Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Tonight I was driving and some jerk in I think it was a four door Scion tried to pass me on the left . He got a jump on me , He probably had at least a two second advantage on hitting the throttle be me, but to my Chagrin we had got up to around 40 miles an hour , and I was neck and neck with him. I was in drive , so I thought maybe the gearbox didn’t jump down to first gear, only stayed in second, and my Car was In D mode , and I have the madness pedal booster , has anyone had a similar experience with trying to pass somebody at around 30 mph, and can’t pull on a car that has well at least half the HP? Please let me know your experiences.

·
Registered
2020 Giulia
702 Posts
Madness pedal only helps with throttle response (cutting out turbo lag). Dynamic mode remaps shift points and keeps you in a lower gear longer…….. it makes the car more sporty than N mode, but it isn’t suddenly a race car. I’ve found D doesn’t shift down to lowest available gear still shifts earlier than I would. Even after driving around a lot in D, I surprise myself with how quick the car is when I’m controlling the gears. If you’re on a track and racing, “manual” mode is the way to go.

I’m very partial to go-fast machines with proper clutches so I am biased, but that’s my two cents. I look at D mode as a sportier daily driver mode.

Reactions: C.Q4

·
Registered
2020 Alfa Romeo Giulia Sport Ti AWD
7,478 Posts
Did you floor it or ease into the accelerator pedal?

Reactions: C.Q4

·
Registered
56 Posts
You did not mention your RPM level at that speed !!
If your below 2,000 RPM you won't get the rite Nm you looking for

·
Registered
515 Posts
Are you sure it was a Scion? 4 door Scions looked like cubes or big hatchbacks.

I mean, anything can be modified, and the Giulia 2.0 isn't really a quick car. Throttle mapping just changes the responsiveness (amount of pedal travel required, example 50% travel = floored normally), it does not give you more maximum hp/tq/psi.

What gear were you in? These are turbos, you can't be in a high gear (low RPM) and expect a ton of thrust. There is turbo lag. Did you launch the car? Did you floor it the whole time? A lot of variables, including, what the other car was/is putting down.

·
Registered
2020 Giulia QV
61 Posts
Did the "Scion" look like this? I know a few people seem to mistake Stingers for Scions for some reason, and they have 300 - 368 hp. It would make sense in context. Really you can get around 300 hp from a stock Camry, Sonata, K5, and a few other somewhat mundane looking cars at this point. While stoplight racing is bad, at least you looked better doing it.

·
Registered
850 Posts
years ago, when I had a 500+ HP Superformance 427 Cobra, I had immense low rpm torque, but my stoked engine was out of breath at 5K rpm. Sometimes, I would come alongside some turbo car of the era, and we would give it a go from some highway speed, say 60 or 70 mph. With my instant torque, I would leap out for just maybe two seconds, and then ease up off my throttle while the turbo car was waiting for his turbo to spool up. If a turbo car isn't "spooled up" it is dead meat for a non-aspirated car. I had a '90 Mitsubishi AWD turbo Eclipse, and put on a bigger 16 G turbo, exhaust, fuel controller, and more. It was a quick car for its time, and even more so with my mods. But with all that, if I anticipated any need for immediate thrust, I needed to downshift a few gears to get my turbo spinning.

Even my QV is pretty lethargic below maybe 3000 rpm. So if a turbo driver is caught off boost, he likely gonna be schooled by a NA car from a jump.

For all that, I never ever give or accept a challenge anymore, gave that up years ago. NV

Here is what 500 stout ponies looks like:

·
Registered
2020 Giulia
702 Posts
That’s why in a forced induction car you must always be brake boosting. Always; at all times. Brakes are only there for boosting. Stopping is for pussies. You might as well run your car into a cement barrier if you lose anyways.

Be like this guy:

2:25 for the fireworks show.

·
Registered
2020 Giulia QV
61 Posts
That’s why in a forced induction car you must always be brake boosting. Always; at all times. Brakes are only there for boosting. Stopping is for pussies. You might as well run your car into a cement barrier if you lose anyways.

Be like this guy:

2:25 for the fireworks show.
Untill... (not directly related sort of 4:49 for the toasty part)

·
Registered
2021 Giulia Sprint
140 Posts

·
Registered
7,478 Posts
  • Haha
Reactions: AlfaRocket and C.Q4

·
Registered
50 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
Did the "Scion" look like this? I know a few people seem to mistake Stingers for Scions for some reason, and they have 300 - 368 hp. It would make sense in context. Really you can get around 300 hp from a stock Camry, Sonata, K5, and a few other somewhat mundane looking cars at this point. While stoplight racing is bad, at least you looked better doing it.

No, It definitely isn’t a Stinger , or A GT for that matter, way more boxy looking .

·
Registered
7,478 Posts

·
Registered
7,478 Posts

·
Registered
2021 Giulia Sprint
140 Posts
In reverse on snow?
Yes! Scandinavian flicks while reversing is seriously next level bucket list stuff. The Scion never saw that coming!

Reactions: Chipshot

·
Registered
2018 Giulia Q4 TI
62 Posts
I did a dig against my brothers 500 Abarth (intake, bigger wastegate, increased boost), he had the jump, and I was playing catchup after that.

At the time all I had was the BMS filter, in D mode, and the car had to down from 6th to 2nd; while he was already in 2nd gear.

He won't rematch with me manual shifting and being in the correct gear.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts