Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 50 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am contemplating buying a 2017 Giulia TI RWD (Dealer is discounting deep to move the 2017 inventory out). My question: Doe s the RWD have and significant performance difference from AWD outside of poor weather (rain/snow)? Is there any noticeable difference in the fun of the drive?

·
Registered
2,577 Posts
Outside of poor weather, no, I do not think there is a significant performance difference. They're both a blast to drive. AWD adds 111 lbs to curb weight.
Get the performance package if you can.
I was going to get an AWD Ti before we landed on a QV instead. Most of the folks on this sight told me it did not since I had the same question. The AWD I don't believe you can control so most of the time you are using 2 wheels except when the computer senses it. In my test drives I honestly did not notice a difference.

·
Registered
2018 Ti Sport Q2
1,256 Posts
I'm not very knowledgeable on this topic, but i see the fact that the QV is only available in RWD(i think?) as a sign that for better performance/fun, RWD is the way to go? From my understanding, AWD is primarily for bad weather conditions.

·
Registered
1,845 Posts
I'm not very knowledgeable on this topic, but i see the fact that the QV is only available in RWD(i think?) as a sign that for better performance/fun, RWD is the way to go? From my understanding, AWD is primarily for bad weather conditions.
That was more true 20 years ago than today. It's a complex topic with many variables, but if we just consider the Giulia the facts that
1. the bias on the AWD is mostly rear as conditions allow
2. the weight difference is not huge (111 lbs more for the awd)
3. the nannies kill all the tail happy fun potential on the rwd (hence why the QV has a race mode)

I would say the difference is little. The slightly nimbler performance in rwd may be countered by the extra traction on the awd.

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,930 Posts
The 2.0T Q4 has better 0 to 60 times than the 2.0T RWD. By putting power to all 4 wheels it gets more traction and can "get off the line" better.

Q4 gets a little worse fuel economy than the RWD. QV gets a lot worse fuel economy than the RWD. Given the 15.3 gallon fuel tank this can become an issue for long drives.

QV is also a lot more expensive both to buy and to maintain than any of the 2.0T versions.

Q4 sits a little higher than the others. If that is good or bad depends on where you drive and your aesthetic sensibilities.

·
Registered
3,313 Posts
"the nannies kill all the tail happy fun"
with Q4, the first nanny is transferring "excess" power to the front, so the other nannies come into play a little later.
so probably a little fast out of a corner - if you are going fast enough to make the nannies notice.

·
Registered
253 Posts
You're gonna be about a half second quicker from 0 to 60 in the AWD, but as far as dry-weather performance goes, that's probably gonna be the only noticeable difference. I've heard some people claim the AWD feels quicker out of corners but I can't verify that for myself.

·
Registered
4,507 Posts
For normal people driving on normal roads with a normal fear of getting pulled over by the police, I can’t see why RWD wouldn’t be perfectly adequate. I get frustrated that I can’t drive mine harder without getting myself in trouble, can’t imagine what I’d do with more of anything (power, traction, acceleration, top speed, etc).

·
Registered
2018 Q4 with Fiamenghi Ti exhaust, Race Mod, and Tecnico wheels.
7,930 Posts
Can you go sideways in either configuration? (non QV models)
No drifting in a 2.0T Giulia unless you can figure out one of the unofficial methods of disabling traction and vehicle stability control. Any car can get sideways simply by suddenly turning the steering hard enough.

·
Vendor
1,206 Posts
Can you go sideways in either configuration? (non QV models)
Assuming that the traction and stability controls are disabled somehow then yes. It is possible to slide a AWD and RWD model vehicle. However it is much more difficult when you have AWD and when it does happen it is generally not the long smooth drifting that you would see from something like Formual D vehicles. If you google Gymkhana and Ken Block, in those videos Ken is using various AWD vehicles. Believe the latest one was a custom built 845HP Ford Mustang in Gymkhana 7.

·
Registered
647 Posts
For normal people driving on normal roads with a normal fear of getting pulled over by the police, I can’t see why RWD wouldn’t be perfectly adequate. I get frustrated that I can’t drive mine harder without getting myself in trouble, can’t imagine what I’d do with more of anything (power, traction, acceleration, top speed, etc).
Some of us are not normal. That 0.6 seconds faster 0-60 mph with my AWD just might allow me to outrun the local fuzz! :laugh:

Reactions: lost1750GTV
1 - 20 of 50 Posts