registered
148 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
I have Xpel on my Porsche and F-car and it is amazing. My detailer is in the same complex as my tint/film guy. I'll get the paint looked at before I get the work done.

cQuartz I'm not familiar with. Is it a coating that has weight to it?

Thanks!

·
Registered
83 Posts
I've been thinking about it, but since I am going to lease mine I am going to go without, and not tailgate anyone. If I were to keep long term I'd do at least the front bumper

1 - 10 of 10 Posts