Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 17 of 17 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Vulcano Black Giulia Quadrifoglio
4,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I noticed today that with the e-brake on, if I press the gas that the e brake disengages. Is that safe for the car? I felt almost a clicking sound as if I shouldn't be doing that and instead sound be disengaging manually

·
Registered
4,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
It just felt like I was grinding something. Made me not want to try it again after 2 times

·
Registered
1,569 Posts
IF you were hearing grinding sounds you should definitely have it checked....I always disengage it with the button but on occasions I forget it release smoothly...

How does you hill assistance behave? Same grinding or smooth release? It is basicaly same thing as E brake

·
Registered
315 Posts
I noticed today that with the e-brake on, if I press the gas that the e brake disengages. Is that safe for the car? I felt almost a clicking sound as if I shouldn't be doing that and instead sound be disengaging manually
The e brake is supposed to disengage when gas pedal is pressed. There will be a slight mechanical lag as the e brake releases as the car starts moving, which is probably the sound you are hearing.

While this is how this this works, I would probably not encourage using this method of disengaging the e brake on a regular basis.

·
Registered
315 Posts
IF you were hearing grinding sounds you should definitely have it checked....I always disengage it with the button but on occasions I forget it release smoothly...

How does you hill assistance behave? Same grinding or smooth release? It is basicaly same thing as E brake
I believe the hill start assist feature uses the regular brakes, not the parking brake (separate caliper).

·
Registered
4,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Never tried hill start.

There certainly was lag and a mechanical sound. Don't think I'm going try it again unless I forget to manually disengage

·
Registered
765 Posts
I use hill start every day. There is a momentary lag as it disengages when you press the throttle. It also disengages a few seconds after you release the brake. No grinding though. It is a useful feature if you are in a hilly area. Instead of not using it you should have your service department look at it next time you have the car in for service.

·
Registered
1,999 Posts
Normal function is for the eBrake to release if:

1) Drivers seatbelt is buckled.
2) Shifter is placed in “D” or “R”
3) Any throttle pressure is applied

You can also apply the eBrake at a traffic light, and it will auto release with throttle pressure.

·
Registered
443 Posts
Yes. Remember the e-brake's purpose is to keep a PARKED vehicle stopped in the event of parking pawl failure in an automatic transmission (or jumping out of gear in a manual).

·
Registered
4,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Normal function is for the eBrake to release if:

1) Drivers seatbelt is buckled.
2) Shifter is placed in “D” or “R”
3) Any throttle pressure is applied

You can also apply the eBrake at a traffic light, and it will auto release with throttle pressure.
Is it any of the 3 or all 3?

·
Registered
4,428 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
You can disable this in using the infotainment center in setup mode. My parking brake only engages when I tell it to, and only disengages when I tell it to.

I think hill start can also be disabled as well. I know mine is enabled, but most of our roads are flat. I'm sure it's worked a few times, but not with any issues. The hill start in my 4C isn't as smooth and I defiantly can feel it working, but only when it actually needs to work.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,734 Posts
You can disable this in using the infotainment center in setup mode. My parking brake only engages when I tell it to, and only disengages when I tell it to.

I think hill start can also be disabled as well. I know mine is enabled, but most of our roads are flat. I'm sure it's worked a few times, but not with any issues. The hill start in my 4C isn't as smooth and I defiantly can feel it working, but only when it actually needs to work.
I do not see any hill start assist configuration item on my car. Maybe I missed it...

Anyway, what exactly is hill start assist supposed to help with in a car with a slush box? Just 2 foot the pedals and take off. I don't like the "pop" it makes as it disengages.

·
Registered
2,988 Posts
I do not see any hill start assist configuration item on my car. Maybe I missed it...

Anyway, what exactly is hill start assist supposed to help with in a car with a slush box? Just 2 foot the pedals and take off. I don't like the "pop" it makes as it disengages.
It may not have a hill start enable/disable. I can't recall. There are some minor differences between 2017 & 2018 models, 2019 will see some minor changes as well.

Most drivers/car owners are not 'into' their cars. They just drive, and leave it at that. This means they use one foot, and never think to two-foot-it on a hill. The hill start is for all those other people.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,734 Posts
It may not have a hill start enable/disable. I can't recall. There are some minor differences between 2017 & 2018 models, 2019 will see some minor changes as well.

Most drivers/car owners are not 'into' their cars. They just drive, and leave it at that. This means they use one foot, and never think to two-foot-it on a hill. The hill start is for all those other people.
Like the person in the in Lexus front of me 3 weeks ago at a stop light? He was slowly rolling back down the hill at me. I blast horn--nothing. I take my foot off my brake, nothing--hill start engaged. I try to get it into neutral, nothing--oops gotta have a foot on the brake (btw, Giulia takes her own sweet time deciding that you have a foot on the brake in this regard). It's a good thing the Lexus driver finally woke up (after 5 seconds of me yelling "don't smash my grill") and applied his brakes.

If you want to see Giulia get seriously and inconveniently confused btw, try leaving auto start-stop on and then pop the transmission into neutral (to make a smoother stop) as you approach the stop.

1 - 17 of 17 Posts