Alfa Romeo Giulia Forum banner
1 - 20 of 172 Posts

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have now had my Alfa Giulia Q4 Ti for over six months. My window sticker promised Apple CarPlay "prewired for". I have an email from a top North American Alfa executive stating that CarPlay would be provided to all Giulia 2018 buyers, some with a software update sometime in the first quarter of 2018. Despite promising CarPlay for 2018 in media and press releases, Alfa has done ZERO to communicate status of the feature delivery to buyers whose cars did not have the software at the time of purchase. So, an important feature promised - zero delivery by Alfa for over six months - zero communications on their plan to honor the promise.

Is it time now for a class action lawsuit? Is a lawsuit the only way to wake Alfa up and get them to do the very simple task of delivering the software to those whose cars are "pre-wired for Apple CarPlay"?

Any lawyers in the audience or do we just have dentists? Not that there is anything wrong with dentists. Some of my best friends . . .

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
YouTube "The Jerky Boys" Saul Rosenberg.....A classic interaction with an ambulance chasing attorney.....:laugh:

·
Registered
303 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
I am thinking of engaging Tony Soprano. I think he has law knowledge and experience getting people to honor their commitments.

·
Registered
448 Posts
I have now had my Alfa Giulia Q4 Ti for over six months. My window sticker promised Apple CarPlay "prewired for". I have an email from a top North American Alfa executive stating that CarPlay would be provided to all Giulia 2018 buyers, some with a software update sometime in the first quarter of 2018. Despite promising CarPlay for 2018 in media and press releases, Alfa has done ZERO to communicate status of the feature delivery to buyers whose cars did not have the software at the time of purchase. So, an important feature promised - zero delivery by Alfa for over six months - zero communications on their plan to honor the promise.

Is it time now for a class action lawsuit? Is a lawsuit the only way to wake Alfa up and get them to do the very simple task of delivering the software to those whose cars are "pre-wired for Apple CarPlay"?

Any lawyers in the audience or do we just have dentists? Not that there is anything wrong with dentists. Some of my best friends . . .

I almost went with a car that was only pre-wired. I'm so glad that I picked the one that had a working carplay installed. I think Saul Goodman would be a good attorney for this case.:smile2:

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Saul Goodman ???

Reactions: Chipshot

·
Registered
443 Posts
Unfortunately it doesn't seem like there is any standing for a suit. The cars are indeed pre-wired for car play and an email from an executive does not constitute contract to provide services. At best you can get them on deceptive advertising but I don't see an upside in going after them legally.

As this is a car enthusiast site, I'm guessing car play wasn't the make or break in your decision to buy your car. Let it go and don't let it impact your enjoyment.

·
Registered
133 Posts
There is an Alfa Romeo Cares account here right? I think it's time for this account to stand out and say something..

·
Registered
402 Posts
They made a promise, they broke the promise. "pre-wired" means, from the dictionary:

pre·wire
prēˈwīər/Submit
verb
past tense: prewired; past participle: prewired
wire (something requiring electrical circuitry) in advance of usual installation.

Here, Alfa has broken it's promise of the "usual installation." The e-mail from the executive promises that it will be done in the first quarter of this year, didn't happen. And I'd say usual for a car to have something installed that is pre-wired is long before the next model year is about to come out.

Yes, I think there is merit in a class-action suit by those who bought the pre-wired vehicles. The cost to them is not only the extra money for the pre-wired version, but the fact they could have gone with a less expensive MY 17, or chosen a totally different vehicle (leading to unjust enrichment for FCA due to its deceptive advertising).

·
Registered
765 Posts
They made a promise, they broke the promise. "pre-wired" means, from the dictionary:

pre·wire
prēˈwīər/Submit
verb
past tense: prewired; past participle: prewired
wire (something requiring electrical circuitry) in advance of usual).
Haha. So the definition of pre-wired is pre-wired. Thanks for clarifying.

·
Registered
359 Posts
What's the point of "pre-wired" status if there is never any update to enable ACP and AA functionality?

I had two dealers confirm that 2018 model year Giulias would have ACP/AA prior to placing my custom order in June of 2017. This was bolstered by FCA corporate documentation that stated that 2018MY Giulias would have ACP/AA as standard.

Many of us had built sheets that we could see online that went from stating ACP/AA on the feature list to having it removed in later revisions of the build sheet.

ACP/AA isn't the only thing FCA/Alfa screwed some of us on. I originally ordered the 19" Y spoke wheels in June of 2017. Sometime around August this went missing from my build sheet and my car was delivered with 19" Dark Holes.

So Alfa has a history of taking an order, changing it, and not delivering what was ordered. All while never contacting the customer or the customer's dealer to let them know or discuss the changes. My dealer was great, we worked it out about the wheels, but it really wasn't my dealer's problem to work out. Alfa was selling something they took an order for and couldn't deliver it to the spec.

Attachments

·
Registered
2018 Ti Sport Q2
1,180 Posts
FWIW, I made sure my car had CarPlay before I signed on the doted line two months ago. And since then, i've used CarPlay a grad total of 0 times. BlueTooth audio seems to suit my real-world-needs. (IMHO, you're really not missing out on a whole lot without CarPlay)

·
Registered
448 Posts
FWIW, I made sure my car had CarPlay before I signed on the doted line two months ago. And since then, i've used CarPlay a grad total of 0 times. BlueTooth audio seems to suit my real-world-needs. (IMHO, you're really not missing out on a whole lot without CarPlay)
I'm the opposite. I've only used the factory NAV probably twice. It doesn't even compare to the Apple CarPlay navigation.

·
Registered
2018 Ti Sport Q2
1,180 Posts
I'm the opposite. I've only used the factory NAV probably twice. It doesn't even compare to the Apple CarPlay navigation.

I haven't used the factory NAV. I do use Apple Maps, and the audio is piped through to the car speakers via bluetooth, and that seems to suffice so far, for me.

Cheers

·
Registered
1,807 Posts
Saul Goodman from Breaking Bad / Better Call Saul
Oh....don't watch TV except to watch "The NHL Network" and Hockey games....

Actually did watch "Carlito's Way" the other day....

·
Registered
‘19 Giulia Ti Sport Q4
3,887 Posts
It is certainly a dissatisfying situation for those who expected ACP/AA based on Alfa's frequent statements that the feature was standard on all MY18s. It is fundamentally offensive to all moral people for a seller to say something is included with a purchase and then not to included it. In many cases, this kind of behavior is also criminal.

Additionally, we know that car connectivity features are not only a rapidly growing feature segment and significant point of auto advertising, but also that car connectivity is an important factor in car purchasing decisions. McKinsey & Co. surveys of more than 3k recent car buyers in NoAm/EU/Asia markets found a doubling of willingness to switch brands for better connectivity between '14 and '15; in light of the 60% rate they found in China, it stands to reason that the global 37% average in '15 is even higher today in '18.

Point being, this is not a trivial issue, and therefore those who suggest Giulia owners should just "get over it" are both out of touch with the marketplace and trends, and offensively inconsiderate.

·
Registered
443 Posts
While it might not be a trivial issue that is not what matters in a court of law.

Two questions matter if you guys want to go the class action route:
1) Were customers *intentionally* deceived in a strategic manner
And if yes
2) what are the damages

The first bar is difficult but not impossible to cross but damages is the real tough one. Ican't imagine damages to be more than a few hundred dollars per participant, minus lawyer fees, etc. Probably less than $100 into your pocket even with a multi-million dollar settlement.

If $80 is what you want, then go for it! Get a lawyer, form a class, and fight the good fight. If working Car Play/Android Auto is what you want then the LAST thing you want is a lawyer involved.

Lawyers mean that FCA will circle the wagons. All the help we could otherwise get from Alfa Care and Dealers and friendly executives will be GONE. All work on fixing the problem will STOP because it could be viewed by a court as a tacit admission of a flaw.

As any former military or Nat Sec guys know, Strategy dictated by emotions will always result in failure. Strategy dictated by achieving the end goal will have a far higher chance of success.

Decide what that end goal is devoid of emotion then take action.

1 - 20 of 172 Posts