Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner

Is the 2018 Giulia model going to be more reliable?

1 - 20 of 34 Posts

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What are you thoughts?

Has Alfa Romeo learned anything from the issues of the MY17?

·
Registered
56 Posts
How in the world do I know, my crystal ball is out of order. Some here seem to think all is well and no improvement in reliability is necessary. Silly them.

Paul

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Vote and be counted.......
commentary is just an added bonus but not a substitute for a vote......>:)

·
Registered
94 Posts
As someone who almost bought a '17, but decided not to because of the various running issues, I hope so! But who knows.

My sense from the owners' reports on here is that a lot of Giulias are fine, some that weren't have been fixed by the software flash, and others are still experiencing stalling/engine cutting out, etc.

Btw, I hope I am wrong about the latter.

Since we seem to trade in anecdotes on here, a friend of mine got a base Giulia this summer. He's done 2400 trouble free miles so far, including a recent 1200 mile road trip.

If you really want a Giulia, I'd take a risk on a '17, maybe when the '18s are in and dealers are willing to deal.

·
Registered
869 Posts
The answer is of course! They will fix the issues us early adopters found in the MY17 cars. They will then suffer their own issues which will be fixed in MY19. Then the MY20 cars will be refreshed and get a new host of issues. I have total faith in all of that ;)

·
Registered
2017 Alfa Romeo Giulia Quadrifoglio
953 Posts
These cars have been running in Europe since 2016 and the issues still plagued 2017 models. Probably same will apply for 2018.

·
Registered
526 Posts
These cars have been running in Europe since 2016 and the issues still plagued 2017 models. Probably same will apply for 2018.
My guess, and its only that, is there is a big difference between the European and USA models due to increased usage of electronics on the USA models. I bet you can buy a pretty basic model in Europe and perhaps not even some of the features we get over here.

Thoughts?

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
My guess, and its only that, is there is a big difference between the European and USA models due to increased usage of electronics on the USA models. I bet you can buy a pretty basic model in Europe and perhaps not even some of the features we get over here.

Thoughts?
I tend to agree with you......

·
Registered
953 Posts
The major issues people are having is with the stalling of the engine which has plagued the 2.0 T and the 2.9TT engines. Would you consider there being major electronic differences between US and European specs for the electronics running the engine?

·
Registered
3,600 Posts
No, I would say software and sensor, pedal related. The timing on the both pedals fault was not set high enough or at all. Launch mode works at a dead stop, rolling is where the problems arise, plus other pure gremlins.

·
Registered
526 Posts
The major issues people are having is with the stalling of the engine which has plagued the 2.0 T and the 2.9TT engines. Would you consider there being major electronic differences between US and European specs for the electronics running the engine?
Yes I would, Adaptive cruise control, Start/Stop feature, Remote Start + I'm sure there are others.

·
Registered
1,964 Posts
No, I would say software and sensor, pedal related. The timing on the both pedals fault was not set high enough or at all. Launch mode works at a dead stop, rolling is where the problems arise, plus other pure gremlins.
I waited for the MY2018 before I pulled the trigger and ordered a Ti.
Keeping my fingers crossed.

Reactions: John_K_348

·
Registered
953 Posts
Yes I would, Adaptive cruise control, Start/Stop feature, Remote Start + I'm sure there are others.
yes those are features. I am talking about the electronics that simply keep the motor running. Those bugs should have been squashed by the 2017 model year. I bought the car because although its the first model year in the states, the car had been on the streets since 2016 so i felt confident. Thankfully, a series of ECU flashes and updates have all but rectified the stalling issue. Although I am still dealing with my persistent AC issue. I will be giving ALFA two more tries to get the AC working normally before I threaten lemon law.

·
Registered
94 Posts
As someone who almost bought a '17, but decided not to because of the various running issues, I hope so! But who knows.

My sense from the owners' reports on here is that a lot of Giulias are fine, some that weren't have been fixed by the software flash, and others are still experiencing stalling/engine cutting out, etc.

Btw, I hope I am wrong about the latter.

Since we seem to trade in anecdotes on here, a friend of mine got a base Giulia this summer. He's done 2400 trouble free miles so far, including a recent 1200 mile road trip.

If you really want a Giulia, I'd take a risk on a '17, maybe when the '18s are in and dealers are willing to deal.
I'd do it all over again! Even with the faults.

·
Registered
2,344 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Psychologically I just feel better ordering a MY18, but that's just me.....
I'm sure nothing will be different from MY17....

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
need a 4th category....MY GIULIA IS BULLETPROOF ....CAN'T BE ANY BETTER !!! :laugh:

Reactions: MakeitRain

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
PLAGUED ??? Once again, on this Forum we suffer from "Referral Filter Bias"....Meaning those with problems voice them (the major minority) while those who roll, don't even know this forum exists (the MAJOR MAJORITY).....D :grin2:

1 - 20 of 34 Posts